PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon, Eyeing Iran, Wants to Rush 30,000-Pound Bomb Program

Lanie
08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Pentagon, Eyeing Iran, Wants to Rush 30,000-Pound Bomb Program

Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Tony Capaccio

July 31 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Defense Department wants to accelerate by three years the deployment of a 30,000-pound bunker-buster bomb, a request that reflects growing unease over nuclear threats from Iran and North Korea.

Comptroller Robert Hale, in a formal request to the four congressional defense committees earlier this month, asked permission to shift about $68 million in the Pentagon’s budget to this program to ensure the first four bombs could be mounted on stealthy B-2 bombers by July 2010.

Hale, in his July 8 request, said there was “an urgent operational need for the capability to strike hard and deeply buried targets in high-threat environments,” and top commanders of U.S. forces in Asia and the Middle East “recently identified the need to expedite” the bomb program.

The bomb would be the U.S. military’s largest and six times bigger than the 5,000-pound bunker buster that the Air Force now uses to attack deeply buried nuclear, biological or chemical sites.

Accelerating the program “is intended to, at the very least, give the president the option of conducting a strike to knock out Iran’s main uranium enrichment capabilities,” said Ken Katzman, Middle East military expert for the non-partisan Congressional Research Service.

Iran Given Deadline

President Barack Obama said Iran must respond by late September to an invitation for unconditional talks with the West on ending what’s believed to be a nuclear weapons program. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said this week in Israel that the offer is not open-ended, and his counterpart, Ehud Barak, warned that Israel is considering all measures if diplomatic efforts fail.

Chicago-based Boeing Co. is developing the bomb which was successfully demonstrated in March 2007.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aMiQmByND.2A

I don't think it can be argued that Obama won't get aggressive with other countries anymore. A 30,000 lb bomb? I don't know how I feel about that. Is that necessary? It frightens me.

stsinner
08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Good news, if there's any truth to it, that we're actually gonna show some sack for once in the appeaser's administration.

When you can't earn their respect, sometimes you need to demand it. The Iranians don't listen tp words, they don't cave to threats.. All they understand is crushing power-seems to be a trait of that part of the globe...

SPYDER
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I think its a good idea!!! N Korea and Iran think that their underground bunkers are safe from conventional bombs. They know we won't nuke them first. I would like to see the hole 30,000 lbs of bomb could make!!!

Teetop
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
This, the bomb research, has nothing to do with Obama or his administration. The Pentagon is always asking weapons manufacturers for new weapons or upgraded other weapons.

I bet it would penetrate very deep. A bunker-buster of today can penetrate more than 100 feet of earth.

BadCat
08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
This seems like a bit of overkill to bomb a milk factory.

That's all a Dim president would ever do.