PDA

View Full Version : McCain rejects comments from economic adviser

LogansPapa
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM
By Jeff Mason / Reuters
Thursday, July 10, 2008; 4:01 PM

BELLEVILLE, Michigan (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Thursday sharply rejected a top economic adviser's description of the United States as "a nation of whiners" who are in a mental recession.

Democratic White House rival Barack Obama pounced on the remarks and said they proved McCain was out of touch on the economy, a critical issue in November's presidential election.

McCain moved quickly to limit the political damage caused by the comments of adviser Phil Gramm, a former Texas senator who questioned the extent of the U.S. economic downturn in an interview with the Washington Times.

"Phil Gramm does not speak for me. I speak for me. So, I strongly disagree," McCain said. "America's in great difficulty and we are experiencing enormous economic challenges."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/10/AR2008071001927.html

LogansPapa
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Lood at me I am happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got not girl to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, it will soon past
Whatever it is
Don't worry, be happy

Now the economy's all better. :):):)

lacarnut
07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
By Jeff Mason / Reuters
Thursday, July 10, 2008; 4:01 PM

BELLEVILLE, Michigan (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Thursday sharply rejected a top economic adviser's description of the United States as "a nation of whiners" who are in a mental recession.

Democratic White House rival Barack Obama pounced on the remarks and said they proved McCain was out of touch on the economy, a critical issue in November's presidential election.

McCain moved quickly to limit the political damage caused by the comments of adviser Phil Gramm, a former Texas senator who questioned the extent of the U.S. economic downturn in an interview with the Washington Times.

"Phil Gramm does not speak for me. I speak for me. So, I strongly disagree," McCain said. "America's in great difficulty and we are experiencing enormous economic challenges."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/10/AR2008071001927.html

I agree with Phil Gramm that Americans are a nation of whiners; many Americans have never experienced a bad recession and very few have seen a depression.

Our houses are much bigger than in the 50's, 60's and 70's, many Americans did not own 1 car much less 2 or 3 like many families today; Americans saved to buy that refrig. or stove and were not asshole to appetite in debt like these fools today. Americans want to own a house and a new car by the time they are in their mid twenty's rather than save enough for a down payment.

Bitch, bitch. That's what American whiny babies are good at instead of appreciating what they have and living the greatest country in the world. The poorest of the poor in this country have more than probably 90% of what citizens in other countries have.

When Phil G. tells it like it is that Americans are in a mental recession, both presidential candidates have to play political football with the issue. If Obama is elected, all this doom and gloom b.s. will fade away and everything will be peaches and cream. Same shit, same broken record after Bubba took office in his first term.

linda22003
07-10-2008, 06:04 PM
You're right, lacarnut - but it's not good politics. :D

Constitutionally Speaking
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I agree with Phil Gramm that Americans are a nation of whiners; many Americans have never experienced a bad recession and very few have seen a depression.

Our houses are much bigger than in the 50's, 60's and 70's, many Americans did not own 1 car much less 2 or 3 like many families today; Americans saved to buy that refrig. or stove and were not asshole to appetite in debt like these fools today. Americans want to own a house and a new car by the time they are in their mid twenty's rather than save enough for a down payment.

Bitch, bitch. That's what American whiny babies are good at instead of appreciating what they have and living the greatest country in the world. The poorest of the poor in this country have more than probably 90% of what citizens in other countries have.

When Phil G. tells it like it is that Americans are in a mental recession, both presidential candidates have to play political football with the issue. If Obama is elected, all this doom and gloom b.s. will fade away and everything will be peaches and cream. Same shit, same broken record after Bubba took office in his first term.

Phil Graham is absolutely correct. WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION.

Wages are higher than at any point during the Clinton Administration. More people have jobs than at any point in our history prior to the current Administration, economic growth continues, inflation is fine - there is absolutely ZERO reason for us to panic yet the media in their partisan drive to elect Democrats spin absolutely everything in the worst possible manner.

