PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Editor: Comments Please!

aerojarod
08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
It's waaaaaay too long for a normal LTE, but I'd appreciate some constructive criticism if anyone cares to oblige...

Inspired by Senator Obama's audacity of hope, Democrat-run Washington is now displaying a disgusting arrogance of power in this Healthcare debate. Where the proper role of Government is to ensure fair competition in the marketplace, this President and his Congress seem intent on running off the other merchants and declaring themselves the only fruit stand in town. One must stretch the Constitution's general welfare clause to dangerously thin strands to find the authority for Congress to make such legislation.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
-10th Amendment to the US Constitution

Our brilliant Forefathers gave us a country where the rights, responsibilities, individual destiny, and power lay in the hands of The People. They knew first hand the dangers of conceding these things to a power far removed from the individual. They had seen how the well-meaning hands of centralized power, whether they be King or Congress, eventually become soiled with the stains of corruption, inefficiency, and a lack of compassion.

And now, turning a blind eye to the lessons of history, this Congress declares that it will make new law; spoken in the rhetoric of benevolence but written in the invisible ink of tyranny, it threatens the most intimate of individual rights- that of life itself, by taking healthcare choice away from The People and entrusting it to the cold hands of government bureaucracy. The naivety, the narcissism to think that they can do it better, where similar healthcare systems are now beginning to show the signs of failure in even our most akin nations!

Though history has shown us to be a strong nation, the enemies we've had to defeat thus far have been outside our borders. We must not be so prideful as to think we are immune to the same threats of human nature from within that have cost other nations so much. Yes, costs are too high and changes are needed within our current healthcare system. Republicans and Democrats can work together to make the changes we need, but let us not make such fundamental changes that we throw out our individual liberties along with the bath water.

PALEOCON
08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
if your paper has a messageboard send it there. You will get more traffic from folks who have an interest and ability to understand.

BadCat
08-11-2009, 07:00 PM
if your paper has a messageboard send it there. You will get more traffic from folks who have an interest and ability to understand.

Yeah, like that's working out so well for you.

Aero, it's a good letter. I don't like the word "akin" near the end of the fourth paragraph, sounds odd there.

aerojarod
08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah, like that's working out so well for you.

Aero, it's a good letter. I don't like the word "akin" near the end of the fourth paragraph, sounds odd there.

Thanks! Yeah... need to get out my thesaurus.

PoliCon
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
It's waaaaaay too long for a normal LTE, but I'd appreciate some constructive criticism if anyone cares to oblige...

The last sentence of the first paragraph is going to go over the heads of a lot of people. Remember - when writing for the print media - assume your audience reads on a 6th grade level.

I also agree with Badcat on the akin . . . . awkward.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Don't change ANYTHING (except akin).

AmPat
08-12-2009, 03:23 PM

And now, turning a blind eye to the lessons of history, this Congress declares that it will make new law; spoken in the rhetoric of benevolence but written in the invisible ink of tyranny, it threatens the most intimate of individual rights- that of life itself, by taking healthcare choice away from The People and entrusting it to the cold hands of government bureaucracy.

Very nicely worded. :D

aerojarod
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Very nicely worded. :D

When you work in an engineering setting all day, it's nice to toss out some flowery language in the off-hours.

:p