PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Playoffs 2009

Bubba Dawg
08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Okay, it's August so I'm gonna start following baseball now. Yeah, I know that's lame but hey, they play 162 games.

I'll watch a game now and then and go to a couple of games in person but I don't really follow the game until August.

So, who do you like? That's a two-fer question. Who would you like to see win and who do you think has the best chance to win[/B ]if the cjpices happen to be mutually exclusive.

My own team, the one I follow through thick and thin, is the Atlanta Braves.

Teams that I like to see do well are the Boston Red Sox, The Philadelphia Phillies, The Detroit Tigers and the White Sox. Among the relatively new teams, I like the Marlins, Tampa Bay and Arizona.

I am also a National League fan because I don't like the designated hitter.

I figure the best teams in the AL are the [B]Yankees and Red Sox and the Angels and Rays are good too.

The best in the NL are the Dodgers, the Phillies and the Cards. and Rockies.

I know these don't necessarily match divisiions but the the division/wild-card races haven't even begun to shake out.

So, who do you like?

SaintLouieWoman
08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Of course I love the Cards. They're currently in first place in their division, but only by a half game. Damned those Cubbies! They're hanging in there. :D

Bubba Dawg
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Of course I love the Cards. They're currently in first place in their division, but only by a half game. Damned those Cubbies! They're hanging in there. :D

The Cubs always hang in until they inevitably fall apart.

I've said it before, What do the Mets the Yankees and the Cubs have in common?

None of these teams has won a World Series in their new stadium.....

expat-pattaya
08-03-2009, 07:24 AM

DOUBLE damn those cubbies :D

Cards win NL Central

Beat LA 3-1

Beat Phils 3-2

Win World Series 4-2 over ........... the Tigers
:cool:

NJCardFan
08-05-2009, 11:34 AM
DOUBLE damn those cubbies :D

Cards win NL Central

Beat LA 3-1

Beat Phils 3-2

Win World Series 4-2 over ........... the Tigers
:cool:
You do know that the LCS is 7 games. And the Cards couldn't beat the Phils, a healthy Phillies team if the Phils have home field. However, it's tough to repeat especially in the NL. The last NL team to repeat were the 75-76 Reds. The team I see giving the Phils fits in the post season would be the Dodgers only because of the revenge factor. In the AL, tough call but right now I'd have to say the Angels but I'd love to see a Philly/Detroit WS. The networks would love that.

ralph wiggum
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm not going to offer any predictions since my track record in the past couple years has been so horrific.

JB
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Foregone conclusion. Phils repeat in a walk.

expat-pattaya
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
You do know that the LCS is 7 games. And the Cards couldn't beat the Phils, a healthy Phillies team if the Phils have home field. However, it's tough to repeat especially in the NL. The last NL team to repeat were the 75-76 Reds. The team I see giving the Phils fits in the post season would be the Dodgers only because of the revenge factor. In the AL, tough call but right now I'd have to say the Angels but I'd love to see a Philly/Detroit WS. The networks would love that.

The phils will surrender after 5 games :D

Cards in 09

Bubba Dawg
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM

I'd love to see a Philly-Detroit World Series. Oh Man.

I really like both teams.

patriot45
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd really like to see the Rays in there, bit its going to be a Yankee/Dodger or Yankee/ St. Louie series!

Lars1701a
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
The phils will surrender after 5 games :D

Cards in 09

Fracking Cards are fags :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
08-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Phillies....right? :D

Lars1701a
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Phillies....right? :D

Damn striaght, you wear spandex? maybe you should be a cards fan:eek::D

Bubba Dawg
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Damn striaght, you wear spandex? maybe you should be a cards fan:eek::D

Only when I'm cycling. I go back to Pete Rose and Steve Carlton and those guys. Oh man, Lenny Dykstra and that HUGE chaw of tobacco.

Haven't thought of him in years.

ralph wiggum
08-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Only when I'm cycling. I go back to Pete Rose and Steve Carlton and those guys. Oh man, Lenny Dykstra and that HUGE chaw of tobacco.

Dykstra was on Dan Patrick's radio show last week. He sounded drunk (on a morning radio show), until the callers had to explain that Dykstra ALWAYS sounds drunk, even when he's completely sober.

expat-pattaya
08-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Ahhhh, the voice of envy :D

But then again, from your avatar you are also an Eagles fan so I shouldn't pick on you. Being a Phils/Eagles fan is burden enough :cool:

Lars1701a
08-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Ahhhh, the voice of envy :D

But then again, from your avatar you are also an Eagles fan so I shouldn't pick on you. Being a Phils/Eagles fan is burden enough :cool:

Who's World Champs?

Space Gravy
08-06-2009, 08:18 AM

Dykstra just filed for bankruptcy protection.

Link (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/Lenny_Dykstra_files_for_bankruptcy_protection_repo rt.html)

expat-pattaya
08-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Who's World Champs?

Soooooo last year. :D

(and how many times in your life have they been WS champs) ;)

Lars1701a
08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Soooooo last year. :D

(and how many times in your life have they been WS champs) ;)

Well untill they win again they are the world champs :)

expat-pattaya
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
The LAST time the Phils won it I was living in Phils land. My mom went to the dark side (away from the true light of Cardinals fandom). I did like the team with Schmidt and Rose and Carlton. Those were the good old days. Scrappy team with a good work ethic.

I even like this Phils team. It was refreshing to see a large slugger with an MVP like Ryan realize "hey, if I lose weight it will help the team".

But, still, they are the Phils. A glimmer to the wondrous joy of the Cardinals. :D

Bubba Dawg
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Who's World Champs?

The Phillies and The Steelers. :D

Lars1701a
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
The LAST time the Phils won it I was living in Phils land. My mom went to the dark side (away from the true light of Cardinals fandom). I did like the team with Schmidt and Rose and Carlton. Those were the good old days. Scrappy team with a good work ethic.

I even like this Phils team. It was refreshing to see a large slugger with an MVP like Ryan realize "hey, if I lose weight it will help the team".

But, still, they are the Phils. A glimmer to the wondrous joy of the Cardinals. :D

What ever lets you sleep at night :D

Could be worse you could be a Pirate fan :(

Apocalypse
08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
The Cubs all the way....

(Slinks back into wishful thinking.)

expat-pattaya
08-07-2009, 05:10 AM
What ever lets you sleep at night :D

Could be worse you could be a Pirate fan :(

Or a Cubs fan :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
The Cubs all the way....

(Slinks back into wishful thinking.)

Right now they're 4 games behind the Cards.

GO CARDS!!!!

Rebel Yell
08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Don't look now, but the Braves are getting hot. If the Phillies and/or Marlins slip.......

We at least have a shot at the wildcard.

expat-pattaya
08-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Don't look now, but the Braves are getting hot. If the Phillies and/or Marlins slip.......

Thats why I love baseball. In the face of large odds true fans still believe. :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Or a Cubs fan :D

Right now the Cards are 6 games ahead of the Cubbies. Here's hoping the Cubs continue to choke and the Cards don't get complacent.

GO CARDS!!!!!

Bubba Dawg
08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Right now the Cards are 6 games ahead of the Cubbies. Here's hoping the Cubs continue to choke and the Cards don't get complacent.

GO CARDS!!!!!

I hear that today the Cards signed John Smoltz. I hope the old guy has a few good starts left in him.

Good luck.

Bubba Dawg
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Yes we do. Go Braves.

expat-pattaya
08-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I hear that today the Cards signed John Smoltz. I hope the old guy has a few good starts left in him.

Good luck.

I am no Smoltz believer. But compared to what the Cards have been sending out as a 5th starter he couldn't be worse. :D

Bubba Dawg
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I am no Smoltz believer. But compared to what the Cards have been sending out as a 5th starter he couldn't be worse. :D

I was at Turner field for his first start after being injured and having surgery. I've been a Braves fan for so long I can't help but wish him well.

In my heart of hearts I hope he sees this as a last grab at glory and something magic happens.

I know.

But it's baseball. Stranger things have happened.

ya gotta believe.

SaintLouieWoman
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Good luck.

Funny thing, was on a biz telephone call with a client today. He said he had an email from his girlfriend about Smoltz. She's quite the Cards fan, and isn't sure if it's good or bad.

Lars1701a
08-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I think its the Phills to lose in the NL, the cards blow along with the cubs.

(this is the time the phillies will choke) :(

Lars1701a
08-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Why they hell are you guys talking about a broking down pitcher and a team that has no shot of going anywhere? (Atlanta) hell when they were on top of the NL east they hardly got far in the playoffs. I think all of those years they won the Div they only won the WS once?

expat-pattaya
08-20-2009, 04:33 AM
As a Cards fan it isn't clear to me that Smoltz has anything left to give. On the bright side, the cards have little to lose as Boston will be paying most of his salary :D If he upgrades our #5 starter or right hand setup position it is a bonus and who knows? maybe he just needed another month to get it all together.

