PDA

View Full Version : 5 People confirmed dead in Pittsburg fitness center shooting

stsinner
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
COLLIER TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- Five people are confirmed dead -- including the gunman -- after a shooting at the LA Fitness gym in Collier Township, emergency officials told WTAE Channel 4 Action News. Witnesses described seeing people covered in blood in a shooting that may have involved more than one location.

Link (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/20283352/detail.html)

NJCardFan
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
And the libs want to take guns away from us. Small wonder why these asshole shot up a fitness center and not a biker bar.

PoliCon
08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
My one friend just told me he was in that gym less than an hour before this happened. :(

Elspeth
08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
He was targeting women specifically:

Several witnesses told a WTAE Channel 4 Action News crew first at the scene that a man unrecognized by the gym's staff turned off lights and shot people in a Latin dance class in the aerobics center at the time of the shooting.

"He did not say anything. He walked right to the room where the shootings occurred as if he knew exactly where he was going and pulled the guns out and started shooting," Moffatt said.

Every witness to whom WTAE Channel 4's Jon Greiner spoke said they didn't realize what they were hearing was gunfire.

"The lights were off and I could see flashes in the dark," said Jared Frederick, a witness.

A woman in the class at the time of the shooting, identified as Nicole, told WTAE Channel 4 Action News that the class had started about 10 minutes before the gunfire. She said about 30 people -- all women -- were in the class when "a middle-aged white male walked into the class. He had a big gym bag."

"He looked out of place in a class full of women," according to the witness, who said the man put his bag down, turned the lights off and opened fire. "It was horrible. He was 20 feet from me. He got off a lot of shots."

If this man had targeted a room full of black men, this would be a hate crime. As it is, it's just a "tragedy".

linda22003
08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
My one friend just told me he was in that gym less than an hour before this happened. :(

Poli, since I only visit occasionally, I don't know where Bridgeville is (which is where I saw this happened). I do know, however, that Pittsburg is in Kansas, and I believe this happened in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, despite the headline on the original post.
Why am I guessing this was a bad divorce situation and the husband took out whoever he could?

linda22003
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
"at least two people were pronounced dead at St. Clair Hospital...."

That's the hospital where my husband and his brother were born, and where their parents died.

Lars1701a
08-05-2009, 09:05 AM

You have friends? hard to believe.:confused:

Sonnabend
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Funny, people say the same thing about you :D

Phillygirl
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Poli, since I only visit occasionally, I don't know where Bridgeville is (which is where I saw this happened). I do know, however, that Pittsburg is in Kansas, and I believe this happened in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, despite the headline on the original post.
Why am I guessing this was a bad divorce situation and the husband took out whoever he could?

I was thinking it was some kind of domestic situation as well.

linda22003
08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I was thinking it was some kind of domestic situation as well.

They make guys nuts. :rolleyes:

stsinner
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
What's scary is that they said he shut off the lights and started firing.. That would be terrifying!!

Phillygirl
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
They make guys nuts. :rolleyes:

In the "all about me" category...what drives me nuts is do you know how much harder it will be for me to get a protection from abuse order request denied now, if that is the case? We had a woman killed about 3 weeks ago, so that will mean a good 2 months of every request being granted, despite how frivolous it may be. This will simply add on to that.

Gingersnap
08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
In the "all about me" category...what drives me nuts is do you know how much harder it will be for me to get a protection from abuse order request denied now, if that is the case? We had a woman killed about 3 weeks ago, so that will mean a good 2 months of every request being granted, despite how frivolous it may be. This will simply add on to that.

What good are those stupid protection orders anyway? They're just a paperwork exercise that adds time to the guy's sentence if he does something.

Reading about this makes me glad that I avoid the aerobics area at the gym.

linda22003
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Think how glad I am to avoid the GYM, period!

Gingersnap
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Now they're saying the guy kept an online diary and he hadn't had sex since 1990. :eek:

Phillygirl
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
What good are those stupid protection orders anyway? They're just a paperwork exercise that adds time to the guy's sentence if he does something.

They are not really any good for those truly homicidal. They are good for the general abuse cases. Unfortunately, here, the protection from abuse statute is one of the most abused laws we have. It's the quick ticket to possession of the house and kids without going through the normal channels.

Adam Wood
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
If only there had been a law forbidding someone from going into a gym and shooting the place to smithereens, this could have been prevented.

Clearly, this calls for immediate legislation.

Lars1701a
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Funny, people say the same thing about you :D

witty comeback :rolleyes:

stsinner
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
If only there had been a law forbidding someone from going into a gym and shooting the place to smithereens, this could have been prevented.

It's the only answer.

PoliCon
08-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Bridgeville is south of Pittsburgh on I79 about half way between cannonsburg and the pittsburgh exit on 79.

PoliCon
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
You have friends? hard to believe.:confused:

I have lots of friends - and unlike you, I don't have to pay mine :cool:

PoliCon
08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Now they're saying the guy kept an online diary and he hadn't had sex since 1990. :eek:

yup. He for sure had mental issues.

PoliCon
08-05-2009, 05:18 PM

true so true [/progressive idiocy]