PDA

View Full Version : CBO deals new blow to health plan

Teetop
07-25-2009, 05:30 PM
For the second time this month, congressional budget analysts have dealt a blow to the Democrat's health reform efforts, this time by saying a plan touted by the White House as crucial to paying for the bill would actually save almost no money over 10 years.

A key House chairman and moderate House Democrats on Tuesday agreed to a White House-backed proposal that would give an outside panel the power to make cuts to government-financed health care programs. White House budget director Peter Orszag declared the plan "probably the most important piece that can be added" to the House's health care reform legislation.

But on Saturday, the Congressional Budget Office said the proposal to give an independent panel the power to keep Medicare spending in check would only save about $2 billion over 10 years- a drop in the bucket compared to the bill's $1 trillion price tag.

"In CBO's judgment, the probability is high that no savings would be realized ... but there is also a chance that substantial savings might be realized. Looking beyond the 10-year budget window, CBO expects that this proposal would generate larger but still modest savings on the same probabilistic basis," CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf wrote in a letter to House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer on Saturday.

Via Politico. (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25415.html)
If it looks like dog $&!#, and smells like dog $&!#. I hope to God, we don't step in the dog $&!#!

lacarnut
07-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Via Politico. (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25415.html)

If it looks like dog $&!#, and smells like dog $&!#. I hope to God, we don't step in the dog $&!#!

If this dog shit passes, we will be in deep doo doo.

BadCat
07-25-2009, 10:13 PM
If this dog shit passes, we will be in deep doo doo.

I think this is what will happen...

Nancy is going to push a vote before the August recess. A whole bunch of Dims are going on record as supporting this atrocity.

The Senate is going to burn the thing.

A whole bunch of Dim congressfolk just fell on the sword for Nancy and Obumble.

lacarnut
07-25-2009, 10:25 PM

Nancy is going to push a vote before the August recess. A whole bunch of Dims are going on record as supporting this atrocity.

I feel sure that a Senate vote will not take place for a couple of months. I called my liberal senator and the bitch did not return my call. She has voice mail so I sent her an e-mail expressing my displeasure of this bill and got a form letter back. I will try again Monday. If she votes for cap and trade (being in an energy state like LA), she will be dead meat. She just got re-elected though.

Teetop
07-26-2009, 12:05 AM

I agree.

In 2010 the congress will look much differently than it does now. Just from this one issue.

Not to mention "cap and trade" legislation. :rolleyes:

ironhorsedriver
07-26-2009, 06:15 PM
The Dems don't care. They'll let later generations worry about the bill, or blame it all on conservatives messing the bill up. Not a single one of the bozos will have to recieve care under this bill, why should they care.

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 02:18 AM
They'll push a vote in August, which will tear through the house but likely fall short in the Senate. The economic turnaround however will probably be more substantial by the time the recess ends and it will be all the wind healthcare's sails will need.

Our old broken healthcare system was never going to go down without a fight, here we see the "Custer's Last Stand" of our terrible system.

Sonnabend
07-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Our old broken healthcare system was never going to go down without a fight, here we see the "Custer's Last Stand" of our terrible system.

Our "esteemed leader" KRudd wants to federalise the entire health system. At an optimistic estimate, it will costs $10 BILLION per year

Foe 21 million people.

The US has over 300 million.

Do the math.

Jfor
07-27-2009, 08:22 AM

And what is broken with our current system?

marinejcksn
07-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Read "The Top Ten Myths of American Health Care" (http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9981) by Sally Pipes to get a feel of just how shody the Presidents straw man arguements really are.

Universal Health Care is a death sentance. It leads to rationing and worse care for everybody, while the Bourgeoisie politicians wont have to receive the poor level of care the rest of us will get. Look at the thousands of Horror stories you can read coming out of Britain and Canada and then try to imagine their systems tried on a county as large as ours.

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm not going to read an article targeted at a demographic who wont bother to really check it's validity.

There are thousands of horror stories from America too ya'know? Like how a good chunk of my premiums go towards people who use the emergency room as thier primary care doctor. The praise of sanctity each side is heaving at itself regarding this issue is rather sickening, even the president is doing it (and he usually avoids doing that). Our system, the proposed plan and single-payer system, these are three very distinct healthcare methods by the way, have pros and cons.

I think it's fairly clear with something like 60% of bankruptcies now being due to healthcare bills that the current system probably needs an overhaul.

Jfor
07-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not going to read an article targeted at a demographic who wont bother to really check it's validity.

There are thousands of horror stories from America too ya'know? Like how a good chunk of my premiums go towards people who use the emergency room as thier primary care doctor. The praise of sanctity each side is heaving at itself regarding this issue is rather sickening, even the president is doing it (and he usually avoids doing that). Our system, the proposed plan and single-payer system, these are three very distinct healthcare methods by the way, have pros and cons.

I think it's fairly clear with something like 60% of bankruptcies now being due to healthcare bills that the current system probably needs an overhaul.

So Politico is a right wing site? News to me.

enslaved1
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM

That is a valid point. However, the proposed plans aren't going to fix the issues that are present in our insurance/payment system. Issues like legal costs, taxes, fees, laws, licenses ect making it difficult for care and insurance providers to cut costs and stay in business. We need to get the government and politicians OUT of health care and insurance, not hand the whole kit and caboodle over to them.

lacarnut
07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
And what is broken with our current system?

Jatty is just blowing more of that liberal smoke that Obama keeps coming up with. 75% of the people are satisfied with the system they have. Fix it for the ones that do not have health care and leave the rest of alone.

Teetop
07-27-2009, 11:06 PM

Yeah, ignore reality...

The moniker droid, fits.:rolleyes:

Look at my premium, hasn't went up in two years. Maybe because it's a great premium?

No thanks, I'll stick with what I have, and please. No new taxes on it!:eek:

Teetop
07-27-2009, 11:08 PM
So Politico is a right wing site? News to me.

What's more interesting is, the URL is to the non-partisan CBO....

:D

Teetop
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM

Really?! :confused:

Stats? URL's. Links.

ANYTHING?! To back up your claim? :rolleyes:

Japandroid
07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/bankruptcy_study.html

Rockntractor
07-28-2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/bankruptcy_study.html

Danged old yankee harvard outfit!