PDA

View Full Version : Twitter, Facebook, and LiveJournal Down at the Same Time!

PoliCon
08-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Written by Sarah Perez / August 6, 2009 7:32 AM / 13 Comments
Prior Post

For those of you addicted to social networking, Thursday morning is starting out pretty rough. The two biggest sites for updating your status - Twitter and Facebook - are both experiencing issues this morning. Twitter's outage started around 9 AM EST today and while Facebook is up (somewhat), posting updates and wall comments is currently very flaky. And you can't even go vent about how this makes you feel over on your LiveJournal blog because - guess what? - it's down too.

Update: Twitter says they're fighting off a DDOS attack right now but the site is back up.

According to the Twitter status blog, a posting around 10 AM EST simply reads: "Site is down. We are determining the cause and will provide an update shortly." However, Twitter Search appears to be functional and is somehow pulling in recent tweets, so obviously Twitter has not completely "failwhaled" for everyone.

To make matters worse, Facebook is also experiencing issues this morning as many rebuffed Twitter users are now finding out when they go to post their status on the social networking site instead. The Facebook outage appears to be intermittent, though, and isn't affecting everyone. If you notice anything at all, it may be only that posting status updates and comments display an error message. But simply clicking the post button again may be able to force them through (at least that was my experience.) The site also loads slowly at times and is displaying occasional "transport" errors.

FROM (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/twitter_facebook_and_livejournal_down_at_the_same. php)

PoliCon
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Interesting since twitter and facebook are key ways to disseminate information regarding the mess that is the current government.

BadCat
08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
That's a shame.

Now Marko and his wife won't be able to tweet about what hungry vegans they are.

enslaved1
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Interesting since twitter and facebook are key ways to disseminate information regarding the mess that is the current government.

Considering DDOS is a pretty weak attack, and usually only slows a site down for a while, and considering our current administration's lack of common sense in trying to attack it's enemies, that is a very interesting observation.

If they really wanted to knock out these sources, viruses and rumors of viruses stealing passwords, vital info and destroying computers would be much more effective at scaring people off the sites. Yes I know there are viruses spreading though Facebook and there are phishing links/datastealing site links that come up on Twitter, but come on, you really think with all the government resources behind him, O and his minions couldn't do better than a bot net?

Just sayin'. :D

linda22003
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
No issues with Facebook at the moment. Everything's fine.

PoliCon
08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Considering DDOS is a pretty weak attack, and usually only slows a site down for a while, and considering our current administration's lack of common sense in trying to attack it's enemies, that is a very interesting observation.

If they really wanted to knock out these sources, viruses and rumors of viruses stealing passwords, vital info and destroying computers would be much more effective at scaring people off the sites. Yes I know there are viruses spreading though Facebook and there are phishing links/datastealing site links that come up on Twitter, but come on, you really think with all the government resources behind him, O and his minions couldn't do better than a bot net?

Just sayin'. :D

We're talking about the same people who thought Obama a good candidate . . . so I'm not ready to credit them with being able to come up with better, no.

PoliCon
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
No issues with Facebook at the moment. Everything's fine.

was running slow with lots of errors this morning - seems to be better now. I need my Mafia wars fix :cool:

Constitutionally Speaking
08-06-2009, 02:43 PM
was running slow with lots of errors this morning - seems to be better now. I need my Mafia wars fix :cool:

Me too!!

PoliCon
08-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Me too!! I'll be cresting level 300 today :cool: