PDA

View Full Version : Finally Friday

jendf
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
The valley had its first big monsoon storm of the season last night. It was glorious. In my part of town, we got a little over an inch of rain in the span of 40 minutes. Some parts of the city got 2.5 inches.

It's extremely muggy out this morning. I just put my hair in a ponytail because I didn't even want to try and negotiate with the humidity today.

TOTD: We have a law in Phoenix called The Stupid Motorists Law, which requires any moron who drives through a flooded area and gets stuck and has to be rescued to pay for emergency services instead of the taxpayer. There were a few people who got cited for that last night. :D

When you are out on the road, what is your biggest pet peeve? Do you have an interesting driving story during a storm? Do tell!

Gingersnap
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
This will be our last hot day for a while. I am not really looking forward to our party thingy this afternoon because of the heat.

TOTD: I'm a really relaxed driver so I see a lot of idiocy but I don't get excited about it much. I don't like it when people cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make a turn. Go around the block!

A couple of years ago it took me 4 hours to drive 10 miles in a blizzard. :eek:

jendf
07-11-2008, 10:42 AM
TOTD: I'm a really relaxed driver so I see a lot of idiocy but I don't get excited about it much. I don't like it when people cut across 4 lanes of traffic to make a turn. Go around the block!

One of the reasons I decided on this TOTD was traffic laws have been a big topic of discussion this week in my family since I went to traffic school last Saturday.

We got to talking about the 2-way left turn lane and what it was really designed to do. Many folks use it to turn left onto major streets. The problem is they continue to move in that lane as they try to merge which is technically illegal (in Arizona anyway).

Some members of my family believes that lane was designed for their personal passing lane apparently. :rolleyes:

LibraryLady
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Hot today and I hope no rain. My swimming (therapeutic and FUN) has been stormed out a lot lately.

TOTD: farmer's turns (I used to call them little old lady turns until I became one). Two lane road, truck gives turn signal, slows to a crawl and FINALLY turns. Drives me nuts.

jendf
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Hot today and I hope no rain. My swimming (therapeutic and FUN) has been stormed out a lot lately.

TOTD: farmer's turns (I used to call them little old lady turns until I became one). Two lane road, truck gives turn signal, slows to a crawl and FINALLY turns. Drives me nuts.

I must be a slow turner because more often than not, I have someone right on my bumper as I'm turning into a shopping center. It's almost like the driver behind me would like to push me in because I'm not going fast enough for him/her.

DarkScribe
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
The valley had its first big monsoon storm of the season last night. It was glorious. In my part of town, we got a little over an inch of rain in the span of 40 minutes. Some parts of the city got 2.5 inches.

It's extremely muggy out this morning. I just put my hair in a ponytail because I didn't even want to try and negotiate with the humidity today.

TOTD: We have a law in Phoenix called The Stupid Motorists Law, which requires any moron who drives through a flooded area and gets stuck and has to be rescued to pay for emergency services instead of the taxpayer. There were a few people who got cited for that last night. :D

When you are out on the road, what is your biggest pet peeve? Do you have an interesting driving story during a storm? Do tell!

TOTD: I hate people that do not use the turn signal before making a turn...And then they brake hard to make the turn causing the driver to brake hard. That's just asking to get rear-ended. That and probably the assholes who blast by you on the highway or interstate going 100 mph.

LibraryLady
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
It's almost like the driver behind me would like to push me in because I'm not going fast enough for him/her.

That would be me!

jendf
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
TOTD: I hate people that do not use the turn signal before making a turn...And then they brake hard to make the turn causing the driver to brake hard. That's just asking to get rear-ended. That and probably the assholes who blast by you on the highway or interstate going 100 mph.

The drivers who don't use their signals for anything bug me. Turning, changing lanes, etc. Why did you buy that nice car and not have turn signals installed? :p

jendf
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
That would be me!

:D :p ....

biccat
07-11-2008, 11:17 AM
TOTD: Anywhere where the road drops by a lane and people wait unitl the last possible moment to merge into traffic. Because getting in front of one more person is really that important. :angry:

An especially heinous version of this is the light to the onramp near work. There are two left turn lanes, but the onramp narrows from 2 lanes to 1 halfway up. The leftmost turn lane stays, the other one has to merge. Every day there's a new jackass that uses the second left turn lane to try to get ahead of the line of 5-10 cars.

I probably could just shorten this to "people who don't realize you yield the right of way while merging."

asdf2231
07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
TOTD

The "Midwest Special"

You are tooling along doing 75 in the fast lane with 80 miles of open highway behind you. As you approach two cars in the slow lane, one of them veers out in front of you going 10 miles slower than you when you get within 50 feet of passing them.

Then putzes along in front of you.

Pisses me off every time.

Junebug68
07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
TOTD: We have a 3 lane highway that I drive on all the time and my biggest pet peeve is people who drive slowly (even below the speed limit) in the middle lane when there's no reason they can't move over to the right. I end up passing them on the right all the time and it just makes me furious!

DarkScribe
07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
TOTD: We have a 3 lane highway that I drive on all the time and my biggest pet peeve is people who drive slowly (even below the speed limit) in the middle lane when there's no reason they can't move over to the right. I end up passing them on the right all the time and it just makes me furious!

True. Most don't even know what "road etiquette" or the rules of the road are...

biccat
07-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I've been sticking to the speed limit lately (60 mph), and traffic in the left lane moves at a steady 70-75 mph. So when I'm coming up to a busy onramp, or I see trucks ahead, I tend to move to the middle lane (3 lane highway), so that I won't have to slow way down when the traffic hits. Some jerk always decides that he has to go faster than everyone else (about 80 mph) and tries to pass on the right.

Of course, he can't make it, so he slows down to 50, then tries to merge into the center lane, forcing them to slow down, and some go to the left lane when the brakelights flash, slowing them down as well.

I think it was said best on Fox & Friends the other day, speed isn't the issue on highways. If everyone was going the same speed, we wouldn't have half the traffic problems. But when old ladies are going 50 and jerks in SUVs are going 80, problems arise.

ConJinx
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm a professional truck driver: TOTD I hate all drivers. I any of you have been to Florida you know we get serious toad choker rain storms here. I always slow to a safe speed, hit my 4 ways and cruise the middle lane on the Interstate. I watched as the Dale Jr. fly by me in the hammer lane in a brand new Mercedes. Couple miles up the road he had managed to put that beautiful ride upside down in the shrubs. I laughed so hard I forgot I was supposed to stop and render aid.

DarkScribe
07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm a professional truck driver: TOTD I hate all drivers. I any of you have been to Florida you know we get serious toad choker rain storms here. I always slow to a safe speed, hit my 4 ways and cruise the middle lane on the Interstate. I watched as the Dale Jr. fly by me in the hammer lane in a brand new Mercedes. Couple miles up the road he had managed to put that beautiful ride upside down in the shrubs. I laughed so hard I forgot I was supposed to stop and render aid.

Yeah, and we know how those idiotic I-4 drivers are...:cool:

ConJinx
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
That particular incident happened on N-75 outside Sarasota, but yeah those folks on I-4 always seem to find a way to roll over even on a bright sun shiny day.

movie buff
07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
TOTD: Drivers who cut me off without using turn signals. I always give drivers who do that to me a good honk.

jendf
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
TOTD: Drivers who cut me off without using turn signals. I always give drivers who do that to me a good honk.

Unless I'm in immediate danger, I tend to skip the honking because I might get shot.

LibraryLady
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm a professional truck driver.

There was a time when professional truckers were the best on the road. Lately, I see horrifically dangerous driving. I am one of those PITB people who calls the 800 number with descriptions and reports of bad driving.

I'm sure I have never called on you!

SaintLouieWoman
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
The drivers who don't use their signals for anything bug me. Turning, changing lanes, etc. Why did you buy that nice car and not have turn signals installed? :p
That's my biggest complaint.

What frightens me the most is driving on Int. 44. Ever since they closed Int 64 for 2 years for reconstruction, they've crammed most of the traffic to the other E/W interstate, 44. They made another lane the cheapie way by doing new striping. Now instead of 4 decently sized lanes each way, there are 5 skinny lanes with large trucks whizzing by. :eek: