PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wants Your Kid To Learn Spanish

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Obama Tells Audience, "You Need to Make Sure that Your Child Can Speak Spanish"

Last update: 11:47 a.m. EDT July 9, 2008

WASHINGTON, Jul 09, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- At a town hall meeting in Georgia this morning, presumptive Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama told an audience that, "you need to make sure that your child can speak Spanish." Speaking in Powder Springs, Ga., the Illinois Senator said that the nation's chief priority should not be for immigrants to learn English, but for American children to learn Spanish.

"Senator Obama's idea is characteristic of an elitist mindset declaring that it is not the job of immigrants to America to learn English, but that it the job of Americans to learn the language of the immigrants," said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc. "This runs counter to our proud history as a melting pot and counter to the belief of most Americans. Clearly, Senator Obama has spent too much time at the lectern instead of interacting with the American people."

Recent polls have found overwhelming support for making English the official language of the United States. A 2007 Zogby poll found that 83 percent of Americans favor making English the official language, including substantial majorities of Democrats, Republicans and Independents.

I guess that will make it easier for all those Humanities grads to get a roofing job. He also thinks Americans are embarrassing for spending money abroad if they aren't fluent in German or Italian.

Market Watch (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/obama-tells-audience-you-need/story.aspx?guid=%7B1238204B-35C2-4839-947D-4D791B2427E8%7D&dist=hppr)

asdf2231
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Both of mine can already say "Stop! Put up your hands!"

So our work is done there.

Eyelids
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Heaven forbid American kids learn something...

asdf2231
07-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Mine are pulling 3.9 - 4.0 GPA's.

Saint Obama can go fuck himself. Feel free to join him.

SaintLouieWoman
07-09-2008, 10:48 PM
"Senator Obama's idea is characteristic of an elitist mindset declaring that it is not the job of immigrants to America to learn English, but that it the job of Americans to learn the language of the immigrants," said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of U.S. English, Inc. "This runs counter to our proud history as a melting pot and counter to the belief of most Americans. Clearly, Senator Obama has spent too much time at the lectern instead of interacting with the American people."

How long do you think it will take before Obama changes his mind on this one? He truly is out of touch.

Actually, I get rather ticked off at him making all these pronouncements from on high. :rolleyes::mad:

Gingersnap
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM

Our kids need to learn and use algebra, trig, and chess. Who gives a flip if they can order snails in France? Americans have never made economic progress because they could they order in French. :rolleyes:

Ranger Rick
07-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I what my kids, grandkids to learn Spanish. It is their heritage. And helps when they visit their relatives in Spain.

AmPat
07-10-2008, 05:32 AM

American students are learning. If not, why are we funding their education? They can learn another language on their dime, not mine. We live in the USA and we speak ENGLISH.

If somebody wants their next country to speak their language, they need to choose a country that speaks their native tongue. Otherwise, piss off back to Mezzico and talk your head off.

marinejcksn
07-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Imagine if we had told immigrants who came here LEGALLY through Ellis Island "Don't bother learning English, we'll just teach our kids Spanish, Italian, German, etc. etc. etc."
:rolleyes:

Sadie5
07-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Another pandering incident, Obama wants the Latino vote. Obama could care less about your children or mine, and for that matter the Latino children.It makes for a pretty speech on his part, hope no Latino's buy into it.

Bongo55
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
His Highness can kiss my english speaking butt.

Gingersnap
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Since he doesn't himself having speaking fluency in any Romance or Germanic language, we'll just watch this closely.

LibraryLady
07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Voters Reject Obama's call for Bilingualism

Eighty-three percent (83%) place a higher priority on encouraging immigrants to speak English as their primary language. Just 13% take the opposite view and say it is more important for Americans to learn other languages.

In his comments, Obama emphasized the economic benefits of learning a second language: “If you have a foreign language, that is a powerful tool to get a job.” Data suggests that most voters see the issue in a broader context.

A separate survey found that one factor fueling the anger over immigration is the belief that most government officials encourage immigrants to retain the culture of their home country. This helps explain why voters who are angry about immigration are primarily angry at the government, not immigrants. Among those angry about immigration, 59% believe most government officials encourage immigrants to retain their home country culture.
Rasmussen (http://rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/voters_reject_obama_s_call_for_bilingualism)

Phillygirl
07-11-2008, 08:02 AM
While I'm not opposed to students learning a second language, I simply wonder why this is a presidential issue.

asdf2231
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
While I'm not opposed to students learning a second language, I simply wonder why this is a presidential issue.

Because the candidate who brought this up is a pandering windbag?

Phillygirl
07-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Because the candidate who brought this up is a pandering windbag?

Oh, yeah. That's why.

Same question and answer goes for the commentary of his on black kids shouldn't count n being professional thletes as their career. Again, great speech if you're running for high school principal.

Odysseus
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Because Obama can't answer the question honestly. He knows that the vast majority of Americans want an end to compulsory bilingual education, defined as herding non-English speaking kids into classes taught in Spanish, often in spite of the fact that Spanish isn't the primary language of the kids in question (In NY and CA, kids from Asia and Africa have been assigned to bilingual Spanish classes over their parents' objections because there were no classes in their native languages), but his base is strongly in favor of it. Teachers receive fluency pay for being bilingual, activists continue to Balkanize the US and Latino "leaders" get to keep their constituency dependent and ignorant. These are no-win positions if they are discussed honestly, but if Obama came out against that, his base would freak, so he has to change the subject. Now, instead of discussing bilingual education, we're discussion whether English-speaking kids need to learn a second language, with the implication being that those who raised the English issue are anti-education. It's a clumsy straw man argument, but since the mainstream media won't call him on it, and McCain seems to think that picking up independent votes requires that he run against his own party, the comment stands unexamined by all but those who are really paying attention, and as we all know, those people won't decide the election.

The next four years are going to truly suck.

SaintLouieWoman
07-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Hannity brought up an interesting question today. What languages does Obama speak? Does anyone know?

LibraryLady
07-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Hannity brought up an interesting question today. What languages does Obama speak? Does anyone know?

After the divorce of his parents, Obama's mother married a Muslim from Indonesia. They moved to Jakarta and for two years he attended a school with mandatory classes in the Koran. His younger sister, Maya Soetoro Ng, says he was a strong male presence in her life and that it was a happy time.

"Barack still speaks Indonesian, has a fondness for the country," Ng said in 2005.
http://cbs2chicago.com/specialreports/barack.obama.2.335197.html

"Back home people think of him as one of us, or at least one who understands us," he says, adding that they are delighted to find that Obama speaks passable Bahasa, the language spoken in Indonesia and Malaysia.
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1695803,00.html

Q What languages do you speak
By Betsy Rothstein
Posted: 03/22/06 12:00 AM [ET]

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.): “Indonesian and a little Spanish.”

http://thehill.com/q/q-what-languages-do-you-speak-2006-03-22.html

LibraryLady
07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
oops. he flipped!!

While the Obama campaign says that Obama speaks a little bit of Indonesian, Obama himself admits that he isn’t bilingual.

“I know because I don’t speak a foreign language. It’s embarrassing!” he said.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/como-se-dice-ob.html

28 months ago:

Q What languages do you speak
By Betsy Rothstein
Posted: 03/22/06 12:00 AM [ET]

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.): “Indonesian and a little Spanish.”

Odysseus
07-13-2008, 01:49 PM
oops. he flipped!!
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/como-se-dice-ob.html
28 months ago:

Somebody should settle the question by holding up a really rude sign at one of his events in Indonesian and see if he understands it. :D:D