The Phils are an excellent team. Maybe the best in the NL. But a word of warning. This Cards team is NOT the same team that limped into the Allstar break. They are much more balanced and offensively dangerous squad. The additions of DeRosa, Lugo, Holliday and return to health of some regulars like Ludwisk and Ankiel completely change the team. Gone are 3 dead spots in the lineup. I guarantee Phils brass considers the Cards a threat :cool:

SaintLouieWoman
08-20-2009, 11:00 AM
As a Cards fan it isn't clear to me that Smoltz has anything left to give. On the bright side, the cards have little to lose as Boston will be paying most of his salary :D If he upgrades our #5 starter or right hand setup position it is a bonus and who knows? maybe he just needed another month to get it all together.

The Phils are an excellent team. Maybe the best in the NL. But a word of warning. This Cards team is NOT the same team that limped into the Allstar break. They are much more balanced and offensively dangerous squad. The additions of DeRosa, Lugo, Holliday and return to health of some regulars like Ludwisk and Ankiel completely change the team. Gone are 3 dead spots in the lineup. I guarantee Phils brass considers the Cards a threat :cool:

They'd best not underestimate us. LaRussa is a good manager, one of the best. He's fiercely competitive and smart. Probably mean, too, he's one of those eeevil attorneys by training.

He also in the off season helps with animal rescue. His wife is involved with a group in California that rescues dogs. LaRussa annually has a concert in the STL area, at the Fox Theater, which benefits the group.

When we were in California, I found the shop in LaJolla that supports the cause, a consignment shop where folks can either consgn merchandise or donate it, with all profits going to animal rescue groups. It's called Ark Antiques. SR found a really cool set of martini glasses. I got a nice jade necklace.

expat-pattaya
08-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I wish I was good at photoshop. I'd do a Tony Larussa in Darth Vadar look :D

I know I am a fan, which is short for fanatic. I make no apologies. But as an almost 50 year fan I have learned to recognize the difference between hope and realistic expectation. And this Cards team now is one of the best in my lifetime. Maybe the names aren't as recognizable as A-Rod, Jeter and Teixiera, but the Ludiwck, Pujols and Holliday trio are every bit as productive.

Up and down the order this is a tough line up to get out and add in Carpenter and Wainwright as a 1-2 pitching punch. Hey, I am excited. This could be a STL year :cool:

JB
08-20-2009, 07:08 PM
(this is the time the phillies will choke) :(Not a chance. The Phils are too good.

I look forward to Parade Part 2.

Lars1701a
08-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Not a chance. The Phils are too good.

Never fails when I put my heart into a team they end up taking a big wet bite out of it.:D

Lars1701a
08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
The phillies starting 5 pitchers are prolly the best all around in the NL at the very least.

SaintLouieWoman
08-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I wish I was good at photoshop. I'd do a Tony Larussa in Darth Vadar look :D

I know I am a fan, which is short for fanatic. I make no apologies. But as an almost 50 year fan I have learned to recognize the difference between hope and realistic expectation. And this Cards team now is one of the best in my lifetime. Maybe the names aren't as recognizable as A-Rod, Jeter and Teixiera, but the Ludiwck, Pujols and Holliday trio are every bit as productive.

Up and down the order this is a tough line up to get out and add in Carpenter and Wainwright as a 1-2 pitching punch. Hey, I am excited. This could be a STL year :cool:

Finally, Carpenter and Wainwright are both healthy. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Maybe having the All Star game here brought us luck, some sort of karma.

lacarnut
08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
My dad and I watched many Braves games together. I think he had about 10 Braves and LSU caps. The only teams I pull against are the Yankees and the Raiders because of their asshole owners.

ralph wiggum
08-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Not a chance. The Phils are too good.

Lee was an outstanding pickup. 4-0 with a sub 1.00 ERA since the trade.

The Phils are looking good, and the Dodgers are looking like crap...actually, mostly Manny lately.

It's about time to put a fork in the Cubs. Was gonna make that an "official fork", but you never know. 40 or so games left.

Should be interesting races everywhere except the East in both the AL & NL.

NJCardFan
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
This is a big weekend for the Phils with 4 against the dead in the water Mets. However, the Phils can sweep all 4 and only gain a half a game so that sucks. But the Phils starting pitching right now is excellent. In this series against Arizona, not 1 walk issued. That's amazing. And in this Mets series, the Mutts will see Hamels, Happ, Martinez(which should be interesting) and Lee. Lee has been sick. He has more hits as a batter than he's given up runs. And Howard, Rollins, and Werth are getting hot. If Utley and Ibanez start hitting again there isn't a team on this planet who can touch them.

What's even better is that the Phils have been sick on the road. 37-20 as of today. The only divisional team that scares me at the moment are the Marlins because they can get hot at any time. Within the NL, the Dodgers scare me a little but we've handled the Cards pretty easily. I wouldn't want to face the Giants in a short series either.

JB
08-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Lee was an outstanding pickup. 4-0 with a sub 1.00 ERA since the trade.The guy's the second coming of Cy Young since we picked him up.

However, "47-0 Lights out Lidge" is blowing saves like it's free. I can't believe I have to sweat that guy right now. I had him on my fantasy team. Dumped his ass.

expat-pattaya
08-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Finally, Carpenter and Wainwright are both healthy. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Maybe having the All Star game here brought us luck, some sort of karma.

Hope so. What a lot of baseball fans fail to realize is there are TWO seasons.

The regular one where you get a playoff berth, and then the playoffs.

In the playoffs the teams with a couple of dominant starters are very dangerous. For example, if the Giants get to the play offs they could be scary. Lincecum and Cain are tough. Alas for them, the team depth isn't enough despite having 2 Cy Young potential starters. They probably don't make the playoffs.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. It looks like the Cards will make the post season. And they are the kind of team to go far built around 2 ace starters (Wainwright and Carpenter) plus a 3rd starter as good as many aces this year plus a solid closer this year. Add to that a well balanced offense with a stud that wants to win BAD and this is a good looking playoff team.

Prior to the trade deadline I had the Phils as a good regular season bad post season team based on lack of any starter that scared the opposition. Getting Lee was a truly brilliant move and they got him cheap to boot. Martinez might have something left also. Phils moved up in post season potential greatly with these additions. They are also a dangerous team. But I believe that Carpenter matches favorably to Lee and Wainwright favorably to anyone else the Phils have and Piniero bests any 2nd or 3rd starter so the Cards have an advantage in a play off series with pitching. Got to prove it on the field but I'm excited by the prospect. :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Hope so. What a lot of baseball fans fail to realize is there are TWO seasons.

The regular one where you get a playoff berth, and then the playoffs.

In the playoffs the teams with a couple of dominant starters are very dangerous. For example, if the Giants get to the play offs they could be scary. Lincecum and Cain are tough. Alas for them, the team depth isn't enough despite having 2 Cy Young potential starters. They probably don't make the playoffs.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. It looks like the Cards will make the post season. And they are the kind of team to go far built around 2 ace starters (Wainwright and Carpenter) plus a 3rd starter as good as many aces this year plus a solid closer this year. Add to that a well balanced offense with a stud that wants to win BAD and this is a good looking playoff team.

Prior to the trade deadline I had the Phils as a good regular season bad post season team based on lack of any starter that scared the opposition. Getting Lee was a truly brilliant move and they got him cheap to boot. Martinez might have something left also. Phils moved up in post season potential greatly with these additions. They are also a dangerous team. But I believe that Carpenter matches favorably to Lee and Wainwright favorably to anyone else the Phils have and Piniero bests any 2nd or 3rd starter so the Cards have an advantage in a play off series with pitching. Got to prove it on the field but I'm excited by the prospect. :D

Cards fans here are saying "This is the Year". Despite previous conservative management, where they didn't go out and acquire needed new players, John Mozeliak (successor to Walt Jocketty as GM) has been taking action this year.

In June he got Mark DeRosa from Cleveland, in July Julio Lugo who has been doing a greyt job, batting .319 snce here and also got Matt Hollday, who's been hitting cleanup and batting .414, and just got John Smolz. It was a good deal for the Cards to get the veteran probable Hall of Famer. The Cards only pad $100k for him. The Red Sox are stuck wth the millions for his salary.

Smoltz is the startng pitcher today. Hope he does well.

And the Cards are now 8 games ahead of the Cubbies, 9 ahead of the Astros!

NJCardFan
08-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Did you see Bruntlett's unassisted triple play? Simply awesome!

Lars1701a
08-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Hell ya that was for the ages :)

I guess he made up for the booted balls he had done lol

Lars1701a
08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
The magic number for winning the Div is 34 :D

NJCardFan
08-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Hell ya that was for the ages :)

I guess he made up for the booted balls he had done lol

Here it is for those who didn't see it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niz0VPpSxok

expat-pattaya
08-24-2009, 07:00 AM

Not here in Thailand. How did it go down?

NJCardFan
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Not here in Thailand. How did it go down?

Click the above video.

expat-pattaya
08-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Click the above video.

Video removed by user. Oh well. Unassisted triple plays are kinda rare. I would have liked seeing it.

patriot45
08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Who can beat the Yankees! No one! :D
But I'm still rooting for the Rays!

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
It doesn't get better. Pujols hit his 40th homer, Smoltz struck out 9 in 5 innings, no runs scored, and struck out 7 in a row!! The Cards already are getting their $100k worth. Yay Smoltz and Pujols!!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/ABCAABC32E17A5BF8625761C0013FDE1?OpenDocument

Cards' Smoltz opens to glowing reviews

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/300cards0824.jpg St. Louis Cardinals pitcher John Smoltz scores ahead of the tag by San Diego Padres catcher Nick Hundley during the second inning of a baseball game Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009, in San Diego. (AP)

BY JOE STRAUSS (JStrauss@post-dispatch.com)
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
08/24/2009

SAN DIEGO Four days after reaching agreement with a released pitcher, the Cardinals sent him to the mound Sunday against the San Diego Padres.

In place of that released pitcher they witnessed a flashback to the real John Smoltz.

Smoltz offered the Cardinals five dazzling innings in a 5-2 victory over the San Diego Padres at Petco Park. Afterward, manager Tony La Russa said he expected it. Closer Ryan Franklin said he expected it.

It was left to Smoltz to admit that a lightning start with a new franchise is only the first step toward something more important. http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=c1db9e96-9111-11de-bdc0-5767cad0da5a&T=19ehoctn3%2fX%3d1251161632%2fE%3d2022775994%2fR% 3dncsprtbspr%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTN ER_US%2fF%3d2888501236%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzM zEzIiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSJjMWRiOWU5Ni05MTExLTExZGUtYmRjMC0 1NzY3Y2FkMGRhNWEiIHNpdGVJZD0iMTEzMzU1MSIgdFN0bXA9I jEyNTExNjE2MzIwNTU3NTIiIHRhcmdldD0iX3RvcCIg%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dE78D0D4C&U=128qfbbrm%2fN%3deopZAUwNjZc-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d-1%2fV%3d5

"I haven't had many chances to feel this way, so I'm not going to get carried away," Smoltz said after a 75-pitch performance that included three hits and nine strikeouts without a walk. "This is an awesome situation for me after a situation that didn't work out. The fans, the reception, everybody that has been talking about what I mean as a person ... it's a flattering statement. I also know I have to get it done on the mound. I couldn't ask for a better beginning. But I'm a big believer that it's how you pitch in the end that matters."

Smoltz struck out seven consecutive hitters, stopping three short of the major-league record. His performance offered at least equal billing to first baseman Albert Pujols' 40th home run, which iced a game Smoltz dominated.

expat-pattaya
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Lugo

Smoltz

Are there any more Red Sox cast offs we can get :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Lugo

Smoltz

Are there any more Red Sox cast offs we can get :D

We're not proud, we'll take whatever they'll give us. The Red Sox have always been hated in STL (as well as our not always friendly rivalry with the Cubs), so it's so sweet for Smoltz to do so well, the perfect in your face. :D

NJCardFan
08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Here's another vid. Quality isn't as good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvwZhYDIUDA

expat-pattaya
08-25-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm having trouble figuring it out from that video. Was it a double steal and he caught a liner for out number 1, touched second for the second out, and then tagged the lagging runner from 1st for the 3rd out?

Wow. Always neat to see a triple play.

Lars1701a
08-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm having trouble figuring it out from that video. Was it a double steal and he caught a liner for out number 1, touched second for the second out, and then tagged the lagging runner from 1st for the 3rd out?

Wow. Always neat to see a triple play.

He caught a line drive getting the batter out, he did that right by 2nd base getting the man that was on a second ago out, then he tagged the runner from first base who was almost at 2nd base.

NJCardFan
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
He actually leaped a bit to catch the line drive and landed on 2nd base then tagged out Murphy coming in from 1st.

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Okay, right now the Yankees lead the Red Sox by six and a half games. Both teams have won 7 of the last 10.

The Tigers and the White Sox have hit a rough patch of road. The Tigers are 5 and 5 in the last 10, The White Sox are 3 and 7 in the last 10 and the Twins have moved into second place in the division. The Tigers are still up by 4 games but the surprising Twins are 8 and 2 for the last 10 games. Wow.

The Angels lead the Rangers by 5 games and both teams are struggling, losing 6 of the last 10 games.

The Red Sox and the Rangers and the Rays are fighting for the Wild Card.

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2009, 09:31 PM
The Phillies lead the Braves and Marlins by 8 games. Both the Braves and the Marlins are muddling along near 500 in the last 10 games.

The CARDINALS are leading the Hapless Cubs, who have officially added the word Hapless to the team name, by 8.5 games. YaaY!!!

The Dodgers lead the Rockies by 4 and 1/2 games.

The Wild Card has heated up with four teams within four and 1/2 games: The Rockies, Giants, Braves and Marlins. Gotta figure the Rockies and Dodgers are an either/or.

IMHO, The Phillies and the Cardinals are the two strongest teams in the NL.

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Braves beat the Phillies tonight. Nice.

(And the Falcons beat the Chargers in August Football. Nice.)

expat-pattaya
08-30-2009, 03:12 AM
IMHO, The Phillies and the Cardinals are the two strongest teams in the NL.

I agree. A series between these two teams will showcase:

Phillies - excellent offense and decent pitching

Cards - excellent pitching and decent offense

I make no prediction cause my emotions might have a slight impact on my thought processes :D

Lars1701a
08-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I agree. A series between these two teams will showcase:

Phillies - excellent offense and decent pitching

Cards - excellent pitching and decent offense

I make no prediction cause my emotions might have a slight impact on my thought processes :D

Decent pitching? are you nuts?

The phills have 4 very good starters in Lee,happ,blanton and hamles. Now their closer is a bit missed up ATM but I am hoping he will wake up or they can use myers a reliever.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 12:24 PM

The phills have 4 very good starters in Lee,happ,blanton and hamles. Now their closer is a bit missed up ATM but I am hoping he will wake up or they can use myers a reliever.

I'd give the edge in pitching to the Cards but not by much. The addition of Smoltz will help too if he has recovered from his injury. Not sure how they'll use him, whether he'll be a starter or reliever.

Lars1701a
08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I'd give the edge in pitching to the Cards but not by much. The addition of Smoltz will help too if he has recovered from his injury. Not sure how they'll use him, whether he'll be a starter or reliever.

I didnt even mention Moyers or pedro.

SaintLouieWoman
08-30-2009, 02:15 PM

No he's not nuts. The Cards are winning with their pitching lately. We got quite the bargain from the Red Sox with Schmoltz. He's doing greyt.

BTW, the Cards are ahead of the Cubs 9 games, won last night 9-4.

Carpenter is 14-3, Wainwright is 15-7 (1st to get to the 15 game mark), Pneiro is 13-9 and Smoltz as a Redbrd is 1-0, with an ERA of 0.82. Plus it looks like a new young pltcher, Mitchell Boggs, probably wll be staying wth the Cards and not going back to the minors. He pitched 6 good innings yesterday and picked up his 2nd victory.

BTW, if there are any spelling nazs in the sports forum, my i key is sticking and works sometmes, not others. So no comments on the possible mstakes.

SaintLouieWoman
08-30-2009, 02:26 PM

They've used him as both and he's been good in each assignment. Plus they say he's been very good with the young pitchers. He was Wainwright's idol as a kid. Now they're helping each other on the finer points of their pitching.

I really want Smoltz to show the Reds. It will be a particular pleasure if this turns out to be a greyt deal for the Cards and Smoltz. There's a lot of bad blood between the 2 teams.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
They've used him as both and he's been good in each assignment. Plus they say he's been very good with the young pitchers. He was Wainwright's idol as a kid. Now they're helping each other on the finer points of their pitching.

I really want Smoltz to show the Reds. It will be a particular pleasure if this turns out to be a greyt deal for the Cards and Smoltz. There's a lot of bad blood between the 2 teams.

I like John. Several years ago I was at his first start after his last extended injury. He pitched 3 innings. I was very happy to see him come back.

I hope he stays healthy down the stretch.

expat-pattaya
08-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Spoken like a true fan :D

expat-pattaya
08-30-2009, 09:11 PM

I would say that the edge in pitching is as great for the Cards as the edge in offense is for the Phils.

The real question for this Cards team is "are they ever going to hit"? Even with the addition of Holliday/DeRosa/Lugo this is still a team winning on the backs of it's pitchers. If the offense ever steps it up to the level it shows to be on paper then I submit they are the best team in baseball. But so far, the offense has not lived up to potential.

Still a ways to go. We'll see.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I would say that the edge in pitching is as great for the Cards as the edge in offense is for the Phils.

