PDA

View Full Version : Some Say Census Questionnaire Getting Too Personal

megimoo
08-05-2009, 10:31 AM
"Big Brother Wants To Know You Much,much Better !"

"And They are 'telling you ' to allow the ACORN crooks into your homes !"

American Community Survey is a questionnaire that was recently sent out by the federal government. Three million Americans were asked to complete the information.

The questionnaire is much more detailed than the regular census, leaving some North Texans wondering if 'Big Brother' is acting more like a nosey neighbor.http://2010.census.gov/2010census/pdf/2010ACSnotebook.pdf

The American Community Survey is sent to random households every year. The information updates the census, which is given every 10 years.

But some people say the yearly survey is getting too personal. A Richardson resident, who didn't want to be identified, just received the survey. She says it not only wants to know if she's been married, but how many times!

The questionnaire also wants answers about where she works, how much money she makes, and what time she leaves for work each day the hour and minute! "I thought it was intrusive. I don't have a high regard for the federal government collecting this information anyway," the woman told CBS 11 News. "You don't know what they're going to do with it."

Officials with the Census Bureau say the data is needed so the government will know where to build things like roads and schools.

"Why do they need to know this? They don't, in my opinion," the woman said, before further stating that she thinks the personal questions are un-American. "Do they really need to know if we have a mortgage and whether this house is free and clear? That's intrusive."

Don't think you can just chuck the survey or skip questions. The Census Bureau says they'll call, and call, and call, visit you or finally fine you. The government wants answers.

But the Richardson resident is hoping more people are offended by the questionnaire. "If enough people are outraged then somebody will rethink this and decide it really is too intrusive," she said.

http://cbs11tv.com/local/American.Community.Survey.2.1113528.html

jediab
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
By law what questions do you legally have to answer on these? Specific questions only or the whole thing?

linda22003
08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
How many people live in the residence. I'm pretty sure that's it.

BadCat
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
By law what questions do you legally have to answer on these? Specific questions only or the whole thing?

They will tell you that by law you are required to answer the questions.

I intend on answering only one...number of people in household.

megimoo
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I suppose if they really get pushy and demand proof of the truth of your answers the census takers would have to bring an armed guard with them !

I would recommend that you have a witness and a Constitutional Lawyer on hand while video recording the whole session .

The way these White House critters have operated so far they will have the Black Panthers with batons and ACORN traveling as a team and casing your house and propriety for a break in after they are done with the census .

linda22003
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
If you answer the initial form, Megi, there's no reason for them to visit your house.

BadCat
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
If you answer the initial form, Megi, there's no reason for them to visit your house.

Last census, I got one of the "big" forms. I put it on a table, intending to look at it "later". When I came home a kitten had completely destroyed it.

So, I never filled it in, never sent it back. Never heard from anyone about it.

linda22003
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Last census, I got one of the "big" forms. I put it on a table, intending to look at it "later". When I came home a kitten had completely destroyed it.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-homework-eating-cat.jpg

FlaGator
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM

So, I never filled it in, never sent it back. Never heard from anyone about it.

I filled mine out. I was good and drunk at the time...

CorwinK
08-05-2009, 07:58 PM

ill be answering the number of people in the household. They better bring a copy of what law states that i need to fill in more. As far as my job and such goes, im military...if the government doesn't know just about everything about me by now they don't need to know