PDA

View Full Version : Boy to hit the 555-pound mark by age 14.

Rockntractor
07-20-2009, 08:00 PM
S.C. case looks on child obesity as child abuse. But is it?
By Ron Barnett, USA TODAY
Jerri Gray was doing all she could to help her son lose weight, her attorney says. But something had gone terribly wrong for the boy to hit the 555-pound mark by age 14.

Authorities in South Carolina say that what went wrong was Gray's care and feeding of her son, Alexander Draper. Gray, 49, of Travelers Rest, S.C., was arrested in June and charged with criminal neglect. Alexander is now in foster care.

The case has attracted national attention. With childhood obesity on the rise across the USA, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Gray's attorney says it could open the door to more criminal action against parents whose children have become dangerously overweight.

"If she's found guilty on those criminal charges, you have set a precedent that opens Pandora's box," Grant Varner says. "Where do you go next?"

State courts in Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, New Mexico, Indiana and California have grappled with the question in recent years, according to a 2008 report published by the Child Welfare League of America.

In all of those cases, except the one in California, courts expanded their state's legal definition of medical neglect to include morbid obesity and ruled that the children were victims of neglect, the report says. Criminal charges were filed only in the California and Indiana cases, but the parents weren't sentenced to jail time in either.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2009-07-20-obesityboy_N.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno

PoliCon
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2009-07-20-obesityboy_N.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno

pretty soon taking kids to church will be child abuse. :rolleyes:

Teetop
07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Walking a razor blade...

When I was young, I lived to be outdoors.

I guess, I just don't understand kids today.

Gingersnap
07-21-2009, 11:12 AM
In the South Carolina case, Gray followed nutritional guidelines set for her son by the state Department of Social Services, Varner says, but Alexander apparently got other food on his own while not under his mother's supervision.

Exactly what can you do with a defiant 14 year old who would rather eat than do anything else? Do you imprison him? Do you homeschool him?

Shannon
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Rush is on a roll about porkers right now.

linda22003
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Defending them? He isn't really in a position to take them to task.

Shannon
07-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Defending them? He isn't really in a position to take them to task.

Oh, hush. He was talking about smokers then got in to the porker thing.

He's not fat anymore, btw.:mad:

linda22003
07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
He may not be. The last time I saw him on TV was the CPAC meeting on 2/27, and he was an absolute moose. If he has lost a lot of weight in the last five months, then I am wrong.

http://forthardknox.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/rush.png

linda22003
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
It just occurred to me.... if Shannon says Rush isn't fat, this casts new light on her assessment of her own size.... hmmm....:cool:

Shannon
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
It just occurred to me.... if Shannon says Rush isn't fat, this casts new light on her assessment of her own size.... hmmm....:cool:

:mad:

I haven't seen him lately. A couple of weeks ago he said that he has lost some 70lbs. I just assumed that one wouldn't be fat anymore after losing so much weight.:o

linda22003
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
If he's lost 70 lbs since CPAC, good for him, because he was huge, and sweating profusely (not a sign of someone in great shape). If he's losing and gaining over and over, that's worse for him than just staying pudgy in one place.

Zafod
07-21-2009, 02:28 PM
He may not be. The last time I saw him on TV was the CPAC meeting on 2/27, and he was an absolute moose. If he has lost a lot of weight in the last five months, then I am wrong.

http://forthardknox.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/rush.png

like Ron white said "now I know I am chunky and flabby and chubby over all but I am not a big fat fuck!" and that kid is a big fat fuck....

Zafod
07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
also being fat at 50 is different than being a big fat fuck at 14....

noonwitch
07-21-2009, 04:20 PM
This is an extreme case. This kid is going to die young without some kind of intervention. I'm sure that somewhere, there is a residential or hospital program that can address this kid's needs. They need to get him exercising immediately, but under a medical professional's supervision.

PoliCon
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm glad to see that bigotry against fat people is still alive and well. :rolleyes:

linda22003
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
You're defending 500+ pounds on a fourteen year old? It's not bigotry, it's life threatening - and can be reversed by the person's own behavior!

PoliCon
07-21-2009, 04:54 PM
You're defending 500+ pounds on a fourteen year old? It's not bigotry, it's life threatening - and can be reversed by the person's own behavior!

Can it? are you sure about that?

Gingersnap
07-21-2009, 05:05 PM
You're essentially advocating that the boy be incarcerated for four years. While I understand the health implications of absurd fatness, I don't see how those implications are worse (for the four year period) than the health implications of parkour, snowboarding, hard partying, promiscuous sex, or recreational drug use.

I'm not really for any of those activities but I don't believe you should be locked up for doing them, either.

Making parents responsible for teenage eating and imprisoning fat kids are both dicey propositions in my mind. The scope for governmental abuse is just huge.

Jumpy
07-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Exactly what can you do with a defiant 14 year old who would rather eat than do anything else? Do you imprison him? Do you homeschool him?
You don't buy junk food. Let him get a job to support his habit.

satanica
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Ummm, as a parent you control his food intake and make sure he has a balanced diet.

But thats just me.

PoliCon
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
right and over eating is absolutely the only way that people gain weight???

Gingersnap
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Ummm, as a parent you control his food intake and make sure he has a balanced diet.

But thats just me.

Did you just hatch out at the age of 47 or something? The kid can eat at school, he can buy stuff, he can eat at his friends' houses, he can even steal food (I know of a fat kid who routinely stole food).

I was certainly capable of evading my parents to a large degree at that age. I might have had to toe the line in front of them but I was perfectly able to get around them if I was motivated enough.

Shannon
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
right and over eating is absolutely the only way that people gain weight???

Ohhhhh, you are a porker. Sorry. Is it your thyroid? It's always the thyroid.;)

PoliCon
07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Ohhhhh, you are a porker. Sorry. Is it your thyroid? It's always the thyroid.;)

Actually - my best friend has that problem. I know other people who have issues due to being on steroids - and weight gain is prevalent amongst the sexually abused who use the weight as a shield. :(

Gingersnap
07-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Actually - my best friend has that problem. I know other people who have issues due to being on steroids - and weight gain is prevalent amongst the sexually abused who use the weight as a shield. :(

Steroids do cause weight gain but not to the 500 lb. level. I'm on thyroid replacement meds and this is a frequently over-blown excuse. If you are getting your levels tested and medicated, you are no more prone to weight gain than a normal person.

I've heard that sex abuse can lead to weight gain as an avoidance measure. Here again, getting treated for the real problem will eliminate the weight problem.

I think that at least part of obesity problem is due to desensitization. Back in the day, Ethel on "I Love Lucy" was widely considered to be hugely fat as was Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith show. Today both of those women would be considered "normal" weight for their age.

We've just gotten used to very large people. There's no big social or professional downside to fatness. That is to say, there is no widely acknowledged downside that would change behavior today.

In real life, everybody knows that ambitious white collar people can't be fat and get anywhere. Fatness is accepted for low level jobs, government jobs, teaching, even nurses but not for fast track people. It's odd.

PoliCon
07-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Steroids do cause weight gain but not to the 500 lb. level. I'm on thyroid replacement meds and this is a frequently over-blown excuse. If you are getting your levels tested and medicated, you are no more prone to weight gain than a normal person.

I've heard that sex abuse can lead to weight gain as an avoidance measure. Here again, getting treated for the real problem will eliminate the weight problem.

I think that at least part of obesity problem is due to desensitization. Back in the day, Ethel on "I Love Lucy" was widely considered to be hugely fat as was Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith show. Today both of those women would be considered "normal" weight for their age.

We've just gotten used to very large people. There's no big social or professional downside to fatness. That is to say, there is no widely acknowledged downside that would change behavior today.

In real life, everybody knows that ambitious white collar people can't be fat and get anywhere. Fatness is accepted for low level jobs, government jobs, teaching, even nurses but not for fast track people. It's odd.

because it is the last acceptable bastion of pointless hate and bigotry. It's culturally acceptable to treat fat people as lesser beings and to disregard their feelings and worth.

Gingersnap
07-21-2009, 10:44 PM
because it is the last acceptable bastion of pointless hate and bigotry. It's culturally acceptable to treat fat people as lesser beings and to disregard their feelings and worth.

In business, there's a pervasive idea that fat people (male or female) are less ambitious, less hard working, more prone to lazy short cuts, and less able to relate to clients (fat or thin). The idea is that your body (like your car, your family, and your hobbies) reflects on your personal "style". A fat body, chaotic family, ugly car, or witless hobby spells LOSER in business terms.

It's not right but it does happen. Since a lot of business relationships are made on short notice with little or no personal recommendation, people judge on first impressions. Those impressions generally happen in 15 minute segments. Sad but true.