PDA

View Full Version : So it seems the people who could afford to drive a car worth under $5000...

Bill inGA
08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6229136

Someone is not in line, a stone pizza in their future.

RB TexLa (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-05-09 08:31 PM
Original message
So it seems the people who could afford to drive a car worth under $5000 are now going to
have to pay to stimulate the economy for the next 48 to 60 months?

When Bush told everyone to go out and spend money after September 11, DU pretty much laughed at it and rightfully said it was not wise to spend money during such uncertain times. Now, once again with economic uncertain times, DU is now actually cheering the government encouraging and bribing the poor to not only spend money but assume new debt while at the same time giving car dealers a nice "welfare" check for every car and debt sold to the poor.

Teetop
08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Bill, this is amazing...

Today, I had this very conversation with a truck-driver.

We discussed this very subject and came up with the same conclusion.

The tax payers getting screwed.:eek:

Just like the mortgage crisis...

Same "players" and all.

hoplophobe
08-10-2009, 10:17 AM
eleny Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Aug-05-09 08:35 PM
Response to Original message
6. Perhaps some people wanted to buy new vehicle but coudn't quite qualify

And this new program helps them over the loan qualifying hump.

Your thoughts and mine are all speculation, of course. But something has people flocking to the dealerships around here.
Didn't that type of thinking lead to the mortgage crisis? People getting loans they could not afford.:confused:

AmPat
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
The people who are needing the money to spend our way out of debt areusing money borrowed from the very same broke people. What's so confusing to you people? The DUmboRATS have explained this ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
08-11-2009, 03:10 PM
When the money for clunkers runs out, the auto companies auto sales will take a steep dive. So, in the short run, this will boost the economy but in the long run it will have the opposite effect.

noonwitch
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
When the money for clunkers runs out, the auto companies auto sales will take a steep dive. So, in the short run, this will boost the economy but in the long run it will have the opposite effect.

I think that Ford will benefit in the long run from this program, because it gives people an incentive to buy well-made and fuel efficient cars from a relatively stable american company. I think the program is just throwing money at GM and Chrysler, though.

Teetop
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I think that Ford will benefit in the long run from this program, because it gives people an incentive to buy well-made and fuel efficient cars from a relatively stable american company. I think the program is just throwing money at GM and Chrysler, though.

Agreed, even die hard Ford and Chrystler owners have told me, they would buy Fords from now on.

Who can trust a car company with majority ownership by unions? I won't.

AmPat
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Sounds about right. The interesting questions to me are:
1. What effect this will have on the price of used cars and the used car industry?
2. What do we do if these new car buyers under this program duplicate the actions of the people that bought houses they couldn't afford?:confused:

lacarnut
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
The Obama administration is such a bunch of phonies; they are picking winners and losers. GM is getting a hand out but Ford is not.

BadCat
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Ford can maybe factor this in to their sales projections...

IF it is manufactured by American Union workers, I ain't buying it.

Look for the Union label.

If it has one, don't buy it.