PDA

View Full Version : I use a bicycle for most of my transportation.

Rockntractor
07-26-2009, 11:51 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6156868

taterguy (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-26-09 06:40 PM
Original message
If we're handing out cash for higher mileage vehicles; WHERE THE HELL'S MY MONEY?
Sorry, but this really sticks in my craw.

I use a bicycle for most of my transportation.

I do it for a lot of reasons.

One, but not the only, is that I felt silly in 1990 chanting NO BLOOD FOR OIL.

So now we have this spiffy new government program. If you have a vehicle which gets low mileage (Most of which were bought after the 1990 war; and 99% of which were bought after the 1970s Energy Crisis), the government gives you $4,000 for buying a new vehicle, but it has to be a car.

I don't ask for much.

I accept that in my area there's not going to be any investment in making it safe for me to bike to work; despite the fact that a considerable portion of the money the government spends for road building and and maintenance comes from general revenue funds. I've read my city's budget. It's several million dollars, and that doesn't count state and federal expenditures.

So I bike to work anyway, despite the fact that the only road that leads to my employer has been officially designated "Unsuitable for bicycles", and that there are abandoned railroad tracks next to this road that would make an ideal bike path.

But now I need a new bike. It would only cost $500, because my friendly local bike shop owner likes me.

Could I please have a little more than 10% of what you car folks are getting?

Please?

obliviously (642 posts) Sun Jul-26-09 10:45 PM
Response to Original message
32. And you cause traffic problems
and dangerous situations on busy streets everyday! Plus the carbon you expell as you belch and fart yor way down the road!
Do you ever have days you just feel mean?

Apocalypse
07-27-2009, 12:08 AM
taterguy[/B] ] 9. I spend lots of money on shit I don't need

The money I don't spend on gas is spent on beer and smokes.
:rolleyes:

Hassin Bin Sober[/B] ]4. And while we are at it, I want tax credits for kids I don't have.

And a write off for a second home I don't own.

And a free school lunch.

I'm not adopting I child but I hear that gets you a nice junk. Where's mine?

ralph wiggum
07-27-2009, 12:10 AM
I felt silly in 1990 chanting NO BLOOD FOR OIL.

You should feel like a dumb-ass every day for chanting that.

Rockntractor
07-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I have to pass these assholes on narrow roads when I am pulling the tractor all the time. I don't give them much room! We spent millions building them a bike riding trail along the arkansas river and then connecting that to old railroad tracks and paving them to. And thy still go out and joy ride like they own the road.

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Having cabs honk and the corporate slaves whine as I ride through the left turn lane at Wabash and Wacker brings a unbeatable smile to my face. My 1984 Miyata gets pretty unbeatable mileage for a vehicle it's age.

Sonnabend
07-27-2009, 05:27 AM
Having cabs honk and the corporate slaves whine as I ride through the left turn lane at Wabash and Wacker brings a unbeatable smile to my face. My 1984 Miyata gets pretty unbeatable mileage for a vehicle it's age.

Zipping past in warm, dry comfort in my car brings an unbeatable smile to my face, every time I see a soaking wet, struggling cyclist trying to make his way in traffic as the rain pours down.

My 1988 Corolla CS hatch, with air con, heater and radio gives me great mileage and I don't arrive at my destination looking like a drowned rat.

"Corporate slave"? Dont tell me, you're an unemployed dole bludger like Satanica :rolleyes:.

SarasotaRepub
07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
taterguy (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-26-09 06:40 PM
Original message

But now I need a new bike. It would only cost $500, because my friendly local bike shop owner likes me.

Could I please have a little more than 10% of what you car folks are getting?

500 smackers??? WTF you elitist bastard, try going to Wal-Mart and getting
something for around $80. :mad::D

Milly
07-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Obviously, these nitwits don't have kids, or - if they do - they don't get involved in things like scouting, t-ball or soccer.

How do you transport a soccer team on a bicycle? Just askin'.

noonwitch
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
A lot of cities in the metro area have bike paths, so that the bikers don't interfere with the car traffic.

Royal Oak, Ferndale, and the People's Republic of Ann Arbor all have them. People who ride bikes to work tend to live in those communities, so it seems to be working.

CharlesCS
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm all for people riding their bikes. I just wish they left the rest of us alone. I enjoy bike riding from time to time but I am not sure my boss and co-workers would appreciate me being all sweaty and smelling in my semi-casual attire at work and I don't plan on taking showers every morning in the office restroom sink just to save money on gas and make everyone else feel their endorphins rise.

And $500 for a bike is like buying an electric car with chrome rims, a boss stereo system and leather seats. Sounds kinda hypocritical to me.

Gingersnap
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
And $500 for a bike is like buying an electric car with chrome rims, a boss stereo system and leather seats. Sounds kinda hypocritical to me.

I hate to stick up for a DUmmie but $500 for a commuter bike is perfectly reasonable. It's actually on the low/middle end of the spectrum.

I have biked to work from time to time (20 mile round trip) and a good commuter bike has necessary features that your Wally World bike doesn't have. Plus, bike commuting is actually really hard on the components of a bike. You don't want to break down on the way to work.

Now, I don't think he needs a bailout for his new bike but it's not like he's asking for a custom fixie or something really useless. ;)

Rockntractor
07-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Jappy your back. We thought you had sufficated! A Miyata is a chick car!

stsinner
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm all for people riding their bikes. I just wish they left the rest of us alone. I enjoy bike riding from time to time but I am not sure my boss and co-workers would appreciate me being all sweaty and smelling in my semi-casual attire at work and I don't plan on taking showers every morning in the office restroom sink just to save money on gas and make everyone else feel their endorphins rise.

Good point about leaving the rest of us alone-I'm married to a vegetarian, and as a rabid omnivore, I could never tolerate her if she was at all preachy, but she's great and just does it for her own reasons, even feeding our kids meat daily.. That's my kind of activist.. Have your opinions, and leave me alone!

Also a good point about being a stinky nuissance at work-I've only worked for one company that had a shower in the bathroom, otherwise it's a sponge bath when you arrive to work-nasty..

On the price of the bike, however, I'm going to have to disagree.. A cheap Wal-Mart bike is just plain hard to ride.. The wheels don't stay true, and the derailleurs don't stay tuned, so you have to deal with the annoying clicking sound of the chain trying to change gears your entire ride.. The cheap cables stretch, as do the cheap chains, and the feel is just crummy.. I have a $900 Specialized bicycle, and that's cheap!! The race I covered had several $5000 bicycles that could easily be made into $7000 with some upgrades..

Here's one of the pictures I took for example.. This girl is sitting on $4,000 easily:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/brassmonkey71/DSC_0034_2787.jpg

A $500 bicycle doesn't get you much... You can spend that on a good set of derailleurs..

Rockntractor
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Here's one of the pictures I took for example.. This girl is sitting on $4,000 easily:

A $500 bicycle doesn't get you much... You can spend that on a good set of derailleurs..

Thats a girl?

stsinner
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Thats a girl?

Yeah, when they get to that fitness level, it's hard to tell them apart... :eek:

CharlesCS
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
You guys/gals are right, I guess $500 isn't really that much for a bike. Still, it's expensive, especially for someone like me. I rode bike often in my youth and I did fine with any bike given to me. But going to work in bike is not an option for me at this point, not with the distance and kind of work I do. A motorcycle, perhaps (except on rainy days), but a bike. don't think so and I find it annoying for those who do use bikes to act as if everyone else can do it too when clearly no everyone can.

West Palm Beach has a lot of bike paths just about everywhere but I rarely see anyone suing them. i wouldn't want to ride a bike next to people who can't even keep their cars from getting a scratch within weeks of buying them.

Rockntractor
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah, when they get to that fitness level, it's hard to tell them apart... :eek:

I guess if you had just finished a long stay on a deserted island she would be hot!

stsinner
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
I guess if you had just finished a long stay on a deserted island she would be hot!

Yep, but otherwise, girls that no longer have a period because of the amount of testosterone in their body scare me...

Jfor
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Considering 1990 was the first year Miata's came to the US, I would guess you get about 1 gazillion MPG in your 84 miata.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Well Marko, if you actually had one, you would know it's a "Miata".

Jfor
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
And Miata's are total chick cars. By chick car, I don't mean the kind of car you pick up a chick in, I mean the kind of car that they drive.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 12:03 PM
And Miata's are total chick cars. By chick car, I don't mean the kind of car you pick up a chick in, I mean the kind of car that they drive.

Marko is a chicago metrosexual vegan freak.
You should his Twitter friends - what a bunch of fags, hippies and other assorted liberal losers.

Jfor
07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Marko is a chicago metrosexual vegan freak.
You should his Twitter friends - what a bunch of fags, hippies and other assorted liberal losers.

I'll take your word for it LOL I don't need a link either LMAO

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Actually no, it's a Miyata. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=miyata&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

As for getting wet? I'm fully capable of putting on a raincoat. And I work quite a bit, I just like to make fun of the beaten souls working in the gloomy towers.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually no, it's a Miyata. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=miyata&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

As for getting wet? I'm fully capable of putting on a raincoat. And I work quite a bit, I just like to make fun of the beaten souls working in the gloomy towers.

Sorry Marko. I'm not up on metrosexual means of transportation.

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry Marko. I'm not up on metrosexual means of transportation.

It's a bicycle.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
It's a bicycle.

Yes, that is what I said.

How's Jen?

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
No. You thought I was talking about the car.

Just admit you misread my first post and be done with it. You weren't even wrong in the same way you usually are, quit puffing your chest.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
No. You thought I was talking about the car.

Just admit you misread my first post and be done with it. You weren't even wrong in the same way you usually are, quit puffing your chest.

Yes, I did at first.
Then you said it wasn't a "Miata".
I said I wasn't familiar with "metrosexual means of transportation".
You said "It's a bicycle".
I was saying a bicycle is a "metrosexual means of transporation", and is perfect for a vegan freak loser like you.

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 12:58 PM
But I'm not a vegan. I dont necessarily know what makes a person a metrosexual in your eyes, but I'm fairly confident I'm not one of those either.

You're kind of just making things up in a desperate attempt to save some face.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
But I'm not a vegan. I dont necessarily know what makes a person a metrosexual in your eyes, but I'm fairly confident I'm not one of those either.

Which Jen H. is your wife?
There's a good looking one on facebook, then a butt ugly one. I'm guessing yours is the latter?

stsinner
07-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Let me Google that for you.. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=metrosexual)

CharlesCS
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
How the hell did we end up arguing about gays, Miata's, Miyatas and Jen from the original topic? Come one people, lets not lose focus here, it's probably why we lost in the elections.

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Which Jen H. is your wife?
There's a good looking one on facebook, then a butt ugly one. I'm guessing yours is the latter?

Jen. H who? I'm not married man.

Rockntractor
07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi jappy where yah been?

BadCat
07-27-2009, 04:15 PM

Oh I see.

Are you a white sox fan?

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes, like many many many other people in the world. I think you may have me confused with somebody else.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes, like many many many other people in the world. I think you may have me confused with somebody else.

I don't think so Marko.

lacarnut
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM

The dumb ass is probably thinking about a 84 Mazda RX-7 but who knows what this imbecile is riding.

Gingersnap
07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
How the hell did we end up arguing about gays, Miata's, Miyatas and Jen from the original topic? Come one people, lets not lose focus here, it's probably why we lost in the elections.

Good point.

Meanwhile, back to Bailouts for Bikes. :D

CharlesCS
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Meanwhile, back to Bailouts for Bikes

You would think the guy would at least ask for an electric bike. No emission, more distance and still a bike.

Gingersnap
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
You would think the guy would at least ask for an electric bike. No emission, more distance and still a bike.

Not enough pain. They want you to suffer to be green. :D

Japandroid
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Minus the exercise you get from riding a bike. It's pretty nice to get a days workout and a commute both out of the way at once.

As for those saying $500 is too much for a bike (I'm reading back on the thread), you're more than a little off. A good bicycle that will last you and ride well will at least run you $750, my Miyata is 25 years old and I would value it at about $800. I have an Azuki cruiser that somebody offered $600 for from '86 and I turned it down.

For those curious about my username it's what I unofficially have come to name my all 80's Japanese bike collection as, the "Japandroids".

Gingersnap
07-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Minus the exercise you get from riding a bike. It's pretty nice to get a days workout and a commute both out of the way at once.

True enough but even so - most of the people I know with e-bikes ride them in "normal" until they get to a pretty serious hill. They're great for towns built on rolling prairie. Being able to engage the motor on a really steep hill can be the difference between riding twice a day and riding twice a month for a lot of people.

BadCat
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM

As for those saying $500 is too much for a bike (I'm reading back on the thread), you're more than a little off. A good bicycle that will last you and ride well will at least run you $750, my Miyata is 25 years old and I would value it at about $800. I have an Azuki cruiser that somebody offered $600 for from '86 and I turned it down.

For those curious about my username it's what I unofficially have come to name my all 80's Japanese bike collection as, the "Japandroids".

C'mon Eyelids, how does a tool like you afford a $500 bike?

lacarnut
07-27-2009, 10:49 PM
C'mon Eyelids, how does a tool like you afford a $500 bike?

He picks one up at a police auction for a hundred bucks.

Mortalitus
07-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to say that the DUmmie poster in the op is wrong. It does not have to be a car.

I just got $4500 for trading in my gas guzzling pickup for another pickup that gets just slightly better gas mileage.

My wife traded in one SUV for another SUV.

THANKS OBAMA! Now I can continue my mission to destroy the environment and I owe it all to you!

Sonnabend
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
It's close to ten degrees in Sydney tonight. I sat at a set of lights next to a cyclist who is shivering in the cold. I just turned up the heater a little, smiled, waved, and drove off

Life is goooooood :D

stsinner
07-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to say that the DUmmie poster in the op is wrong. It does not have to be a car.

That's right. the vehicle has to get <19 miles per gallon, and the new vehicle must be a minimum of a 5 MPG increase.

lacarnut
07-30-2009, 03:26 PM

I just got $4500 for trading in my gas guzzling pickup for another pickup that gets just slightly better gas mileage.

My wife traded in one SUV for another SUV.

THANKS OBAMA! Now I can continue my mission to destroy the environment and I owe it all to you!

Plus, if you bought a new one, you get a deduction for sales taxes paid on your Fed Inc. Tax return

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 05:58 PM

So Japan is the place of manufacture and roid refers to the owner. :p

Gingersnap
07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
So Japan is the place of manufacture and roid refers to the owner. :p

Hey! At least he's riding, right? ;)

Rockntractor
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pAiJdPZ3n8QEHwT1-D69yYlr1HcuXKO3YGcHawdl_QC_mIHcqdHfjPi8cmPQnaNXNhW qYRD1q7tM
Hey! At least he's riding, right? ;)

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pAiJdPZ3n8QEHwT1-D69yYlr1HcuXKO3YGcHawdl_QC_mIHcqdHfjPi8cmPQnaNXNhW qYRD1q7tM

I like Pee Wee.

Rockntractor
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I like Pee Wee.

I know you do.

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I know you do.

He's a biker. Wears a bow tie. Wicked dancer.

Reminds me of .....me......except for the bow tie. That would be nerdy.

Rockntractor
07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I can understand the bow tie!

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I can understand the bow tie!

They look nice on George Will. On anyone else they look nerdy.

I wear a bolo. It's a part of my edginess.

Born to be Wi...i....i...i...ild.

Rockntractor
07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
They look nice on George Will. On anyone else they look nerdy.

I wear a bolo. It's a part of my edginess.

Born to be Wi...i....i...i...ild.

What is a bolo?

BadCat
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
What is a bolo?

It's a thing that Argentinian cowboys use to hunt cows.

Gingersnap
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM

He's just using a fancy-pants term for the traditional String Tie. Of course, a Spandex-wearing guy would.

Rockntractor
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I thought they just dressed up and the cows came a courten'

Rockntractor
07-30-2009, 09:26 PM
He's just using a fancy-pants term for the traditional String Tie. Of course, a Spandex-wearing guy would.

Now those are just wierd!

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 09:41 PM

Not only the BOLO, but....

I wore matador boots
only Flagg Brothers had 'em
with a Cuban heel.....

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Now those are just wierd!

Au contraire mon frere. Bolo string ties are manly cowboy stuff.

Gingersnap
07-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Not only the BOLO, but....

I wore matador boots
only Flagg Brothers had 'em
with a Cuban heel.....

Toby Keith fan, are you?

It's these twenty-two hundred
And twenty-five dollar
Pair o' handmade genuine fine
Horned-back kicks
With a seven-row stitch
And a three dollar sidewalk shine
Yeah they're made to fit
and they're hard to find
Make a pretty woman look down each time

I got the baddest boots on the boulevard
Yeah the baddest boots on the boulevard

They were made by a little man
Down in El Paso
I was passin' though town
Singin' at the rodeo

He said 'they cost a little more
But for what it's worth
There ain't another pair like 'em
on god's green earth'
Then I handed him my money
And he sized me up

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I thought they just dressed up and the cows came a courten'

It helps to be the governor of South Carolina....

Bubba Dawg
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Toby Keith fan, are you?

Sharkskin jacket with a velvet collar....ditty bop shades....and the boots. yeah.

A regular Mack the Knife....:p

RobJohnson
08-01-2009, 06:23 AM
You should feel like a dumb-ass every day for chanting that.

1990?

He was chanting it two years before everyone else! LOL

RobJohnson
08-01-2009, 06:27 AM
This girl is sitting on $4,000 easily:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/brassmonkey71/DSC_0034_2787.jpg

Is that what is sticking out of her ass? 4 grand in cash? :eek:

Rockntractor
08-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Is that what is sticking out of her ass? 4 grand in cash? :eek:

That would explain that expression on her face!