PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Chores

Shannon
07-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm curious when y'all started doing chores or when you made your kids start doing them. I started doing the dishes (no dishwasher) when I was 6. My older brother was mowing the lawn and picking up the dog waste at 8. We recently started to make Tristan mow the back yard and the whining from him is hilarious. (in an "are you kidding me you spoiled brat" kinda way) He's not that bad about it but he does make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. What were your chores?

asdf2231
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
My seven year old has a set of chores that he has been doing for two years now.

My fourteen year old handles dishes and laundry now that school is out.

Mine used to be everything my Mom couldn't get to while she was working 60-75 hour work weeks. I started cooking for myself when I was ten.

linda22003
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh, you know.... stitching samplers, churning butter, that sort of thing. Around six or seven.

Shannon
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Oh, you know.... stitching samplers, churning butter, that sort of thing. Around six or seven.

LOL. We churned butter on a class field trip to some old time place once.:p

BEG
07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
My Mom never made me do chores. My room was picked up and my bed was made every day when I got home from school yet I never did it. I believe that was because she is a control freak and couldn't let anyone do a substandard job. Don't get me wrong, my Mom is a great person. She just likes being a martyr. :p

I don't remember at what age I started making my kids do chores. My older daughter (14) empties the dishwasher daily and probably started two years ago and my son mows the yard weekly when he is home from College. He started mowing the yard probably a lot later than most kids (15). It was me standing in the way, I thought for sure he would cut his foot off. My youngest daughter picks up her room when I ask her to. They all will do anything I tell them to do, usually with out complaint. None of them have ever used a washing machine until my son went away to college last year. I probably did him a disservice by not showing him how to do it but none of his clothes are pink so he survived. I guess I have a little of my Mother in me.

Right now as I type this my son is painting the dining room (he is very detailed in his work and is doing an excellent job). He is going to paint the hallways, entry, part of the computer room and the family room before he goes back to college. I'm trying to figure out how much to pay him. We got a quote to have it painted professionally and it was $1800 (labor only). I'm tempted to give him the $1800, he really is doing an excellent job. I just told him what a good job he is doing and he said, "Well you are paying for Art School, I should at least be able to paint a wall". :p

Shannon
07-10-2008, 07:05 PM
My older daughter (14) empties the dishwasher daily

Seriously? Can that even be considered a chore? Maybe Tristan really does have it rough.:p

jendf
07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't remember how old I was but my mom always made me clean the bathroom. Everytime she asked, I would whine like Tristan. I loathed that chore.

SaintLouieWoman
07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
My Mom never made me do chores. My room was picked up and my bed was made every day when I got home from school yet I never did it. I believe that was because she is a control freak and couldn't let anyone do a substandard job. Don't get me wrong, my Mom is a great person. She just likes being a martyr. :p

I don't remember at what age I started making my kids do chores. My older daughter (14) empties the dishwasher daily and probably started two years ago and my son mows the yard weekly when he is home from College. He started mowing the yard probably a lot later than most kids (15). It was me standing in the way, I thought for sure he would cut his foot off. My youngest daughter picks up her room when I ask her to. They all will do anything I tell them to do, usually with out complaint. None of them have ever used a washing machine until my son went away to college last year. I probably did him a disservice by not showing him how to do it but none of his clothes are pink so he survived. I guess I have a little of my Mother in me.

Right now as I type this my son is painting the dining room (he is very detailed in his work and is doing an excellent job). He is going to paint the hallways, entry, part of the computer room and the family room before he goes back to college. I'm trying to figure out how much to pay him. We got a quote to have it painted professionally and it was $1800 (labor only). I'm tempted to give him the $1800, he really is doing an excellent job. I just told him what a good job he is doing and he said, "Well you are paying for Art School, I should at least be able to paint a wall". :p

Sounds like you and your hubby have done a greyt job raising the kids. Your son is exceptional. Wish I knew you when my kids were growing up. I was way too lenient and didn't do them any favors.

