PDA

View Full Version : Orthodox Jewish Couple Sues Over Motion-Sensing Light

megimoo
07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Orthodox Jewish Couple Imprisoned By Superstition, Blames Motion-Sensing Light Instead

"It is an interesting question for a rabbi .Keeping the Sabbath requires no work not even turning on a light .
If a proximity sensor detects your presence is that the same as work ?"
" These are the questions that cross a rabbi's eyes !"

Was that headline mean? I'm sorry, but the silliness of this story, which centers around one couple's quest to annoy/sue the hell out of their entire apartment building, warranted it. The ridiculous story unfolds like this:

On Saturdays, Dr. Dena Coleman and her husband Gordon claim they are imprisoned in their condo because the landlord went and installed a motion-sensing security light to save energy and money. As Orthodox Jews, they say triggering the light violates a Sabbath rule, so they sued. Which rule? The Promethean one:

[The couple] claim they cannot leave their holiday flat on the Sabbath because when they do they automatically trigger the light in the communal hallway - contravening a religious ban on turning on electrical items from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday because it constitutes 'creating fire'. They say their human rights are being breached and are now suing the flats' management company - their neighbours - for failing to accommodate their religion.

Of the 35 other owners in the complex, not a single one of them supports the Colemans' lawsuit or their suggested fix, which entails forcing the management company to install a custom override switch. Oh, and management and the other tenants must pay back all the legal costs too.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that this is just the couple's holiday flat.

http://gizmodo.com/5317968/orthodox-jewish-couple-imprisoned-by-superstition-blames-motion+sensing-light-instead

FeebMaster
07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
What are they doing going out on the Sabbath?

Rockntractor
07-19-2009, 08:42 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/2118_animado.gif?t=1248050524

megimoo
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
What are they doing going out on the Sabbath?A Sabbaths day journey is permitted !

megimoo
07-19-2009, 09:10 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/2118_animado.gif?t=1248050524Naw he wont bite on this one.

FeebMaster
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
A Sabbaths day journey is permitted !

Can they enter a building that has lights on or do they just wander around outside?

Rockntractor
07-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Can they enter a building that has lights on or do they just wander around outside?
They are not supposed to kindle a fire. By activating a motion sensor they are not. The electric company kindled the fire.

FeebMaster
07-19-2009, 10:07 PM
They are not supposed to kindle a fire. By activating a motion sensor they are not. The electric company kindled the fire.

I don't disagree, but they seem to.

Rockntractor
07-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't disagree, but they seem to.
I was raised Seventh day Adventist. We followed jewish law. On friday evening we all had to have our baths or showers done by sundown or it meant an ass whoopin. It was strange how the ass whoopin was ok on the sabbath though!

samurai
07-19-2009, 11:44 PM
That's insane... they aren't doing anything but walking by, they need to loosen up. How do people like that even operate in a modern world?

megimoo
07-20-2009, 03:04 AM
That's insane... they aren't doing anything but walking by, they need to loosen up. How do people like that even operate in a modern world?I ain't easy .When I was a kid every Saturday A Jewish woman would give me a quarter to light her gas oven so she could bake bread.The Talmud says it unlawful to light the oven but if it is lit they can cook !

FeebMaster
07-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I ain't easy .When I was a kid every Saturday A Jewish woman would give me a quarter to light her gas oven so she could bake bread.The Talmud says it unlawful to light the oven but if it is lit they can cook !

She paid you to sin for her? I wonder what God thinks of that.

linda22003
07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
It's a matter of what YOU have to do versus what is already happening. The example Joe Lieberman gave was that he could not drive on the Sabbath, but he could take the Metro, because those trains were running anyway - they weren't something that had to be run for him, or by him.

It sounds like the Orthodox couple in this example is misinformed - if the light comes on without their turning it on, there's no issue.

megimoo
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
She paid you to sin for her? I wonder what God thinks of that.I am not Jewish so it's not a sin for me !

FeebMaster
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I am not Jewish so it's not a sin for me !

But it is for her. Kind of a cheesy loophole if you can get a nonbeliever to do your sinning for you.

megimoo
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM
But it is for her. Kind of a cheesy loophole if you can get a nonbeliever to do your sinning for you.How is it a sin for her ?She didn't light the oven the sin is in the actual act if one is under the old testament law .You would make a lousy rabbi,you lack logical finesse .

FeebMaster
07-20-2009, 06:43 PM
How is it a sin for her ?She didn't light the oven the sin is in the actual act if one is under the old testament law .You would make a lousy rabbi,you lack logical finesse .

What's the point of having the prohibition if you can just have someone else take the action for you? Personally, I think I'd go without fire for a day or leave the oven running overnight. Old Testament God was kind of a bad ass. Probably best not to take your chances.

I'd make an awesome rabbi.

megimoo
07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
What's the point of having the prohibition if you can just have someone else take the action for you? Personally, I think I'd go without fire for a day or leave the oven running overnight. Old Testament God was kind of a bad ass. Probably best not to take your chances.

I'd make an awesome rabbi.you'ld faint when they cut your little wilbur !