PDA

View Full Version : OFCC Member Harassed By Police (Ohioans For Concealed Carry)

megimoo
07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Another OFCC Member Harassed for Open Carry in Northwood

Yet another Ohioans For Concealed Carry member experienced harassment from police ignorant of the laws in Ohio regarding open carry.

OFCC member Edwin Farbrother took his eighteen-year-old daughter out for ice cream on her birthday in the evening of Saturday, July 5th, 2008 in the City of Northwood. After being there for approximately ten minutes, a police car roared up and skidded to a stop.

The officer approached a man later identified as an off duty police officer (department unknown at this time) who pointed Farbrother out to him. Farbrother knew immediately that the officer was there because he was openly carrying a firearm, and he was correct.

Farbrother immediately informed the officer that he had a concealed handgun license, but the officer was not interested in that. Instead, he immediately began berating Farbrother for openly carrying a gun where children were present, and told Farbrother that he was breaking the law by doing so.
snip
The initial officer responding to the scene had demanded Farbrother's drivers license, which had recently been issued and was kept in a protective cover.

During the conversation, the officer was allegedly witnessed by both Farbrother and his daughter bending the license in his hand.

At the end of the stop he returned it broken in half. When Farbrother pointed out the license was broken, the officer shrugged and said, "oh, well."

Soon after, a third officer showed up.

The third officer joined in the conversation again asserting that open carry is illegal and told Farbrother that the Ohio Highway Patrol had lied to him when he confirmed with them that open carry is legal in Ohio.
snip
They then informed him that they were letting him go, but if he did it again he would be arrested and they would let the judge sort out who was right and who was wrong.
snip

Chief Thomas Cairl was very adamant that open carry is illegal in Ohio, despite not being able to quote the section of the Ohio Revised Code that supported his position.
snip

He argued that the concealed carry manual published by the Ohio Attorney General did not say open carry was legal, to which I countered it didn't say it wasn't legal. He then said he would refer the matter to his attorney.

When I mentioned the broken drivers license, he became even more agitated and demanded to know if I was accusing his officers of willful destruction of property.

I replied that I was simply relating facts as they were brought to my attention. The license was intact when handed over, and broken when returned.

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4026/83/

Vepr
07-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I am torn on this issue. On one hand I think it should be fine to open carry and I can see the point they are trying to make but on the other hand they have to know it is going to scare the sheep which some of them seem to delight in.

Either way it does not excuse officers from being thugs if they broke his license. I respect what the police do and what they have to go through but I really wonder about standards for police officers sometimes. I know more than a few due to friends that are in the force and through IDPA and it seems for every good officer there is a bone head to give them a bad name. Over aggressive, incompetent bullies that will actually brag to you about how they were an ass and had to show joe citizen who was boss in several instances. :(

megimoo
07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
I am torn on this issue. On one hand I think it should be fine to open carry and I can see the point they are trying to make but on the other hand they have to know it is going to scare the sheep which some of them seem to delight in.

Either way it does not excuse officers from being thugs if they broke his license. I respect what the police do and what they have to go through but I really wonder about standards for police officers sometimes. I know more than a few due to friends that are in the force and through IDPA and it seems for every good officer there is a bone head to give them a bad name. Over aggressive, incompetent bullies that will actually brag to you about how they were an ass and had to show joe citizen who was boss in several instances. :(Selecting good Cops is always a tough job .The ones who actively persue being police should undergo deep psychological testing to find out why .The power over people is a powerful narcotic to some weak critters !