Sounds like that $1800 was a pretty reasonable bid. I paid $1300 for my living room and dining room and 2 bedrooms, but provided my own paint. He originally wanted $2100, but it was in January and there wasn't much work, so he matched the lower competitive bid. I'm sure my rooms are way smaller than yours.

His problem---he had to go over really dark colors, so think did 3 coats (primer and 2 coats).

BEG
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Seriously? Can that even be considered a chore? Maybe Tristan really does have it rough.:p

Compared to what I did as a child, it is heavy labor. :p

BEG
07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Sounds like you and your hubby have done a greyt job raising the kids. Your son is exceptional. Wish I knew you when my kids were growing up. I was way too lenient and didn't do them any favors.

Sounds like that $1800 was a pretty reasonable bid. I paid $1300 for my living room and dining room and 2 bedrooms, but provided my own paint. He originally wanted $2100, but it was in January and there wasn't much work, so he matched the lower competitive bid. I'm sure my rooms are way smaller than yours.

His problem---he had to go over really dark colors, so think did 3 coats (primer and 2 coats).

Yeah I think $1800 was pretty reasonable. We really don't have that many "real" walls as our house is so open. A lot of them are 1/2 to 1/3 of a "true" wall but we have high ceilings.

On my husband and I raising such good kids, trust me we lucked out. We had no idea what we were doing, we do now though. :D

Shannon
07-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't remember how old I was but my mom always made me clean the bathroom. Everytime she asked, I would whine like Tristan. I loathed that chore.

LOL! I still don't do bathrooms. I make my husband (whomever that may be at the time) do the bathrooms. I clean the rest of the house.

Shannon
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Compared to what I did as a child, it is heavy labor. :p

Yeah, ummm, I have no comment.:p

JB
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
"Well you are paying for Art School, I should at least be able to paint a wall". :pHa. One would hope. :D

BSR
07-10-2008, 08:14 PM
2 pages and no one has called shenanigans on Shannon having siblings? Come on people, its a setup. Anyone with half a brain knows Shannon probably killed them and consumed their souls at birth, then used their skulls to hold her banana clips and Barbie accessories.

Gingersnap
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Interesting question. As a kid my life was divided between "chores" and "I'm not your personal slave" activities. The "I'm not your personal slave" activities started around 7 or 8: make my own bed, put my own laundry away, take care of my own dog, etc.

The "chore" end of things started around the same time and worked up from picking up dog poop and doing dishes (by hand on a cute little platform) to increasingly responsible stuff in my teens like moving stock or haying or whatever.

We didn't get an allowance. All this labor was considered just the normal pitching in part of family life. Spending money came from entrepreneurship, babysitting, and outside jobs. :)

Shannon
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
We didn't get an allowance. All this labor was considered just the normal pitching in part of family life. Spending money came from entrepreneurship, babysitting, and outside jobs. :)

Exactly. We (my brothers and I) washed cars or mowed lawns ( I supervised) to get money. Tristan seems to think I should give him money for simply existing.

BSR
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Exactly. We (my brothers and I) washed cars or mowed lawns ( I supervised) to get money. Tristan seems to think I should give him money for simply existing.

Sounds fair to me, but Im the sucker in the family. My kid has me wrapped around his finger.

megimoo
07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh, you know.... stitching samplers, churning butter, that sort of thing. Around six or seven.Betsey Ross in homespun ?

Shannon
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds fair to me, but Im the sucker in the family. My kid has me wrapped around his finger.

Why aren't you posting in the cycling thread in Sports?

BSR
07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Why aren't you posting in the cycling thread in Sports?

Cause I got the urge to stick a man's testicles in my mouth just from reading the title. Cycling is teh ghey..

Gingersnap
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM

You might want to rethink this.

Where I lived, my situation was dead-on normal and I realize it isn't for most people but it taught me a lot about real life. In real life, you have do stuff that is boring or hard just because it needs to get done. In real life, nobody picks up after you. In real life, they call it "work" because it isn't fun or entertaining.

I've seen more than one shocked 25 year old who is depressed and outraged that robot-slaves aren't a normal part of working life. :D

Shannon
07-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Cause I got the urge to stick a man's testicles in my mouth just from reading the title. Cycling is teh ghey..

A little too crass for me, dear. You know better.:(

vetwife
07-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Wow..I had a lot of chores but we didn't think of it that way. My grandfather had a garden and we
picked bushels of corn, butterbeans, tomatoes, etc. on Monday and Wednesday and went to the
cannery on Tuesday and Thursday. My parents worked and left us with the grands early and picked us up late. At home, when we got older ....at about 11 or 12 , I had to fold clothes, dry the dishes,
clean the bathrooms, and that drying dishes was for at my grandparents as well. Make my bed before school, put out my clothes in the morning. I had better keep that room clean, and sweep after we ate.
I had two sisters and my elder sister had more chores than me. My Mother was a workacholic basically and a neat freak. She worked about 60 hours in Atlanta for over twenty years in the office at Avon and Daddy worked there as well in shipping. She would clean the house from top to bottom on Saturdays including
washing windows, baseboards, doing the ironing, laundry, wash little trinkets, clean mirrors, strip beds,
hang clothes, even though we had a dryer most of the time, and cook..a lot !!!!!
Daddy did the yardwork when he could pry the mower away from Mother, build stuff in the workshop, repair things, plumbing, garden..plus like Mama work a full time job AND was a full time pastor which took
up his evenings a lot. Saturdays was all about cleaning until about 4 in the afternoon where they religiously
sent us off to the movies for about three hours. Sunday was about church and visitation and as I look back I kinda resent that Mama never sat down or watched tv, or did anything but work.
Laziness was absolutely not tolerated in our home. I am greatful for that. For the most part.
Our kids? I won't tolerate laziness but they sure have it made compared to how I had it.
They fold and put their clothes away. They all do dishes. They sweep. They take out the garbage.
They keep their rooms clean. They make their beds. They help with the baby. They bring in firewood,
They clean the bathrooms. If One complains, I ignore. They hate my war stories and I tell them when they
start complaining. I ususally up the chores. if they complain.

BSR
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
A little too crass for me, dear. You know better.:(

Sorry.

The filter from my brain to my mouth gets clogged sometimes. :(

BSR
07-10-2008, 08:49 PM
You might want to rethink this.

Where I lived, my situation was dead-on normal and I realize it isn't for most people but it taught me a lot about real life. In real life, you have do stuff that is boring or hard just because it needs to get done. In real life, nobody picks up after you. In real life, they call it "work" because it isn't fun or entertaining.

I've seen more than one shocked 25 year old who is depressed and outraged that robot-slaves aren't a normal part of working life. :D

Oh dont get me wrong, when he's older this stuff stops. But he's 2 and he rules me with an iron fist right now..

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
By Kindergarten I was expected after school to:
Carry in wood for the woodstove
Feed calves
Feed assorted critters (chickens, ducks, rabbits)
Help with supper
Set the table
Clear the table
Do the dishes
Then do whatever random evil chores my mother decided I needed to do such as folding and putting away my clothes or cleaning my room

BSR
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
By Kindergarten I was expected after school to:
Carry in wood for the woodstove
Feed calves
Feed assorted critters (chickens, ducks, rabbits)
Help with supper
Set the table
Clear the table
Do the dishes
Then do whatever random evil chores my mother decided I needed to do such as folding and putting away my clothes or cleaning my room

when you were in Kindergarten it was 1812. Every kid did this.. :rolleyes:

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
when you were in Kindergarten it was 1812. Every kid did this.. :rolleyes:

if you weren't Shannon's chew toy, I would hurt you for that..but she has first claim

BSR
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
if you weren't Shannon's chew toy, I would hurt you for that..but she has first claim

She already handed me my ass, might as well step up. Your next..:(

Shannon
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
She already handed me my ass, might as well step up. Your next..:(

"Your" next?:rolleyes:

BSR
07-10-2008, 09:28 PM
"Your" next?:rolleyes:

see, this is why we cant have nice things...:mad:

Shannon
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
see, this is why we cant have nice things...:mad:

Because you break all of them in your drunken rages?:rolleyes:

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I hate it when mom and dad fight :(

Shannon
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I hate it when mom and dad fight :(

Oh, you know what to do.:rolleyes: Just go into the closet with your wooby and sing the Barney Song.

Jumpy
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
When I was a kid, I worked like a slave!!! Or at least I thought I did. My parents both grew up on farms, and they both had to quit school to work on the farms. My mother was handling a team of work horses out in the fields as a child. Much value was put on hard workers.

My sisters and I all had our chores, and we cried and moaned through every second of it. I feel sorry for my mother now.

My kids.. I tried to give them chores, but because they whined and moaned, I often just did it myself. It was easier that way. Amazingly, my kids are great helpers and very reliable workers today.

I tried that allowance thing on my kids.. the one with a chart attached to it, but that was too much like work.

BSR
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Because you break all of them in your drunken rages?:rolleyes:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8f16ec8492.gif

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
then you and your friends all sit around and play canasta and drink martinis and laugh at me :o

Gingersnap
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
then you and your friends all sit around and play canasta and drink martinis and laugh at me :o

Wait - this is a veiled reference to me, isn't it? Actually we play bridge and drink gin. :D

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Wait - this is a veiled reference to me, isn't it? Actually we play bridge and drink gin. :D

hence.."veiled"

Gingersnap
07-10-2008, 11:38 PM
[/B]

hence.."veiled"

Well, okay then. I would hate to change my drinking habits and gambling preference to accommodate you and that rabbit.

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, okay then. I would hate to change my drinking habits and gambling preference to accommodate you and that rabbit.

oh no worries..ask anyone on this board..I'm easy ;)

Gingersnap
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
oh no worries..ask anyone on this board..I'm easy ;)

We no longer need to ask - the popups pretty much clarify the situation.

lurkalot
07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
We no longer need to ask - the popups pretty much clarify the situation.

I feel pretty special right now :)

DarkScribe
07-11-2008, 08:20 AM

No, no he doesn't...it won't be too much longer before he gets to do both front AND back...I did, at his age...

noonwitch
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
When I was 5, I had to set the table for dinner and help my mom with dishes afterwards. When I was 7, I asked her for an Easy Bake oven, and instead, she taught me to cook in the kitchen oven/stove, so I was able to make decent foood by junior high age, so my brother and I took turns cooking dinner on weeknights through junior high and high school.

We all had to clean our rooms, make our beds daily, and change the sheets once a week. My sister was exempt from this, because she was the baby, but she remained exempt until the day she moved out.

I did laundry sometimes, but that wasn't my assigned job. I just did it if my mom was really busy or out of town.

My brother mowed the lawn on the rider mower (my sister took over, when he went to college), and my parents did the trimming with the weed wacker and a pushmower. He started doing that around 4th or 5th grade. I hated yard work, so I did the light housework at that time-vacuuming, dusting, breakfast dishes, making cookies or something to eat when they were done with the yard work. My brother also did all the chemicals for the pool, because he was the only one who understood it. When he went to college, my dad paid a guy to do that. We all had to vacuum the pool, and skim it.

When I babysat for people all-day, I usually cleaned their house somewhat-I at least made it look better than it did when I got there. Busy people with little kids don't have time to clean-they sleep during those times. I had teenaged energy, so I cleaned while the kids took their naps. People pay babysitters more if they do things like that for them, too. My sister and I once had to babysit for some neighbors who hadn't cleaned their house in months-we cleaned everything-mopped, scrubbed the tubs, sinks and toilets-everything short of carpet cleaning. We washed all the linens, cleaned the kids' rooms (although one child was a neat-nick who at 5 was keeping her room immaculate), changed the litter boxes, and everything we could think of. The parents were so grateful when they got home that they paid us each $50, which in 1979 standards was a lot of money for teenagers.