PDA

View Full Version : My nephew has to pay 300.00 a month to eat while serving

LibraryLady
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
midnight (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-01-08 08:02 PM
Original message
My nephew has to pay 300.00 a month to eat while serving
our military. Why are we charging our soldiers to eat? He and his buddies sent this video to my sister, his mom. He is the one in the video who is asked what he thinks, and he says "he hopes he doesn't die". 2/4 E Co 1st Plt Spyrig in Okinawa Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65_Lua7LU-E

barbtries (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-01-08 08:41 PM
Response to Original message
3. i want to hear the details about that,
but if it's true it can only be because feeding the troops has been privatized and those war profiteers are all about their paycheck.

Do these morons ever look anything up??

Basic Allowance for Subsistence
BAS is a continuation of the military tradition of providing room and board (or rations) as part of a servicemember's pay. Although BAS is meant to offset the cost your meals, it is important to note that BAS is not intended to cover the costs of meals for family members.

Since January 1, 2002 most enlisted members get full BAS, but they must pay for their own meals, even those provided by the government.*

Because BAS is intended to provide meals for the servicemember, the monthly rate is based on the price of food. Therefore, each year it is readjusted based upon the increase of the price of food as measured by the USDA food cost index.

NEW - 2008 BAS Rates:
Because service members are assigned to a variety of situations, some of which either mandate or prevent obtaining meals from a government facility, there are two types of enlisted BAS, each based on a differing unit circumstances:

Enlisted: $294.43 a month

If you have a chance, watch the Youtube. Those guys are having a blast. Are they coptor repelling?

ralph wiggum
06-02-2008, 12:53 AM
http://web.syr.edu/~rtharper/bullshit.jpg

Skygod
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Do these morons ever look anything up??

If you have a chance, watch the Youtube. Those guys are having a blast. Are they coptor repelling?[/SIZE]

No, they are not rapelling. Rapelling involves sliding down a fixed rope using a caribeener and brake from the helo to the ground. What was showed there is a form of extraction, a way to get out of a difficult area by means of being attached to the rope in a fixed manner then the rope is lifted off the ground by the helo.

STABO Extraction is the current name for the manouver, IIRC. Did it a few times when I was in. Yes it is very fun.

;)

On EDIT: Back when I was in, people would almost kill to get on seperate rations. Its is a VERY flexible option for the solider versus having a meal card.

How this works is the soldier is put on seperate rations. They are paid for their food monthly. Then they have to pay for meals with that money. The other option is a meal card that is good for meals at .mil dining facilities. Meal cards suck because you have to eat at .mil places ALL the time. When you are on rations, you can eat wherever you want, you just have to pay for it. A much more flexible solution.

Gern
06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
On EDIT: Back when I was in, people would almost kill to get on seperate rations. Its is a VERY flexible option for the solider versus having a meal card.

Eggzackly.

You actually make a lot of extra scratch on the side when you get seperate rats. The Army pays you x number of dollars a day and you can actually eat on your own for much cheaper.

Only in DUmmie land, manufactured outrage is the norm, so the clueless dolts get all worked up about it.

Odysseus
06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Eggzackly.

You actually make a lot of extra scratch on the side when you get seperate rats. The Army pays you x number of dollars a day and you can actually eat on your own for much cheaper.

Only in DUmmie land, manufactured outrage is the norm, so the clueless dolts get all worked up about it.

It comes from a complete lack of knowledge of the military. BAS generally lowballs the meals, but TDY goes the other way with a vengeance.

Zeus
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
It comes from a complete lack of knowledge of the military. BAS generally lowballs the meals, but TDY goes the other way with a vengeance.

Spent the lions share of my 8 yrs on TDY status. Never take advance pay & the rest is gravy. :)

Zafod
06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I always had extra money at the end of the month that I considered fun money.