PDA

View Full Version : I ate out of a trash can yesterday...

Rockntractor
07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
here_is_to_hope (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-19-09 12:05 PM
Original message
I ate out of a trash can yesterday...
The wife, child and I went to a local waterpark for some cooling off, on the way in, we finished off a can of Coke so I stashed the can in order to grab it on the way out (its worth a nickel).
A do-gooder picked up my can and tossed it in the trash can so I went digging for it.
I found my can-along with two other cans and came across a Burger King bag full of some of kind breakfast croissant things.
There were 8 of them in the bag along with the receipt showing they were purchased at 1435, I found them at 1550...still warm.
12.00 and some one threw them away.
I ate three of them, shared two with a squirrel and two went to my dog.
I gave the last one to a raccoon last night.
Saddens me that in this land of so much hunger and want that some people will buy and then toss such thing.
Hmph.
I am not so poor as to eat out of trash cans any more but I remember, back in the day how a score like this would have made my week.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6101943

troubledamerican (430 posts) Sun Jul-19-09 02:37 PM
Response to Original message
12. Top 5 Reasons NOT to eat from trash
I have been homeless. I have eaten from trash cans.

Here is what I learned:

Rejected items are placed in garbage cans for a reason, very often.

Reasons NOT to eat from trash:

(1) The first croissant was found with pieces of broken glass in it. The others were trashed as a precaution.

(2) The first croissant tasted like oven cleaner, which it probably fell in a patch of. The others were trashed.

(3) The first croissant contained a dead cockroach, or a living one. The others were trashed.

(4) The first croissant had a dirty boot-print on the inside of the wrapper. The others were trashed.

(5) The first croissant had rancid meat product, or human hair, or human fluids angrily put there by an employee.

There's very often a reason why useful-looking items are in the trash.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6101943
I should have posted this on the whats for dinner thread!

patriot45
07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I should have posted this on the whats for dinner thread!

I think this is a sport to those idiots! Imagine DUmpster diving! :D

SarasotaRepub
07-19-2009, 09:36 PM

They pretend it is. :D

megimoo
07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
It's part of the 'Look at poor little Me Syndrome 'Some use to advantage .
Something like "I was walking through the broken glass last night and thought of you. "

NJCardFan
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Since when can you get breakfast items at BK at 2:50pm?

linda22003
07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Here's the best post on the thread:

"I remember making a pot of chili that lasted almost 9 days, then it got some green stuff on the top, I just couldn't stretch it any longer." :eek:

Some go off topic with wedding expenses. I can understand wanting a cheap wedding, but they don't have a right to say others shouldn't spend big bucks on theirs.

linda22003
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
The OP (Dumpster Diver) also posted this:

"I eat the most insane ways sometimes.
But its rare I eat out the throwaways.
At Church today we had a BBQ and the kids were tossing burgers without even a bite out of them.
My compost pile is going to be huge this year."

Who puts MEAT in a compost pile???

ralph wiggum
07-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I can understand wanting a cheap wedding, but they don't have a right to say others shouldn't spend big bucks on theirs.

Some of the DUmmies think that there should be a limit to everything. Size of salaries, houses, weddings, etc...

Gingersnap
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
The OP (Dumpster Diver) also posted this:

"I eat the most insane ways sometimes.
But its rare I eat out the throwaways.
At Church today we had a BBQ and the kids were tossing burgers without even a bite out of them.
My compost pile is going to be huge this year."

Who puts MEAT in a compost pile???

The same people who would eat chili until it turned green. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I can't believe it ! The smart add feature at the top off our page is advertising dumpsters!

Phillygirl
07-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I can't believe it ! The smart add feature at the top off our page is advertising dumpsters!

and "simplehuman" :D

megimoo
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
The same people who would eat chili until it turned green. :rolleyes:
Now That's different .Hairy Green chilli's is a delicacy .

megimoo
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I can't believe it ! The smart add feature at the top off our page is advertising dumpsters!They are keyed from the text in the op !

noonwitch
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's the best post on the thread:

"I remember making a pot of chili that lasted almost 9 days, then it got some green stuff on the top, I just couldn't stretch it any longer." :eek:

Some go off topic with wedding expenses. I can understand wanting a cheap wedding, but they don't have a right to say others shouldn't spend big bucks on theirs.

I do most of my cooking on weekends. Garbage day is Thursday. Anything I cooked that isn't eaten or given away by Wednesday night gets either frozen or thrown out. I go grocery shopping on Thursday night. Not counting baked goods, of course, which have a longer shelf life.

I might be wasteful sometimes, but I don't let anything go bad in my fridge. It's too disgusting.