07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Let's see Phil Graham who is an economist, or Barack Obama who isn't qualified to run the corner 7-11???? Who to believe???:rolleyes:

lacarnut
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Don't worry, be happy

. :):):)

If I owned an original Cobra (not a kit car or a knock off), I would be damn happy. I would not drive the sucker 30mph to work or bitch about the price of av. gas either. Yes, Mr Gramm has got his shit together. Liberals are in a mental recession. Is that you?

Come on post that horrible 5.5% unemployment figures again.

SodiumMonkey
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Phil Graham is absolutely correct. WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION.

Wages are higher than at any point during the Clinton Administration. More people have jobs than at any point in our history prior to the current Administration, economic growth continues, inflation is fine - there is absolutely ZERO reason for us to panic yet the media in their partisan drive to elect Democrats spin absolutely everything in the worst possible manner.
This man speaks the truth for the most part. I cannot necessarily say that we are not headed for a recession, but it is certainly being blown way out of proportion by the liberal media; however, the idiots that buy into all of the hullabaloo are an equally large part of the problem. We the people control the markets and we're effectively running them into the ground. This is not to say that high gas prices aren't having an adverse effect as well as some other issues, but these issues are all being grossly magnified by idiocy.

Now as for mental recession versus actual economic recession... I'm certain that we are in a mental recession, but whether or not we are on the verge of an actual economic recession is yet to be seen imo. I'm sure most of you all are familiar with the business cycle and market equilibrium theory. Have a look at the late 90s. We can't sustain that kind of market. What we're going through now is just the equalizing of that period imo.

vetwife
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Hmmmm. so if you make 7.00 an hour and pay 4 for gas and 4 for milk, what do you call it, an economic boom? :cool:

07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
This man speaks the truth for the most part. I cannot necessarily say that we are not headed for a recession, but it is certainly being blown way out of proportion by the liberal media; however, the idiots that buy into all of the hullabaloo are an equally large part of the problem. We the people control the markets and we're effectively running them into the ground. This is not to say that high gas prices aren't having an adverse effect as well as some other issues, but these issues are all being grossly magnified by idiocy.

Now as for mental recession versus actual economic recession... I'm certain that we are in a mental recession, but whether or not we are on the verge of an actual economic recession is yet to be seen imo. I'm sure most of you all are familiar with the business cycle and market equilibrium theory. Have a look at the late 90s. We can't sustain that kind of market. What we're going through now is just the equalizing of that period imo.

The problem is that the Democrats and the Media are undermining one of the key factors that can impact our economy and that is consumer confidence. The media and the Dems are playing up every bit of possible bad news and even making some of it up. Meanwhile every positive development is spun in the worst possible way.

They are literally talking us into a recession.

SodiumMonkey
07-10-2008, 09:13 PM
^--- This is what I mean by the idiots that buy into the hullabaloo being an equally large part of the problem.

vetwife.... Do you drink a gallon of milk and burn a gallon of gas an hour?

lacarnut
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Hmmmm. so if you make 7.00 an hour and pay 4 for gas and 4 for milk, what do you call it, an economic boom? :cool:

I had a classmate in the mid 70's that had a wife and without any scholarship or help from his parents, put himself thru college working 7 days a week and around a 80 per week at a 7/11 as an assistant manager. So if you want to get off your lazy ass, tone your skills and your still making 7 bucks an hour you are one dumb ass or just plain lazy. Conclusion, opportunity is where it knocks in the good times and in the NOT SO GOOD ECONOMIC TIMES.

I think P. G. should add that some folks are not only in a mental recession but have a mentally depression problem whether we are in an economic boom or an economic bust.

Zeus
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM

It means if you want a gal of gas & a gal of milk you better show up for more than 2 hrs of work. Actually more because the govt gets their cut of your check before you do,

MrsSmith
07-10-2008, 10:31 PM

I call it "time to look for a better job...or one much closer to home." Seriously, my 19 year old kid makes $7 an hour...on her first job...which she's had for a total of 4 weeks. :rolleyes:

Down around your area, wages are slightly lower than here...about 50 cents an hour, on most of the reports I've seen. If she was in Nebraska, she'd have started at 7.50 or more...with nothing but a GED, no skills.

Any adult with any decent work history and a few skills would be pulling in way more than $7. In fact, I fully expect my kid to go up a couple dollars within the next couple years. If she were willing to do harder labor, she could easily make $10 or 12 on a road crew, with no skill harder than holding a sign.

LogansPapa
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I think the main thrust of this story is that this is the second time within a month that Mr. McCain is screaming, through clenched teeth,

DONíT HELP!

These fellow fossils that heís surrounded himself with are giving The Magic Negro an "E" Ticket straight into the Oval Office with their loose canon mouths. Wrong thing to say when many people are hurting. Stupid. You don''t want the poor, the minorities and/or the elderly turning out on mass in November and pissing in the Republican Partyís punch bowl.

vetwife
07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I never knew we had such high wage earners here. Congrats.
Count your blessings. I have a 72 year old aunt who works everyday for
7.50 an hr. For the Insurance. If you believe there are not people earning
very low wages and having to...then go ahead an live in that little world. :rolleyes:
Not everyone had the money to go to college.
Not everyone has the ability to go to college.
Not everyone has been fortunate enough to gather up a portfolio.
And you call the left elitists?

Odysseus
07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
very low wages and having to...then go ahead an live in that little world. :rolleyes:

Your aunt doesn't also have a pension? Social Security? She's actually living on only $7.50 an hour? I find that a bit hard to believe.

Not everyone has the money or ability to go to college, although those who really want to go generally find a way, while those who don't generally find an excuse, but what it really comes down to is that some people also don't have the aptitude or the interest, but even that doesn't tell the whole story. I've known quite a few tradesfolk (electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc.) who didn't go to college, but managed to do quite well for themselves. On the other hand, I know more than a few college grads who didn't. Life has no guarantees, just opportunities.

Oh, and yes, in answer to your previous question, we are in an economic boom, one that's been going pretty much non-stop since 2001, after the tech stock bubble and 9/11 sent a ripple through the economy. A recession is two consecutive quarters with declining rates of economic growth, and we haven't seen one of those since 1991. What we are seeing are individual commodities spiking. Gasoline is at an all-time high in absolute terms, but adjusted for inflation, it's still cheaper than it was during the 70's. Ethanol has driven up food prices by removing corn from the the food chain (as both an ingredient in food and as livestock feed, driving up the price of both corn-based foods and meats) and putting it into our gas tanks. In spite of this, the economy remains fundamentally strong. Unemployment is at 5.5%, which is lower than was thought possible three decades ago, while inflation is still below 3%. Jimmy Carter would have killed for those numbers. Barack Obama will kill them when he raises taxes and expands the public sector.

lacarnut
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Your aunt doesn't also have a pension? Social Security? She's actually living on only $7.50 an hour? I find that a bit hard to believe.

Not everyone has the money or ability to go to college, although those who really want to go generally find a way, while those who don't generally find an excuse, but what it really comes down to is that some people also don't have the aptitude or the interest, but even that doesn't tell the whole story. I've known quite a few tradesfolk (electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc.) who didn't go to college, but managed to do quite well for themselves. On the other hand, I know more than a few college grads who didn't. Life has no guarantees, just opportunities.

Oh, and yes, in answer to your previous question, we are in an economic boom, one that's been going pretty much non-stop since 2001, after the tech stock bubble and 9/11 sent a ripple through the economy. A recession is two consecutive quarters with declining rates of economic growth, and we haven't seen one of those since 1991. What we are seeing are individual commodities spiking. Gasoline is at an all-time high in absolute terms, but adjusted for inflation, it's still cheaper than it was during the 70's. Ethanol has driven up food prices by removing corn from the the food chain (as both an ingredient in food and as livestock feed, driving up the price of both corn-based foods and meats) and putting it into our gas tanks. In spite of this, the economy remains fundamentally strong. Unemployment is at 5.5%, which is lower than was thought possible three decades ago, while inflation is still below 3%. Jimmy Carter would have killed for those numbers. Barack Obama will kill them when he raises taxes and expands the public sector.

Well said and I would llike to add that my stepson who never finished high school made more money than my ex who has a Masters plus 30 and was principal at a deaf school. Also,he made more than I did.

MrsSmith
07-11-2008, 08:25 PM

I believe that the vast majority of the people who live on $7 an hour can get jobs that pay more, if they try. Of those people I know who earn this amount, 95% are under 20. The last 5% have their jobs for the same reason your aunt does...the benefits. The spouse of a self-employed person makes a huge contribution to the family on $7 an hour with health insurance.

Anyone who can't make it on their current income has the freedom to search for better paying work.

Lager
07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not saying it's not tough on some people, or that everything will be rosey again in a short while, but can somebody name me one thing that can expand indefinitely? (besides the Universe, and the average American's waistline) and the Universe might actually end some day). A recession is not the end of the world it's made out to be. We've had them before and survived and even thrived afterward.

Eyelids
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Let's see Phil Graham who is an economist, or Barack Obama who isn't qualified to run the corner 7-11???? Who to believe???:rolleyes:

Please tell me how Barack Obama cant run a 7-11. I'm tired of you assholes saying this so I'm finally going to challenge you on it.

asdf2231
07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Please tell me how Barack Obama cant run a 7-11. I'm tired of you assholes saying this so I'm finally going to challenge you on it.

He's not a Korean or a Pakistani. :p

vetwife
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
My aunt gets social security but it is not very much. My uncle retired as my Dad from Avon.
Back in those days of retirement in the late 60's and early 70's they had a pitiful pension program.
My Dad gets 35.00 a month vested. My uncle gets about 75.00 because of his marital status.
The insurance premiums were so very high it was not affordable. My aunt went to work at the
Grovery store for years. Now Avon has a 401 K and decent pension plans, but back in my uncle and Daddy's day it was not so good. He gets social security as well. His is better than her's. Now
with his being about 1100.00 and her's being around 540.00 that 7 something an hour on about 3 days a week because the company had a cutback, it is very difficult. They do not own their own home.
They did in the 80's and something happened and they lost their home.

They have a very tough time and no cable. He is an ordained minister but is not a pastor.
They don't blow money. The medicare pays 80 percent but very picky on what it pays.
My aunt has fairly good health benefits with the job she has. She pays for it though.

As far as my answer on the gallon of gas and the milk. We have three kids at home and we go
through about 4 gallons of milk a week. We have one car and we average a LOT for gas because
the VA is 90 miles round trip and like I said, we have kids and are in a rural area. The closest store is six miles up the road.

lacarnut
07-11-2008, 10:47 PM

Camel jocky's here.

I have found that politicians & educators that have never had any experience in the private sector could not run a snow ball stand in hell in an efficient manner.

Eyelids
07-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Oh nice you're a total racist.

asdf2231
07-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh nice you're a total racist.

Lighten up you pansy.

07-12-2008, 06:34 AM

Let see, before he began his political carreer, his resume consisted of "community organizing" for ACORN - an organization that passed out crack to volunteers so they would register "voters" those people and many other ACORN "organizers" registered lots of phony people. They are a fraudulent organization using our tax money to create resentment amongst the poor and to steal elections.

He had no executive experience, no managerial experience.

If you looked at his resume, YOU WOULDN"T EVEN CALL HIM for an interview for the manager posistion. You might hire him for the counter work, but certainly not for a managers position.