The real question for this Cards team is "are they ever going to hit"? Even with the addition of Holliday/DeRosa/Lugo this is still a team winning on the backs of it's pitchers. If the offense ever steps it up to the level it shows to be on paper then I submit they are the best team in baseball. But so far, the offense has not lived up to potential.

True. Should be a good playoff series if it comes down to it.

SaintLouieWoman
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Update---the Cards are now 11 1/2 games ahead, beat the Pirates last nght 14-7 (were losing by a run in the 5th or 6th inning). Mighty Albert got a 3 run homer (his 42nd of the year), and Holliday also homered and Ludwick got 2 homers.

The poor Cubbies are crashng and burnng.

expat-pattaya
09-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Update---the Cards are now 11 1/2 games ahead, beat the Pirates last nght 14-7 (were losing by a run in the 5th or 6th inning). Mighty Albert got a 3 run homer (his 42nd of the year), and Holliday also homered and Ludwick got 2 homers.

The poor Cubbies are crashng and burnng.

The Cards are finding ways to win. I suspect even when they fell behind in the 5th inning they expected to have one of them step up and win it for them. This is a very good team with all the right type of players. I know I am a fan and somewhat biased but I think at this time the Cards are the best team in baseball.

Sure hope they prove that in the playoffs and series.vv:D

Bubba Dawg
09-05-2009, 06:34 PM
The Cards do look good. The playoffs should be fun.

expat-pattaya
09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
The Cards do look good. The playoffs should be fun.

Problem for the Phils and Cards at this point is maintaining the killer instinct when the games are becoming unimportant. I guess they are playing for home field advantage now.

Of course with the Phils road record I'm not sure they care much :D

Lars1701a
09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Problem for the Phils and Cards at this point is maintaining the killer instinct when the games are becoming unimportant. I guess they are playing for home field advantage now.

The Phills bats are very cold at the moment. I hope in the home stretch they pick it up, their pitching can only go so far. :(

SaintLouieWoman
09-05-2009, 11:27 PM

OMG, tonight LaRussa gave most of the top players the night off. They were tied, when they put in Albert as a pinch hitter. He got a homer and won the game.

LaRussa amazed me that he did this, but he's a super competitive manager. I'm hoping this is their year, but remember one year (sorry forgot the year) when we had an amazing season, then went down badly in the playoffs. I'm sure LaRussa remembers it too well, so sure he won't let down.

expat-pattaya
09-06-2009, 04:59 AM
The Phills bats are very cold at the moment. I hope in the home stretch they pick it up, their pitching can only go so far. :(

Last year I watched the playoffs. When the dust settled and it was PHI vs TAM I predicted the outcome would be based on how well Ryan did in the series. If he continued to struggle the phils were doomed. He did NOT struggle and the Phils won.

Truly, the Phils live and die with their first 5 hitters. If they are hot - they are dangerous. If not they are very beatable. Still a month away though so not the time for a fan to worry. Enjoy the season. :D

expat-pattaya
09-06-2009, 05:06 AM
OMG, tonight LaRussa gave most of the top players the night off. They were tied, when they put in Albert as a pinch hitter. He got a homer and won the game.

LaRussa amazed me that he did this, but he's a super competitive manager. I'm hoping this is their year, but remember one year (sorry forgot the year) when we had an amazing season, then went down badly in the playoffs. I'm sure LaRussa remembers it too well, so sure he won't let down.

LaRussa faces the age old issue of bringing them down the stretch where they stay hungry to win, while he gives some of his horses a badly needed rest (like Albert who he rode hard and put up wet all first half). Albert denies any issues but he got angry at being bumped because of elbow tenderness IMO. It would also help to have home field advantage for the playoffs since the Cards, like MOST normal teams, play better at home :D

Albert, Molina, et al have shown character so the issue is to maintain momentum without sustaining injury. That and keeping the pitchers in a groove. I think the team is deep enough to cruise to a division title and give some badly needed rest to the players. I especially want to see Wainwright and Carpenter on strict pitch counts the rest of the way. These two guys throw hard and we do not need them to have a "dead arm" come playoffs.

But all thats is LaRussas problem. I'm just a fan. :)

Bubba Dawg
09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Exactly expat, It's important to let your regulars get some rest, and to let the non-regulars get some playing time and at bats, yet you don't want your regulars to lose the edge.

Larussa is good. I'll bet he will balance it out.

I'm still pulling for the Phillies, but if the Birds make it to the series, I'm behind them 100%.

NJCardFan
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
The Phils will win their division because it's so bad but they're going to go nowhere as long as Manuel keeps insisting on using Lidge as his closer. Last night took the cake for me. Down 3-0 into the 7th and the Phils fought back to take the lead only to see Lidge blow it, once again. I mean 0-7, 7.15 ERA, and 10...that's 10 blown saves. What the hell more does it have to take?

SaintLouieWoman
09-06-2009, 01:56 PM

I think Pujols homer in the 10th last night as a pinch hitter might have been a bit personal. He got it against Matt Capps, the pitcher who (most people think deliberately) hit Pujols in the ribs with a 95 mph fastball, in their last encounter a month ago. Apparently LaRussa said, "It's human nature. He's hit intentionally and the next time he has a chance... yeah".

I love baseball, particularly Cards ball. It's a long tradition in my family. I was indoctrinated by my two great uncles, greyt old men whom I idolized as a kid, and by my mom, who loved her Cards. Even Alzheimer's didn't diminish her love of watching Cards game. She'd sit at the nursing home, watching the Cards game while wearing her little Cards visor cap.

Lars1701a
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
The Phils will win their division because it's so bad but they're going to go nowhere as long as Manuel keeps insisting on using Lidge as his closer. Last night took the cake for me. Down 3-0 into the 7th and the Phils fought back to take the lead only to see Lidge blow it, once again. I mean 0-7, 7.15 ERA, and 10...that's 10 blown saves. What the hell more does it have to take?

I am all for putting Myers into the the closer spot.

expat-pattaya
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
So what is wrong with Lidge? He was unbeatable last year.

Lars1701a
09-06-2009, 08:27 PM
So what is wrong with Lidge? He was unbeatable last year.

Seems every other year he is good :(

The next 9 games are against trash so I am hoping their bats will wake up.

Radix
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM

It is hardly fair to say that the Yankees have not won a championship in their new stadium, considering the fact that no other team has won a championship either. Their building is rather new.

I hate the Yankees even more than I am disinterested in the Red Sox.

My favorite MLB season was 1994. Nobody won anything that year.

patriot45
09-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Guess who will be first!! The Yanks are pretty tough!

NJCardFan
09-07-2009, 12:53 PM
It is hardly fair to say that the Yankees have not won a championship in their new stadium, considering the fact that no other team has won a championship either. Their building is rather new.

Rather new? IT'S THE FIRST SEASON OF THE NEW YANKEE STADIUM. I really hate it when clueless people talk sports(not you, the genius you quoted).

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2009, 03:19 PM

That wasn't a dig at the Yankees or Mets. It was a dig at the Cubs.

The Yankees and Mets haven't really had a chance to win one at the new stadiums yet, exactly right, but the Cubs been playin' at Wigley how long....??? :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Rather new? IT'S THE FIRST SEASON OF THE NEW YANKEE STADIUM. I really hate it when clueless people talk sports(not you, the genius you quoted).

Get a clue yourself dipshit. It's a joke that you obviously were too stupid to figure out.

Where's Captain Obvious when you need him?

NJCardFan
09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Get a clue yourself dipshit. It's a joke that you obviously were too stupid to figure out.

It's not a joke if it doesn't make sense there cholly.

Bubba Dawg
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
It's not a joke if it doesn't make sense there cholly.

Tell it when a Cub fan is around.

Wrigley Field was their 'new' ballpark in 1916. They still haven't won a World Series there.

NJCardFan
09-12-2009, 10:01 PM

Wrigley Field was their 'new' ballpark in 1916. They still haven't won a World Series there.
I understand that. But we did. However, after today's loss I'm convinced we will not repeat.

SaintLouieWoman
09-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Don't think the Cubs need to worry this year. The "magic number" is now 6. I heard the Cubs had to sweep the series with the Cards in St Louis this weekend. We won in the 9th with a homer by Matt Holliday. The Cubs are now 10 games behind in the National League Central. This will be the first post-season play in our new stadium.

JB
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Me and 8 guys on CU could win the NL Central.

SaintLouieWoman
09-19-2009, 10:09 PM
That's not nice. :mad::p

Space Gravy
09-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Did someone call?

http://imgsrv.kmbz.com/image/kmbz/UserFiles/Image/Brian%5C%27s%20Pics/captain_obvious.jpg

expat-pattaya
09-20-2009, 06:24 AM

Albert Pujols? Is that you :eek:

Bubba Dawg
09-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Did someone call?

http://imgsrv.kmbz.com/image/kmbz/UserFiles/Image/Brian%5C%27s%20Pics/captain_obvious.jpg

Nice. :D

Bubba Dawg
09-20-2009, 09:27 AM
In the home stretch for the playoffs. I love this time of year.

The Phillies and the Cards look good to take their divisioins. Nice.

Colorado could make a run at the Dodgers. LA is up by 5 and have won 7 of the last 10. The Rockies have shown they can go on a tear, but are 5 and 5 for the last 10.

No one can get too comfortable at this stage...remember the Cubs in 1969.

I have an autographed copy of George Will's Men at Work. When he autographed it, he wrote Revenge '69 above his name.

Lars1701a
09-20-2009, 09:43 AM
In the home stretch for the playoffs. I love this time of year.

The Phillies and the Cards look good to take their divisioins. Nice.

Colorado could make a run at the Dodgers. LA is up by 5 and have won 7 of the last 10. The Rockies have shown they can go on a tear, but are 5 and 5 for the last 10.

No one can get too comfortable at this stage...remember the Cubs in 1969.

I have an autographed copy of George Will's Men at Work. When he autographed it, he wrote Revenge '69 above his name.

Phills are like 2 or 3 games out of the best record in the NL, heres hoping for home field :)

but the phills do better on the road.

Bubba Dawg
09-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Phills are like 2 or 3 games out of the best record in the NL, heres hoping for home field :)

but the phills do better on the road.

I hadn't looked at the home vs away. Interesting.

The Cards are good at home and on the road. Better at home, though.

SaintLouieWoman
09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I hadn't looked at the home vs away. Interesting.

The Cards are good at home and on the road. Better at home, though.

And the magic number is now down to 2 for the Cards. Those darned Cubbies won't give up, have won the last 3 games in a row. After a brief slump, the Birds are back to 4 wins out of the last 5.

It could be clinched tonight with the combination of a Cards win and Cubs lost. Have to admit that I admire the spirit of the Cubs, not giving up yet.

expat-pattaya
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
And the magic number is now down to 2 for the Cards. Those darned Cubbies won't give up, have won the last 3 games in a row. After a brief slump, the Birds are back to 4 wins out of the last 5.

It could be clinched tonight with the combination of a Cards win and Cubs lost. Have to admit that I admire the spirit of the Cubs, not giving up yet.

You have to respect the cubbies players still giving their all. Soriano out. Ramirez in and out. Big money free agent Bradley worse than a bust. So anyone on that team still playing through an injury has my respect.

Bubba Dawg
09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I respect any players on any teams who just give it their all.

Bubba Dawg
09-23-2009, 10:13 PM
And my Braves are still hanging in in the Wildcard race.

You Go Guys.

Bobbie Cox announced today he will retire after the 2010 season.

submarinepainter
09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I am hoping the Red Sox will hang around at least until the World Series

SaintLouieWoman
09-24-2009, 12:06 AM
The Cards' Magic Number is down to one. Both the Cards and Cubbies lost tonight. I hope the Cards cinch it with a win instead of another Cub loss.

expat-pattaya
09-24-2009, 03:12 AM
The Cards' Magic Number is down to one. Both the Cards and Cubbies lost tonight. I hope the Cards cinch it with a win instead of another Cub loss.

I don't care how they clinch. So long as they win 4 in the World Series :D

SaintLouieWoman
09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't care how they clinch. So long as they win 4 in the World Series :D

That's the spirit! :p

marv
09-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Let's do it BIG SaintLouieWoman.........

http://users.mo-net.com/mcruzan/avatars/Cardinals.gif

SaintLouieWoman
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Let's do it BIG SaintLouieWoman.........

Thanks, Marv. Glad to have another Cards fan here. :D

SaintLouieWoman
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10118532/Red-Sox-will-be-armed-and-dangerous-in-playoffs

Hate to post about the Boston Red Sox, our arch rival, one of the teams we love to hate, but found this article. Please read the bolded part. :D

Red Sox will be armed and dangerous in playoffs

by Sean McAdam, Special to FOXSports.com

When they dropped back-to-back games to the lowly Kansas City Royals earlier this week, they essentially kissed their shot at the AL East title goodbye and it's possible that, sometime this weekend, they may have to suffer the indignity of watching the New York Yankees celebrate the clinching of a division championship right in front of them.

But in the big picture, that's a minor disappointment. Sometime in the next week, the Boston Red Sox will clinch a playoff spot of their own, their sixth in the last seven years.

That means the Sox must be prepared to open the ALDS on the road, and should they advance, the ALCS, too. That's not the most enviable scenario, but it's hardly impossible.

In fact, there are many who believe that, seeding aside, the Red Sox might be the team to beat in the American League.
"I wouldn't want to play them I'll tell you that,'' said an executive with another major-league club. "Five-game series, seven-game series ... they're dangerous.''
"Some teams are built for the long haul,'' said the GM of another team. "The Red Sox, with that pitching staff, are built for October.''

Even before they cross the finish line, the Sox are getting hot at the right time. Since Aug. 10, they own the best record (28-13) in the American League and the second-best in the baseball, behind only the Cardinals. They have the best home record in either league and still have a chance to finish with a winning record on the road something only the Yankees and Angels can currently boast in the AL.

snip

Ya gotta love those birds. :p;)

marv
09-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Cardinals win the Central Division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SarasotaRepub
09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
WOOT!!!!

What a greyt Football Victory!!!!

SaintLouieWoman
09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Cardinals win the Central Division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay, watching it on TV. I'm so glad that they won it on their own, not due to a Cubs loss.

Wainwright was spectacular---11 strikeouts, only 130 pitches. Here's hoping he gets the Cy Young award.

They've been showing parties all over town, lots of people in downtown STL bars and restaurants. The Green Bay Packer fans are here for their game with the Rams tomorrow.

One Packers fan lifted his shirt and showed he had a Cards shirt underneath. They interviewed a lot of Packer fans, all saying they were hoping for the Cards.

expat-pattaya
09-27-2009, 06:51 AM
You know, Lincecum and Carpenter are both aces in their own right and worthy of Cy Young consideration. But day in day out all year long Wainwright has been the best stopper. I feel he merits the CY this year.

Bubba Dawg
10-03-2009, 06:44 PM
The Rockies and Dodgers play at 10:00 tonight. It's fun to watch Colorado trying to chase down the Dodgers. Nice they are head to head.

expat-pattaya
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
The Rockies and Dodgers play at 10:00 tonight. It's fun to watch Colorado trying to chase down the Dodgers. Nice they are head to head.

Looks like the first round is set.

Rockies at Phillies

Cardinals at Dodgers

Bubba Dawg
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Here's a bracket.

The only one left to be decided is the Twins/Tigers.

One game playoff Tuesday.

http://www.bonusbeast.com/images/bbmlbplayoffbracketthumb.jpg

ralph wiggum
10-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Here's a bracket.

The only one left to be decided is the Twins/Tigers.

One game playoff Tuesday.

http://www.bonusbeast.com/images/bbmlbplayoffbracketthumb.jpg

I'll take the Cardinals vs. Rockies to meet in the NLCS, and the dreaded Yanks & Red Sox in the ALCS.

Of course, my predictions haven't been worth squat lately, so take it for what its worth.

expat-pattaya
10-04-2009, 08:29 PM
As a Cards fan I didn't see an easy opponent so play who you get. Play well :D

NJCardFan
10-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I'll take the Cardinals vs. Rockies to meet in the NLCS, and the dreaded Yanks & Red Sox in the ALCS.

Of course, my predictions haven't been worth squat lately, so take it for what its worth.
You actually think the Rockies can beat the Phils? You're trippin'.

ralph wiggum
10-04-2009, 11:19 PM

The Rockies are a hot team. I love the Phillies lineup, but I don't think they're on the roll they were last year. Plus, y'all have Lidge who is, maybe, kinda, inconsistent.

Just my observations. I like the Phils, just don't think they're peaking at the right time.

expat-pattaya
10-05-2009, 04:13 AM

It is easy to fall into the trap of gushing over the good players on ones own team. Take a look at that Rockies lineup and you'll see why it is a fair match. I promise you the Phils management is very concerned about winning ANY series they play in this year. There are no weak sisters in the NL playoffs.

Phils - 820 runs scored (1st)
Rocks - 804 (2nd)

Phils - gave up 673 earned runs (6th)
Rocks - 675 earned runs (7th)

Phils - 93-69
Rocks - 92-70

If you see more than a statistical error between these two teams you are better at it than I.

I predict Phils for two reasons. One -experience. This is a very young Rockies team. And they are leaning on some very young pitching. Two - the Rocks are tired from their run at the Dodgers for their place in the playoffs.

I pick the Rocks if they win game one in Philly. That's how close it is.

Over on the other side I pick the Cards over the Dodgers - cause i LIKE the Cards :D Well, that and I think the Cards have an amazing 1-2 pitching punch with Carpenter and Wainwright and they will win it all. Doesn't hurt to have the best player in the game and a decent supporting cast.

Bubba Dawg
10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
For me, the National League playoffs are too close to call.

I'm rooting for the Phillies cuz I've rooted for them since the days of Tug McGraw and Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt. I'm rooting for the Cards because I like them. Head to head, I like the Phillies.

I'll be a Braves fan first and last and til I die but for many many years, comes the playoffs, I had to find somebody else to root for. (Braves wuzn't in it or had bowed out.) I actually cried when the Braves won the World Series in 95.

I remember the days when we'd play the Big Red Machine and I'd just hope not to get swept.

And I still listen to baseball on the radio.

expat-pattaya
10-06-2009, 12:15 AM
For me, the National League playoffs are too close to call.

I'm rooting for the Phillies cuz I've rooted for them since the days of Tug McGraw and Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt. I'm rooting for the Cards because I like them. Head to head, I like the Phillies.

I'll be a Braves fan first and last and til I die but for many many years, comes the playoffs, I had to find somebody else to root for. (Braves wuzn't in it or had bowed out.) I actually cried when the Braves won the World Series in 95.

I remember the days when we'd play the Big Red Machine and I'd just hope not to get swept.

And I still listen to baseball on the radio.

I lived outside Philly during those years. While I will always be a Cards fan first and foremost, I admit I jumped on the bandwagon to cheer the Phils on. It was a good team to watch.

Bubba Dawg
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I lived outside Philly during those years. While I will always be a Cards fan first and foremost, I admit I jumped on the bandwagon to cheer the Phils on. It was a good team to watch.

I know what you mean. For so long I had to figure out who I'd root for once MY TEAM got eliminated.

Some teams I remember fondly, like the We Are Family Pirates with Pops Stargell and those guys.

I'd even root for the Reds back in the days of Bench and Rose and those guys. And the Red Sox with Yazstremski and Freddie Lynn and Fisk. I had a hard time choosing between those two teams. Great Series though.

Good Times.

Bubba Dawg
10-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Last game to decide the playoffs.

Twins and Tigers.

3 - 2 Detroit in the 7th......scratch that.....4 - 3 Twins in the 7th.

Two run homer by Cabrerra. Nice.

expat-pattaya
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
4 all top of the ninth. Tigers got two on with no outs. Talk about down to the wire. :eek:

Constitutionally Speaking
10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
HELLUVA game going on right now.

GO TIGERS!

patriot45
10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
HELLUVA game going on right now.

GO TIGERS!

Great game, but either one will be too tired for the Yanks!! :D

10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Great game, but either one will be too tired for the Yanks!! :D

I know!! The first pitch for tomorrow's game is something like 17 hrs. away! :mad:

10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
That pitch hit Inge.

Shoulda been the ballgame.

10-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Or at least kept the twins from winning.

Congrats Minnesota.

NJCardFan
10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
As a lifelong Phillies fan, here are my concerns for this series:

Pitching-Been both brilliant and dreadful. Cliff Lee is starting today and I'm hoping that it's the Cliff Lee of the first 4 starts as a Phillie. Since then he's been up and down. Hamels has not been the picture of consistency either. Our bullpen has been erratic at best when last season it was a strong point. Happ, Blanton, and Martinez will be in the bullpen for games 1&2.

Hitting-When this team is hitting, there is no team who can keep up with them. Up and down the lineup there is both power and contact hitting. Rollins has been hitting better but Utley seems to be tired. My biggest concern here is hitting with runners in scoring position. Through the 2nd half of the season this team has been abysmal. They have a propensity to get a runner to 3rd with no out and strand him. I can count how many times this team has had runners on 1st and 3rd or 2nd and third or even the bases loaded with less than 2 out and not score a run. This team had to lead the planet in stranded runners.

Managing-Manuel's blind loyalty could be the downfall of this team in the playoffs. He didn't outright say it but it appears he's going to go with Lidge as his closer. Oy. 0-8, 11 blown saves. And ERA slightly better than mine and I haven't pitched since 1983.

This series isn't a cakewalk by any stretch. But IMO whoever wins game 1 wins the series.

NJCardFan
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Bottom of the 6th and it's 5-0 Phils. Cliff Lee has been lights out since the 3rd and they beat up the Rox staff ace.

Lars1701a
10-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Bottom of the 6th and it's 5-0 Phils. Cliff Lee has been lights out since the 3rd and they beat up the Rox staff ace.

I got the game on and they are kicking ass.

They dont look a bit tired or unready for this game (so far). I think the wind robbed teh phills of a couple of HR's. We would be up 3 more runs if Rollins would get hot.

SaintLouieWoman
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
OMG:eek: The Cards are losing 3-1. They scored in the first, but it's been terrible, terrible ever since. Carpenter is really screwing up. I wish we had better smileys. I need the crying one.

patriot45
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Yankees are unbeaten in the playoffs so far! :D
Go Yanks!

SaintLouieWoman
10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Go Yanks!

Damned Yankees!! Wait, that was a Broadway play and a movie. :D

I didn't see all of the first Cards inning, because the Yankee game went over time wise. I never watch TNT. The local Charter switched the Cards/Dodger game to TNT from TBS tll the Yankees finished.

Wasn't ths the Yankees first game? The score was 7-2 when I finally found the Cards.

Feeling a bit better---the Cards scored another run, so now 3/2 Dodgers.

expat-pattaya
10-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Damned Yankees!! Wait, that was a Broadway play and a movie. :D

I didn't see all of the first Cards inning, because the Yankee game went over time wise. I never watch TNT. The local Charter switched the Cards/Dodger game to TNT from TBS tll the Yankees finished.

Wasn't ths the Yankees first game? The score was 7-2 when I finally found the Cards.

Feeling a bit better---the Cards scored another run, so now 3/2 Dodgers.

Nailbiter. In the 4th when the Cards loaded the bases with 2 outs we lost the satelite feed here in Thailand. Sunspots. :confused:

Now that is not acceptable. This is BASEBALL. little thing like sunspots should not be allowed to interfere.:D

Lars1701a
10-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Go Yanks!

Doesnt matter they will lose to the phills if they dont get bumped off before then.

I heard a little factoid durning the game: The spankies spent like 1.3 billion (thats right billion) dollars over a certain peirod of time and have no WS to show for it. :p:D

PoliCon
10-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Doesnt matter they will lose to the phills if they dont get bumped off before then.

I heard a little factoid durning the game: The spankies spent like 1.3 billion (thats right billion) dollars over a certain peirod of time and have no WS to show for it. :p:D

wouldn't that suck for the rest of the country - 3 out of 4 major league sports titles held in the same state . . . .

Lars1701a
10-07-2009, 11:55 PM
wouldn't that suck for the rest of the country - 3 out of 4 major league sports titles held in the same state . . . .

Hockey is not really a sport.

PoliCon
10-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Hockey is not really a sport.

rotfl! It's more a sport than baseball!

Lars1701a
10-07-2009, 11:59 PM
rotfl! It's more a sport than baseball!

I wont grace that idiotic statement with a response.

Oh if you cant tell that I am joking you're a bigger douche then i give your credit for.

PoliCon
10-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I wont grace that idiotic statement with a response.

Oh if you cant tell that I am joking you're a bigger douche then i give your credit for.

oh you were joking . . . I see. It was hard for me to tell considering I always think of you AS a joke! :D

Lars1701a
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
oh you were joking . . . I see. It was hard for me to tell considering I always think of you AS a joke! :D

Oh you crack me up douche. :cool:

NJCardFan
10-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I got the game on and they are kicking ass.

They dont look a bit tired or unready for this game (so far). I think the wind robbed teh phills of a couple of HR's. We would be up 3 more runs if Rollins would get hot.
Or if the umpires made the right call on his ground out in the 6th. But to be fair, this umpiring crew must have come from the Stevie Wonder School of Umpiring. They were just God awful and blew a couple of calls against the Rox as well.

Lars1701a
10-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Or if the umpires made the right call on his ground out in the 6th. But to be fair, this umpiring crew must have come from the Stevie Wonder School of Umpiring. They were just God awful.

I agree they were pretty bad. Did you get the sense they were trying to balance out the calls with that Rollins play that clearly showed him safe at first?

ralph wiggum
10-08-2009, 01:42 AM
OK, it's finally over and I can fall asleep now.

Cards had the bases loaded & couldn't come through.

Someone remind me never to make predictions again. :D

expat-pattaya
10-08-2009, 02:49 AM
OK, it's finally over and I can fall asleep now.

Cards had the bases loaded TWICE & couldn't come through.

Someone remind me never to make predictions again. :D

(sigh)

JB
10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Yesterday was such a great day. The Phils won and the Cardinals lost. If only the Yankees lost it would have been so much better.

Phils now 1-1. I'm hardly panicing. Cole Hamels is a girl.

