PDA

View Full Version : Food Firms Warn of Sugar Shortage

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
BY SCOTT KILMAN, CAROLYN CUI AND ILAN BRAT

Some of America's biggest food companies say the U.S. could "virtually run out of sugar" if the Obama administration doesn't ease import restrictions amid soaring prices for the key commodity.

In a letter to Agriculture Secretary Thomas Vilsack, the big brands -- including Kraft Foods Inc., General Mills Inc., Hershey Co. and Mars Inc. -- bluntly raised the prospect of a severe shortage of sugar used in chocolate bars, breakfast cereal, cookies, chewing gum and thousands of other products.

The companies threatened to jack up consumer prices and lay off workers if the Agriculture Department doesn't allow them to import ...

FROM (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125011957488227095.html)

Jumpy
08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
It's a shame that folks will lose jobs over this, but we really don't need sugar in our diets.

BadCat
08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
It's a shame that folks will lose jobs over this, but we really don't need sugar in our diets.

Speak for yourself.

FlaGator
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
And just when I was planning to get type 2 diabetes. :mad:

patriot45
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Uh-oh, thats the main ingredient for Kool-Aid!! :D

Rebel Yell
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Fuck the health care!!!!!!! How about some sugar reform.

stsinner
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I think I read somewhere that Obama has outlawed sugar because some people get fat from it. Remember-he knows best.

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Imagine - if we could actually get sugar - they would not be using so much high fructose corn syrup.

lacarnut
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
BY SCOTT KILMAN, CAROLYN CUI AND ILAN BRAT

Some of America's biggest food companies say the U.S. could "virtually run out of sugar" if the Obama administration doesn't ease import restrictions amid soaring prices for the key commodity.

In a letter to Agriculture Secretary Thomas Vilsack, the big brands -- including Kraft Foods Inc., General Mills Inc., Hershey Co. and Mars Inc. -- bluntly raised the prospect of a severe shortage of sugar used in chocolate bars, breakfast cereal, cookies, chewing gum and thousands of other products.

The companies threatened to jack up consumer prices and lay off workers if the Agriculture Department doesn't allow them to import ...

FROM (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125011957488227095.html)

Protectionism is on it's way folks. The idiot in the WH is going to cause trade/tariff wars.

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Protectionism is on it's way folks. The idiot in the WH is going to cause trade/tariff wars.

Sugar tariffs have been in effect for a very long time.

http://www.fff.org/freedom/0498d.asp

BadCat
08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Sugar tariffs have been in effect for a very long time.

http://www.fff.org/freedom/0498d.asp

Of course they have.
The government needs to protect the high fructose corn syrup industry.

Rebel Yell
08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Imagine - if we could actually get sugar - they would not be using so much high fructose corn syrup.

OMG. Have you had the Pepsi Throwback. They are made with real sugar instead of corn syrup. Brings back good times. Mt. Dew Throwback makes me wonder why I ever started drinking MD. They are awful.

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
OMG. Have you had the Pepsi Throwback. They are made with real sugar instead of corn syrup. Brings back good times. Mt. Dew Throwback makes me wonder why I ever started drinking MD. They are awful.

I've gone out of my way to avoid HFCS in my diet and I have noticed a real change in my mood, in my consumption habits and all. If I have a drink with HFCS in it - it just makes me want more. :mad:

Lars1701a
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM

I bought like 20 12 can cases of the throwback :)

I think it tastes a lot better.

Rebel Yell
08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I bought like 20 12 can cases of the throwback :)

I think it tastes a lot better.

If we could just get Coke to do the same. And bring back glass bottles.

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 04:58 PM

you can still get the glass bottles. I see them all the time.

Rebel Yell
08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
you can still get the glass bottles. I see them all the time.

But not with the old recipe. Not near as syrupy as today.

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
But not with the old recipe. Not near as syrupy as today.

It's the HFCS I tell you.

BadCat
08-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Go to a place that sells "Kosher" food.

They usually have "Kosher Coca Cola", and it's made with real sugar in a glass bottle.

Hard to find and expensive, but so much better.

Rockntractor
08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll drink any of it. The government is going to kill us all in camps anyway! why stay healthy.