PDA

View Full Version : 'District 9' will blow your mind

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
This week’s Entertainment Weekly names District 9, a sci-fi thriller with no big stars and a small budget, the must-see movie of the summer. While those who missed last month’s Comic-Con probably have yet to hear of it, by next week it may be all moviegoers are talking about.

Made for only $30 million by a 29-year-old South African-born director, Neill Blomkamp, the action-packed movie is tinged with a surprising moral intelligence — it’s also an allegory about apartheid — and may become the most unlikely sci-fi blockbuster of the season. Says District 9’s single A-list name, producer Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings), “In an industry that’s looking to make movies out of every obscure TV show, District 9 is unlike anything you’ve ever seen.”

CONTINUED (http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/08/06/this-weeks-cover-d9/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA

I can't wait to see this!! :)

Gingersnap
08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Is this one of those aliens=good, human beings=evil movies? If the aliens aren't at least semi-evil, I don't know that I want to see it.

BadCat
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Is this one of those aliens=good, human beings=evil movies? If the aliens aren't at least semi-evil, I don't know that I want to see it.

They've been advertising it here.

The aliens look quite evil.

Full-Auto
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm taking off work early tomorrow to see it. I can't wait, it looks amazing.

SarasotaRepub
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like a winner! :D

BSR
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM

I dont trust aliens.

When they finally show up, I'm gonna punch one in the face like Will Smith did in Independence Day and say "Welcome to Earf"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzihnum6Xdo

PoliCon
08-13-2009, 08:50 PM

I think it's more of an evil aliens vs evil corporation movie . . .

hazlnut
08-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Outstanding film. I highly recommend it to any sci-fans or filmgoers who like a really smart and interesting sci-fi movie. The underlying themes extend beyond apartheid to any displaced population or refugees and the moral issues and situations that ensue. District 9 is thought-provoking film experience with serious themes as well as great action and the right amount of humor.

The filmmakers created such a realistic world within our present-day world--combining amazing set design and a stylistic documentary-style POV that made you feel at times that you were watching a news piece and not a fictional film. They cut seamlessly from hand-held camera to security camera to news camera, and, as the alien story started to unfold, they used a more standard film story POV.

The filmmakers really know their science fiction, weaving many character and plot elements from other classic sci-fi films into a completely new and very relevant story.

The main character - a bookish everyman, a bureaucrat given the task of overseeing the eviction of the aliens to new camp further away from Johannesburg.

Classic plot device - an accident thrusts the main character into a dark human conspiracy.

One of the protagonists - the private mercenary solider who enjoys his job a bit too much. His conflict with the anti-hero really boils down to jock vs. nerd - brawn vs. brains. Again, classic sci-fi stuff.

The aliens are highly advance technologically, yet very primitive in other ways. I noticed references to Native Americans with their concept of property ownership, their homes. The colony is almost an anarchy with no chain of command or real leaders.

There were so many really interesting details about the aliens having an organic connection to their technology. This very well-drawn world of the aliens and the camp gave the film more depth than I've seen in a science fiction effort in a long time. I never felt like I was watching something filmed on a set--it was so gritty and imperfect.

In the early part of the film there is a lot of humor with the main character -- he really doesn't understand what he's doing and who he's working for, then, as his world is turned upside down, we are sympathetic to this less than perfect person, hoping he'll make the right decision. Great character development on the part of the writers.

The action in the later part of the films is excellent. The violence is sloppy and imperfect--things get messy and don't always go as planned. The aliens have some of the coolest weapons ever.

I would give District 9 a 9++, and add it to my short list of 2009 summer movies I would see again:
1) District 9
2) The Hangover
3) Up

Lars1701a
08-14-2009, 11:56 PM
I saw it today, I give it a solid B.

I wish they wouldn't have used the South African motif but meh.

Full-Auto
08-15-2009, 01:01 AM
I saw it today, I give it a solid B.

I wish they wouldn't have used the South African motif but meh.
That's because it was made by an Afrikaner I believe.

I give it an A given the recent rash of garbage produced by Hollywood. Since this isn't a Hollywood flick, that's probably why it rocked.

Well done and for a budget of only $30m the special effects and camera work were top notch.

I can't say I care for the ending... and the obvious setup for District 10 the sequel. But overall it's the best movie I've seen this year.

Zathras
08-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Outstanding film. I highly recommend it to any sci-fans or filmgoers who like a really smart and interesting sci-fi movie. The underlying themes extend beyond apartheid to any displaced population or refugees and the moral issues and situations that ensue. District 9 is thought-provoking film experience with serious themes as well as great action and the right amount of humor.

The filmmakers created such a realistic world within our present-day world--combining amazing set design and a stylistic documentary-style POV that made you feel at times that you were watching a news piece and not a fictional film. They cut seamlessly from hand-held camera to security camera to news camera, and, as the alien story started to unfold, they used a more standard film story POV.

The filmmakers really know their science fiction, weaving many character and plot elements from other classic sci-fi films into a completely new and very relevant story.

The main character - a bookish everyman, a bureaucrat given the task of overseeing the eviction of the aliens to new camp further away from Johannesburg.

Classic plot device - an accident thrusts the main character into a dark human conspiracy.

One of the protagonists - the private mercenary solider who enjoys his job a bit too much. His conflict with the anti-hero really boils down to jock vs. nerd - brawn vs. brains. Again, classic sci-fi stuff.

The aliens are highly advance technologically, yet very primitive in other ways. I noticed references to Native Americans with their concept of property ownership, their homes. The colony is almost an anarchy with no chain of command or real leaders.

There were so many really interesting details about the aliens having an organic connection to their technology. This very well-drawn world of the aliens and the camp gave the film more depth than I've seen in a science fiction effort in a long time. I never felt like I was watching something filmed on a set--it was so gritty and imperfect.

In the early part of the film there is a lot of humor with the main character -- he really doesn't understand what he's doing and who he's working for, then, as his world is turned upside down, we are sympathetic to this less than perfect person, hoping he'll make the right decision. Great character development on the part of the writers.

The action in the later part of the films is excellent. The violence is sloppy and imperfect--things get messy and don't always go as planned. The aliens have some of the coolest weapons ever.

I would give District 9 a 9++, and add it to my short list of 2009 summer movies I would see again:
1) District 9
2) The Hangover
3) Up

Pretty much agree with you on this....plus when I saw the battlesuit in action, the Warhammer 40k player in me said "Hey, they got a Tau battlesuit!".

Lars1701a
08-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Pretty much agree with you on this....plus when I saw the battlesuit in action, the Warhammer 40k player in me said "Hey, they got a Tau battlesuit!".

LOL ya they stole that idea.

PALEOCON
08-15-2009, 07:44 PM
an absolute waste of $7, utterly without a plot

Shannon
08-15-2009, 08:29 PM

I'll have to go see it now.

BadCat
08-15-2009, 08:36 PM

They didn't kill enough cops in the movie for your taste?

Zathras
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM

Judging by your postings here I could understand why this movie would be well beyond your limited intelect for you to understand.

Lars1701a
08-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Listen satanica the movie had a very well thought out plot, its sad a tool such as yourself didnt pick it up.

PALEOCON
08-16-2009, 08:15 AM
I'll have to go see it now.

Good, I like the idea of wasting your time and money

PALEOCON
08-16-2009, 08:17 AM
.......the movie had a very well thought out plot, ..............

Perhaps in the mind of a geeky 17 year old

Zathras
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Perhaps in the mind of a geeky 17 year old

Or anyone esle who isn't an idiot like you Paleoconman. Then again, your idea of good sci fi is probably "Battlefield Earth", so I think we can disregard your opinion of movies....or anything else for that matter.

Zathras
08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Good, I like the idea of wasting your time and money

Yeah, we can see that with your support for anything liberal...taking money from the people to give it to other people by force is your kind of thing.