Lars1701a
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Yesterday was such a great day. The Phils won and the Cardinals lost. If only the Yankees lost it would have been so much better.

Phils now 1-1. I'm hardly panicing. Cole Hamels is a girl.

Well his wife was going into labor, I think his mind might be on that.

Just didnt get a lot of run support but the Phills do better on the road.

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Well his wife was going into labor, I think his mind might be on that.

Just didnt get a lot of run support but the Phills do better on the road.

I think you're right.

Bubba Dawg
10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Yankees Twins tied 3-3 in the 10th.

lacarnut
10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Yankees Twins tied 3-3 in the 10th.

The Twins got robbed. The ump must be in the Yanks pocket cause that drive to left field that was called out was 8" inside the line. Cost them a least 1 run.

patriot45
10-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Hehe, bases loaded and nothing! Texiera rules!!! Go Yanks!:D

SarasotaRepub
10-09-2009, 11:09 PM

The Yanks are gonna win. :D

Long term Fan.

lacarnut
10-10-2009, 12:50 AM

The left field ump must have either bet on the game or is blind because the ball he called a foul was in by a foot. The Twins got robbed.

NJCardFan
10-10-2009, 01:38 AM
The left field ump must have either bet on the game or is blind because the ball he called a foul was in by a foot. The Twins got robbed.
That may be true but the Twins really screwed up when that dude fell rounding 2nd which cost them a run.

lacarnut
10-10-2009, 01:46 AM
That may be true but the Twins really screwed up when that dude fell rounding 2nd which cost them a run.

Player screwing up is one thing but a blind ump is another. I just hope this ump is not allowed to advance to the next round of playoffs. Maybe instant replay would work; each team gets 1 per game.

ralph wiggum
10-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Phillies-Rockies pushed back to Sunday (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4548256)

DENVER -- Colorado manager Jim Tracy suspected this might not be a night for baseball when even his dogs wanted to skip the morning walk.

Major League Baseball agreed with Tracy's beagles.

Game 3 of the Phillies-Rockies playoff on Saturday night has been postponed because of cold, snowy weather.

Major League Baseball rescheduled the game for Sunday night at 10:07 p.m. ET, and Game 4 was pushed back to Monday, at a time to be determined. Game 5, if necessary, will be played as scheduled on Tuesday in Philadelphia, without a day off for travel.

JB
10-10-2009, 08:00 PM
East Coast team starting at 10:07 on a Sunday night. Brilliant.

And watching the Yankees the last couple games has made me despise them more by a factor of 10. They won't get past the Angels.

SaintLouieWoman
10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
It's almost all over for the Cards. The fat lady is warming up, ready to sing. :( It's been a weird game with very quiet fans. It's been raining for the last couple days, finally got a bright, sunny but cold day.

It's so sad, with the Cards losing 5-0 and being swept by the Dodgers. Oh, well, there's always next year, but it's soooo disappointing after such a greyt regular season.

ralph wiggum
10-10-2009, 09:34 PM
It's almost all over for the Cards. The fat lady is warming up, ready to sing. :( It's been a weird game with very quiet fans. It's been raining for the last couple days, finally got a bright, sunny but cold day.

It's so sad, with the Cards losing 5-0 and being swept by the Dodgers. Oh, well, there's always next year, but it's soooo disappointing after such a greyt regular season.

Quite a bummer. :(

Lars1701a
10-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Very sorry to hear about the cards :(

Now we have to suffer due to the lack of forsight in Denver and wait for the snow to stop. You would have thought they would have built an indoor ballpark in such a cold weather area.

NJCardFan
10-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Very sorry to hear about the cards :(

Now we have to suffer due to the lack of forsight in Denver and wait for the snow to stop. You would have thought they would have built an indoor ballpark in such a cold weather area.

Or at least a retractable dome. It's almost like they set out to screw the Phillies. First 2 games as home and they get stuck with 2:30pm starts. Then to go out west to play 2 evening west games and now if there's a game 5 it's back to Philly and if the Phils win, it's back out west. Now I'm hoping the Phils win out of spite.

Lars1701a
10-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Or at least a retractable dome. It's almost like they set out to screw the Phillies. First 2 games as home and they get stuck with 2:30pm starts. Then to go out west to play 2 evening west games and now if there's a game 5 it's back to Philly and if the Phils win, it's back out west. Now I'm hoping the Phils win out of spite.

It sucks that the dodgers get at least 3 days more rest then the phills.

ralph wiggum
10-11-2009, 12:01 AM
It sucks that the dodgers get at least 3 days more rest then the phills.

It would be so much better if they made the divisional series 7 games like the rest. It is a better test, IMHO.

expat-pattaya
10-11-2009, 06:37 AM

Perhaps the concept of finishing the baseball season in September (playoffs included) is an idea. :D

But heck yeah, what moron in Denver built a ball park without a dome? :confused:

I am now officially in mourning for the 2009 Cardinals. They slumped at the worst possible time. But I'm warning Phils/Rocks fans part of that was darn good pitching by the Dodgers. They look to be a SOLID team. Watch out.

Lars1701a
10-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Perhaps the concept of finishing the baseball season in September (playoffs included) is an idea. :D

But heck yeah, what moron in Denver built a ball park without a dome? :confused:

I am now officially in mourning for the 2009 Cardinals. They slumped at the worst possible time. But I'm warning Phils/Rocks fans part of that was darn good pitching by the Dodgers. They look to be a SOLID team. Watch out.

Well it happens to them in april as well, so you have at least 2 months of bad weather in that city. I will worry about the dodges if we get past the rockies.

Bubba Dawg
10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry about the Cards. :(

Never figured they'd be gone in 3.

Lars1701a
10-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Its got me as a philly phan a bit concerned but we will see.

Bubba Dawg
10-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Its got me as a philly phan a bit concerned but we will see.

Me too. The Cards are/were a good team. I was shocked to see them gone in three.

Joe Torre is a good manager and the Dodgers have talent.

djones520
10-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Is the Baseball play-offs a best of 5?

Lars1701a
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM

This first seres yes its a 5 gamer.

Bubba Dawg
10-11-2009, 11:39 AM

First round. Next round it's a best of 7.

NJCardFan
10-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Phils match up well against LA. I know LA will want a little revenge for last season. Of course we have to get past the Rox first.

Bubba Dawg
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Phils match up well against LA. I know LA will want a little revenge for last season. Of course we have to get past the Rox first.

If it ever quits snowing.

JB
10-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Me too. The Cards are/were a good team. I was shocked to see them gone in three. Really? Didn't surprise me a bit.

They're in the NL Central. Teams from the NL Central shouldn't even be allowed to make the playoffs. :D

I wonder when LaRussa's BAC was higher...after they clinched or after they lost. What was the longer drive home?

NJCardFan
10-12-2009, 05:07 PM
It's obvious to me that MLB is out to punish the Phillies and their fans. These first 3 games were on at times where it would be a hardship for fans, especially kids, to watch these games. Then they assign the worst possible umpires...wait a minute, I digress, they all suck. Anyway, thankfully game 4 is on at 6:30pm so all can watch and we won't have to worry about the game ending at 2:15am like last night.

NJCardFan
10-13-2009, 12:03 AM
PHILS WIN! What a game. Now where are those Dodgers!

ralph wiggum
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
PHILS WIN! What a game. Now where are those Dodgers!

That was a hell of a ballgame. Congrats to the Phils. Hope the NLCS & ALCS games are just as interesting.

Lars1701a
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I thought we had lost that game in the 8th inning :)

Well bring on the dodgers I just hope the phills can get fired up again cause you know LA is going to be.

JB
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I'll take the Cardinals vs. Rockies to meet in the NLCSI wanted to call you a scumbag when you first posted this but got distracted. :D

I'll just quote this for posterity.

Angels vs. Phillies

Phillies in 6.

I'll be at Broad and Chestnut if anyone wants to meet me there.

Lars1701a
10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I wanted to call you a scumbag when you first posted this but got distracted. :D

Angels vs. Phillies

Phillies in 6.

Spankees vs the Phillies, Phills in 5 :D

I want them to beat the Dodgers for SLW :)

JB
10-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Spankees vs the Phillies, Phills in 5 :DI don't want the Yankees anywhere near the World Series. Not because they'll win just because they're the Yankees.

They're the Dallas Cowboys of baseball. To be hated for hatreds sake. :D

Jumpy
10-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I wanted to call you a scumbag when you first posted this but got distracted. :D

Angels vs. Phillies

Phillies in 6.

I'll be at Broad and Chestnut if anyone wants to meet me there.Wish I was closer, because I would meet you there with bells and whistles. An hour and a halfish drive is too long.

ralph wiggum
10-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Angels vs. Phillies

Phillies in 6.

I said somewhere upthread that I should really stop making predictions.

So for your sake (and others), I should predict the Dodgers to win, right?

Bubba Dawg
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I said somewhere upthread that I should really stop making predictions.

So for your sake (and others), I should predict the Dodgers to win, right?

I'm going Phillies vs Yankees and the Phillies win in 7.

Congrats to all these teams.

Bubba Dawg
10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Phillie are playing the Dodgers tonight.

Yankees playing the Angels tomorrow night...weather permitting. Cold and rainy is forecast.

I'm torn. I'm a National League fan, but I'm also an East Coast fan. If it comes down to Phillies vs Angels, I'd down with the Phillies. If it's Yankees versus Dodgers, though, I'm at a loss. I can't stand West Coast teams.

Hope it doesn't come down to that.

And if it's Dodgers vs Angels, I won't even watch. Period.

patriot45
10-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I've held back till now! Yanks sweep everybody! :D First the angels then bring on the traitor Torre! This is the first time in his life that A-rod is hot in the post season! That by itself wins games, add in Texiera, a resurgent DJ, a hot Damon and the speedsters on the bench and oh, a kick ass pitching staff and now I feel sorry for you fans of the losing teams!:D

Go Yanks!!

Bubba Dawg
10-15-2009, 10:19 PM
:p:D

http://usss.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/arodpurse.jpg

patriot45
10-15-2009, 10:33 PM
:p:D

http://usss.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/arodpurse.jpg

Ha! You know that DJ has more highlight reels than most teams have put together! He will be known as one of the best!

Bubba Dawg
10-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Ha! You know that DJ has more highlight reels than most teams have put together! He will be known as one of the best!

Glad he's hitting in post season....for a change. :p

patriot45
10-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Glad he's hitting in post season....for a change. :p

The guy is a legend!

Jeter recorded his 2,000th career hit with an infield single on May 26, 2006 off Kansas City Royals pitcher Scott Elarton, becoming the eighth Yankee to reach the milestone.[62]
Jeter holds the record for most singles all-time by a Yankee.[63]
Jeter is one of six players to have 2,700 hits, 1,500 runs, 220 homers, 300 steals and 1,000 RBI (the others are Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Rickey Henderson, Willie Mays, and Paul Molitor).[64]
On June 18, 2005, against the Chicago Cubs, Jeter hit his first and only grand slam, after 10 years in the major leagues. At one point, Jeter had the most at bats of any active player to not have hit a grand slam.[65]
On June 4, 2008, Jeter passed Mickey Mantle for 3rd place on the Yankees all time hit list.[66]
On June 27, 2008, Jeter hit his 400th double.[67]
On July 12, 2008, Jeter hit his 200th home run.[68]
On September 9, 2008, Jeter passed Babe Ruth for 2nd place on the Yankees all time hit list.[69]
On September 14, 2008, Jeter tied Lou Gehrig for most hits at Yankee Stadium[70]
On September 16, 2008, Jeter moved past Lou Gehrig for most hits at Yankee Stadium with his 1,270th in the 1st inning, and 1,271st in the 5th inning.
On July 24, 2009, Jeter passed Ted Williams for 68th place in all-time hits with his 2,655th.[71]
On August 2, 2009, Jeter played in his 2,084th game, tying Babe Ruth for 4th in Yankees history.[72]
On August 16, 2009, Jeter recorded his 2,673th and 2,674th hits, tying and passing Luis Aparicio for most hits by a shortstop in Major League history.[73]
On September 11, 2009, Jeter became the Yankees' all-time hits leader, surpassing Lou Gehrig with his 2,722nd hit, a single to right field off of Baltimore Orioles pitcher Chris Tillman in the 3rd inning

patriot45
10-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I ain't done yet! :D

10-time AL All-Star (19982002, 2004, 20062009)[12]
4-time NY Yankees Player of the Year (19982000, 2006)[38]
3-time AL Gold Glove Award (SS) (200406)[12]
2-time Baseball America 1st-Team Major League All-Star (SS) (1999, 2004)[38]
3-time AL Silver Slugger (SS) (200608)[12][38]
Kalamazoo Area B'nai B'rith Award for Scholar Athlete (1992)[12]
American Baseball Coaches Association High School Player of the Year (1992)[12][39]
Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year (1992)[12]
USA Today High School Player of the Year (1992)[12]
South Atlantic League All-Star (SS) (1993)[12]
South Atlantic League's Best Defensive Shortstop, Most Exciting Player, Best Infield Arm (1993)[12]
Florida State League All-Star (SS) (1994)[38]
Baseball America 1st Team Minor League All-Star (SS) (1994)[12]
New York Yankees Minor League Player of the Year (1994)[12]
Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year (1994)[12]
The Sporting News Minor League Player of the Year (1994)[12]
USA Today Baseball Weekly Minor League Player of the Year (1994)[12]
Topps/NAPBL Minor League Player of the Year (1994)[12]
Florida State League Most Valuable Player (1994)[12]
International League All-Star (SS) (1995)[38]
AL Rookie of the Year (1996)[12][38]
Joan Payson Award for Community Service (1997)[39]
Babe Ruth Award (2000)[39]
All-Star Game Most Valuable Player (2000)[12]
World Series Most Valuable Player (2000)[12]
The Sporting News "Good Guy in Sports" Award (2002)[39]
Hank Aaron Award (2006)[39]

Bubba Dawg
10-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Okay. Okay. The kid has talent. :D

I'm also impressed by his time in the dugout with Madonna.

And no way I root for the Dodgers or the Angels against any East Coast team so if it comes down to it, I'll cheer him on against against either of those teams.

Of course, the Phillies are gonna be there. Just sayin' if.....

ralph wiggum
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't really care all that much for any of the remaining teams. So, here's the deal. If you want your team to win, just ask me nicely to root for the team they're playing, and with my luck in predictions/rooting, your team will win. :D

ralph wiggum
10-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Jeter is the most over-rated defensive player in recent memory. Discuss. :D

Bubba Dawg
10-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice. :D

patriot45
10-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Jeter is the most over-rated defensive player in recent memory. Discuss. :D

I can't remember a play he didn't make! Usually they are dramatic!

By the way, concensus was he was washed up this year! What did he average? 335!

Through the 2008 season, Derek Jeter won the Gold Glove in 2004, 2005, and 2006.

ralph wiggum
10-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I can't remember a play he didn't make! Usually they are dramatic!

By the way, concensus was he was washed up this year! What did he average? 335!

Have you ever seen him make a good play to his left? Tapping foot...waiting....no!!!! :D He makes the dramatic plays in the hole with the jump throw, but he's very weak with balls up the middle.

He's an average fielder, he didn't deserve the gold gloves. Most of the sophisticated defensive metrics suggest that. The Yanks should have moved him to 2B and put A-Rod at short after the trade.

Look, Jeter is a great player overall, and a no-brainer Hall-of-Famer. I like the guy, he's just over-rated defensively, and has kinda been under-rated offensively over his career. On a baseball list that I subscribe to, there has been dissertation-level discussion over the years about his defense, both pro & con.

patriot45
10-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Have you ever seen him make a good play to his left? Tapping foot...waiting....no!!!! :D He makes the dramatic plays in the hole with the jump throw, but he's very weak with balls up the middle.

He's an average fielder, he didn't deserve the gold gloves. Most of the sophisticated defensive metrics suggest that. The Yanks should have moved him to 2B and put A-Rod at short after the trade.

Look, Jeter is a great player overall, and a no-brainer Hall-of-Famer. I like the guy, he's just over-rated defensively, and has kinda been under-rated offensively over his career. On a baseball list that I subscribe to, there has been dissertation-level discussion over the years about his defense, both pro & con.

Metrics aside :rolleyes:, he is Mr. clutch! When the play has to be made he make em! Leaping into the stands or just plain old baseball awareness savvy, he has got it! He has that Donnie baseball thing!:D

ralph wiggum
10-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Metrics aside :rolleyes:, he is Mr. clutch! When the play has to be made he make em! Leaping into the stands or just plain old baseball awareness savvy, he has got it! He has that Donnie baseball thing!:D

I'm really not bashing him, I hope you know that. Just being a Yankee makes him overexposed. I certainly wouldn't kick him off of my team if I had him. Of course I'm not Rush Limbaugh, and can't buy a team. :D

Lars1701a
10-16-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't really care all that much for any of the remaining teams. So, here's the deal. If you want your team to win, just ask me nicely to root for the team they're playing, and with my luck in predictions/rooting, your team will win. :D

PLEASE root for the dodgers :)

I will be your bestest friend :D

Bubba Dawg
10-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Angels Yankees on right now.

It's cold in NY.

Bubba Dawg
10-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Solo homer by Jeter.

Gotta say he is an above-average shortstop.

Most of the time.

expat-pattaya
10-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Solo homer by Jeter.

Gotta say he is an above-average shortstop.

Most of the time.

Err, h is an above average shortstop with a bat in his hands all the time. But he is below average with the glove. The bat part seems to more than compensate in the eyes of Yankees management. :cool: