PDA

View Full Version : Tony Snow has Died

LibraryLady
07-12-2008, 07:14 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Fox News reports that former Bush spokesman Tony Snow has died.

Fox News is reporting that conservative commentator and former White House press secretary Tony Snow has died of cancer.

Snow, 53, was a broadcaster for Fox News Channel and Fox News Radio when he replaced Scott McClellan as President Bush's press secretary in May 2006.

Snow served just 17 months as press secretary, a tenure interrupted by his second bout with cancer. He resigned as Bush's chief spokesman six months later, in September 2007, citing a need to earn more money. He then joined CNN as a commentator.

Snow brought partisan zeal and the skills of a seasoned performer to the task of explaining and defending the president's policies. He was popular at the White House and beyond for cheerfully sparring with reporters.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5361529

Phillygirl
07-12-2008, 07:16 AM
I was just coming to post this. How sad.

LibraryLady
07-12-2008, 07:19 AM
I think I knew it was near but still, it is SO sad.

If you find an article before I do, please post it.

:(

Claret1995
07-12-2008, 07:19 AM
I had not seen him for a while an d wondered about him. I will miss him. God Bless Tony and his family

Schadenfreude
07-12-2008, 07:25 AM
This is really sad news. Rest in peace, Tony.

Phillygirl
07-12-2008, 07:26 AM
I think I knew it was near but still, it is SO sad.

If you find an article before I do, please post it.

:(

I had the same feeling...I hadn't realized his end was so near.

du freeper
07-12-2008, 07:50 AM
He was certainly a man of class. I enjoyed listening to his radio show and when he filled in for Rush. He will be missed.

Sonnabend
07-12-2008, 07:52 AM
"He was a man, take him for all in all...I shall not see his like again."

Bubba Dawg
07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
He was a good guy. Rest in Peace.

Shannon
07-12-2008, 08:57 AM
How sad.:(

biccat
07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
I admire his stamina. Despite all of his setbacks, he kept at his job and pursued excellence, rather than sitting back.

Rest in peace.

Constitutionally Speaking
07-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I never had the honor of meeting him, although we knew a lot of the same people from when he was in Michigan. Still, I felt like I knew him well. Both my wife and I teared up this morning when we heard of his passing.

SarasotaRepub
07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Terrible news. RIP Tony.

Gingersnap
07-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Poor guy! I had no idea he was so ill. :(

Troll
07-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I am sorry to hear this. 53 is way too young to go.

I think apart from being a Driver's Ed instructor, White House Press Secretary tops my list of "Jobs I Would Never Want."

Prayers for his family and friends.

Teatime
07-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Rest in peace, Tony.

AlmostThere
07-12-2008, 10:51 AM
From the day it began in 1996, I was a huge fan of Fox News Sunday. Over the years I've developed a fondness for some of the past and present crew. But when T.S. left FNS in 2003, I wrote FNS to ask why I'd lost my friend on Sunday morning.
No, I never met Tony Snow but I considered him a friend, nonetheless.

RIP Tony. You will be forever missed.

Kimberly
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Such sad news to hear this morning. Tony Snow was a big reason I started watching Fox News. And he made watching press conferences enjoyable. Rest in peace, Tony. Short though it was, he had a life well lived. :(

asdf2231
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
He was always one of my favorite news people. I used to tune in his show daily just because he had so much FUN doing what he did that it was contagious.

RIP Tony.

linda22003
07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
It was apparent that this was coming very soon, but it's still awful to hear. He was exactly two weeks older than I am, so it's nice to see people think it's "way too young" to go. :(

LibraryLady
07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
It was apparent that this was coming very soon, but it's still awful to hear. He was exactly two weeks older than I am, so it's nice to see people think it's "way too young" to go. :(

Odd, Tim Russert and I were born 6 weeks apart.

It was so sad today seeing the pictures of him aging so rapidly and becoming so gaunt.I had forgotten the old Tony.:(

Jumpy
07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
This is so sad. Tim Russert, and now Tony Snow. Both so young with families who still needed them. RIP.

Elspeth
07-12-2008, 04:18 PM
I had the same feeling...I hadn't realized his end was so near.

Kinda taken me by surprise too, but with cancer, I guess anything can happen. Requiem in pace.

Dyne
07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I just heard about this a second ago. Very sad :(

SaintLouieWoman
07-12-2008, 08:22 PM
He was a man who showed greyt compassion and was a good man. He was the definition of a conservative with class. May he rest in peace and the angels guide his way. He will be truly missed.

Eyelids
07-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Bush, Cheney, Snow and, hel,l every Republican in the United States:

I know I disagree with almost everything you stand for and our political ideologies are so far apart its ridiculous. I think the policies of the Bush Administration have been a colossal failure and I will celebrate the day he leaves office (even McCain is better than Bush). But, none of them deserve to die. Their policies may be misguided and disasterous but just because theyre screwed up doesnt mean they have earned the right to die miserably.

Also, its kind of funny that you guys go so crazy over this while people here openly speculate and hope for the assasination of Barack Obama.

Sonnabend
07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Bush, Cheney, Snow and, hel,l every Republican in the United States:

That's President Bush and Vice President Cheney to you

I know I disagree with almost everything you stand for and our political ideologies are so far apart its ridiculous.

Your ideologies? Absolutely.

You? Definitely

I think the policies of the Bush Administration have been a colossal failure and I will celebrate the day he leaves office (even McCain is better than Bush).

The colossal failure sees you in the mirror every morning.

But, none of them deserve to die. Their policies may be misguided and disasterous but just because theyre screwed up doesnt mean they have earned the right to die miserably.

Your fellow liberals seem to disagree. Go lecture them.

Also, its kind of funny that you guys go so crazy over this while people here openly speculate and hope for the assassination of Barack Obama.

Direct quotes, who and when. Prove it or retract it.

Now.

Elspeth
07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Also, its kind of funny that you guys go so crazy over this while people here openly speculate and hope for the assassination of Barack Obama.

Prove it or retract it.

Now.

This is the kind of crap that I and other Hillary supporters were accused of on DU. I was personally accused (by smiley_glad_hands) of wanting Obama dead simply because I supported Hillary. Amazing how throwing mud without a single shred of evidence is OK among Obama supporters.

marinejcksn
07-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Rip Mr. Snow.

Sonnabend
07-13-2008, 12:40 AM
This is the kind of crap that I and other Hillary supporters were accused of on DU. I was personally accused (by smiley_glad_hands) of wanting Obama dead simply because I supported Hillary.

Elspeth, the difference between you and Eyelids is 3 pounds of grey matter and a heart.

You have 'em, and he don't.

Amazing how throwing mud without a single shred of evidence is OK among Obama supporters.

Elspeth, this is CU. He either puts up, or shuts up. Or we do it for him. :D

Zathras
07-13-2008, 01:34 AM

Now.

Come on Sonna. You actually expect the gutless wonder to do this? Someone who's a lying waste of skin with no honor has no compunctions about posting blatant lies and not retracting them when proven wrong. I expect this from Eyelids because that's what he is, a dishonorable, lying waste of skin.

Eyelids
07-13-2008, 01:48 AM
That's President Bush and Vice President Cheney to you
WTF? This is some Der Fuhrer shit right here, I can call them whatever the hell I want to call them.

Your fellow liberals seem to disagree. Go lecture them.

Now.
I'm not going to dig, but you and I know people have alluded to Barack Obama being shot both on this CU and the older CU as a good thing. And sure these people are twats to be dancing on the grave of a fucking press secretary (seriously, thats like slamming the Union Carbide PR guys for Bhopal) but theres people on both sides who do this crap and they are about equal in number.

AlmostThere
07-13-2008, 01:54 AM
I think it's great having a place where folks of different political persuasions can intelligently discuss their views. As for me, I'd much rather talk to someone who is 180 out of phase then someone who just says, Right, ..Right,.. Absolutely.

I understand that I'm just a visitor here and have no say on the administration of this site. With that said, why hasn't that jerk been shown the door? Is he here as the token idiot? It's obvious that Tony Snow was a very popular person on this site, and Eyelashes had to use this thread to be an asshole.

Sorry, that jerk just pisses me off.

Sonnabend
07-13-2008, 02:59 AM
WTF? This is some Der Fuhrer shit right here, I can call them whatever the hell I want to call them.

Then go do it on DU. Try that schtick on them and see how long you last. DU is famous for wielding the tombstone...CU, by comparison, have been charity personified, especially where you are concerned.

You refer to the office , if not the man, with respect. Private server, your "rights" don't apply here. Other members get latitude with me. So far, you've deserved none.

You want respect from me? Earn it.

I'm not going to dig, but you and I know people have alluded to Barack Obama being shot both on this CU and the older CU as a good thing.

You are and you will.

I said prove it.

Now.

I want names, dates, thread links, direct quotes.

And sure these people are twats to be dancing on the grave of a fucking press secretary (seriously, thats like slamming the Union Carbide PR guys for Bhopal) but theres people on both sides who do this crap and they are about equal in number.

Yet when asked to prove this claim, you can't.

You're here on sufferance. Do you want another time out..this time a little longer? Say a year?

It can be easily arranged...so if I were you,. I'd get busy.

Eyelids
07-13-2008, 03:22 AM
You want respect from me?
This will disappoint you... but no I dont want your respect at all. And this wierd goderator tone you always take has finally worn on me.

I'm putting you on ignore... somehow I can sift through Zathras making the same post 130 times and megimoo !'s inability to type but you just push the perfect button. This will be my last post in response to you Sonna, you're not worth my time anymore.

edit- You cant put moderators on ignore here, so I'll just have to do it by willpower.

Sonnabend
07-13-2008, 03:52 AM
his will disappoint you... but no I dont want your respect at all. And this wierd goderator tone you always take has finally worn on me.

Awww...did widdle Eyewids get his feewings hurt???

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4861/wahmbulancefu2ep4.jpg

I'm putting you on ignore... somehow I can sift through Zathras making the same post 130 times and megimoo !'s inability to type but you just push the perfect button. This will be my last post in response to you Sonna, you're not worth my time anymore.

edit- You cant put moderators on ignore here, so I'll just have to do it by willpower.

Still waiting for the proof.

If you intend to accuse members of this board of the following

then it is justified that I say in response.

PROVE IT.

AlmostThere
07-13-2008, 04:14 AM
This will disappoint you... but no I dont want your respect at all.

I realize this post wasn't directed to me but if I may please comment.

Eyelashes, you have succeeded admirably. ADMIRABLY!

AmPat
07-13-2008, 09:05 AM
A class act and he will truly be missed. RIP Tony.:(

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
This will disappoint you... but no I dont want your respect at all. And this wierd goderator tone you always take has finally worn on me.

Sorry, dear, but you can't put an admin or moderator on ignore. I've tried ignoring you for a long time. I think if nothing else, you should learn not to do that grave dancing. And a bit of respect for the institution of the Presidency wouldn't hurt, either.

Play your little schtick in other threads, but don't think the Tony Snow respect thread is the place for your irrelevant comments.

SarasotaRepub
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Is he here as the token idiot? It's obvious that Tony Snow was a very popular person on this site, and Eyelashes had to use this thread to be an asshole.

Sorry, that jerk just pisses me off.

Heh,heh. :D Maybe.

Eyelids
07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
And a bit of respect for the institution of the Presidency wouldn't hurt, either.
Thats a crock, when Barack Obama is POTUSA you guys will shit on him all day every day with no regards to the "institution of the presidency."

asdf2231
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Thats a crock, when Barack Obama is POTUSA you guys will shit on him all day every day with no regards to the "institution of the presidency."

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/smileys%20and%20fun/tantrum.gif

Sonnabend
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Thats a crock, when Barack Obama is POTUSA you guys will shit on him all day every day with no regards to the "institution of the presidency."Y'know, , you, like a lot of other liberals, would be spellbound if you met the man face to face. You'd never dream of uttering the vitriol or a hundred other prepared "insults" I have heard from liberal websites "What I'd say if I met the chimp" (Chimp? The man was a fucking qualified fighter pilot...how many of you could fly one of those death traps..let alone get the thing off the ground?? None.) to throw at the man, nor would you, like so many other libbers have claimed, have the cojones to call him a "liar" to his face, or a "war criminal".

This BDS schtick is getting old, and sick ,and tired, and boring and basically idiotic. The man is smarter than you will ever be, is a braver man than many (anyone who can face down the demon drink, and win, has more guts than anyone ever gave him credit for) and has had the courage to stand and fight where others would have buckled.

Plus enduring insults, assaults, vitriol, venom and the kind of hatred, that had these scumbags ever dared say to his face, whoever opened his mouth would need serious facial repairs, long term life support and extensive cosmetic surgery.

As a man and as a father, he has kept his cool from the crazies who have repeatedly threatened his life...and that of his family.

He lives in Texas. One word of warning to all the little libbers out there who think it might be fun to bother him.

CASTLE DOCTRINE.

You say that freedoms have eroded under the President? He quietly and graciously allowed a film to be made and then shown in the US that was the dramatisation of Death of a President...using the face of a sitting Chief Executive.

By rights he should have had that fucking film impounded, those who made it arrested, and reminded what violating Title 18 Part 1 I Chapter 41, Rev.Statute USC 871 says.

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both

There are some lines that should never be crossed. THAT was one of them.

Would you gutless, snivelling, appeasing liberals have allowed that film to be made using Obama's face?

No, of course not. Or Kerry's? Or Hillary's? Or Gore?

So if the answer is no, then that film should never have been allowed across the border from Canada.

The liberals have set a precedent that I hope to GOD comes back one day and smacks the Dems in the face, HARD.

Eight years of sheer, unbridled, unabated, vicious hatred. I have to ask Allyn, are you proud of the liberals and their agenda? Are you proud of Sheehan and her ilk? Of McKinney?

Eight years of claims the President has committed this vast litany of crimes...yet when it comes for the proof...where is it? The liberals kept screeching "impeachment"...yet when they went to the floor vote and debate, Pelosi grabbed her skirts, wet her panties and sent the "articles" to a committee where they were quietly and quickly euthanised.

If they had all this proof of "crimes"....why didn't the Dems impeach?

I''ll tell you why...because he has committed no crimes, has never breached the Constitution and is a better man and a better President than John McCain, Barack Hussein the Muslim Obama or any other man could ever be.

Because the moment they did, the Dems would be committing political seppuku and they damned well knew it.

He is the reason the US is safe, he is the reason there have been no more 9/11's.

Eight years of hate. Eight years of some of the most disgusting, disgraceful,vile, reprehensible conduct I have ever seen, directed at a man who did not deserve any of it.

HuffPo, Kos, DU..all of them. Damn them to hell for all time.

The gravedancing I have seen at DU over Tony Snow (don't ask me for proof, that would be a major mistake), and the Kossacks, and HuffPo who expressed extreme sadness that the Vice President was not killed in Afghanistan(Michelle Malkin has it screencapped and I have a pdf.)..they say politics is a dirty business. The Left and Dems have evolved that to a new art form(if you can call the obscenity that DU is "art")..a new low, that I pray to God comes back one day to haunt them.

In days to come, when I hear the whingeing of Dems over the "level of debate", or over the disputes and number of times they will be "offended"..all I have to say in return is: "payback's a bitch"

Your lot set the standard, your lot not only reached the depths of depravity and disgust, they ran outside, found a 500 ton drill, set the thing on "DIG DEEP", then sat back and gloated at how "enlightened they were" and how they had shown the "Repugs", the "fascists"...the list is endless.

And sickening.

In future times, dear Democrats, I look forward to seeing that karma come back and hurt you.

Sheehan for one, is finding out now just what she has done..to herself, to others, and only now after God knows how many years, has woken up to the fact that yesterday she was the talk of the town..now she's a feather duster.

Cindy, darling? You were used, sweetie, and people like you spat on the sacrifice your son and his comrades made...you used his coffin as a soapbox, and its no wonder your family and everyone else disowned you.

You defiled his memory, and the memory of every soldier who fell in Iraq. I cannot find it in me to hate you..in fact, I pity you.

Good luck on your crusade to unseat Pelosi..prepare to be abjectly and thoroughly humiliated.

Oh, almost forgot, Eyecyst.

The words you are looking for are

"Thank you, Mr President"

AlmostThere
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh, almost forgot, Eyecyst.

The words you are looking for are

"Thank you, Mr President"
Very,very well said. A standing ovation to you.

Goldwater
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
The bold you use always makes me think you're screaming red-faced at your computer. :D

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
The bold you use always makes me think you're screaming red-faced at your computer. :D

I have a cute picture of him with a big red nose!:D

marinejcksn
07-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Sweet Jesus Sonnabend, I just read that post here in my office in Iraq and I had to go do some Marine Corps pullups. THAT MOTIVATED ME!

Seriously, that was one of the most thought out, insightful arguements for my Commander in Chief I've ever seen. Notice how curiously when a Conservative makes total sense and just destroys the liberal arguement completely, they never post back? Cut and run must be their Ace in the Hole strategy. :D

It's always funny to me when misinformed leftists hurl the "Fascist" insult at our President, and Conservatives in general. Do they know nothing of history, or merely choose to ignore it? From Mussolini's Fascisti to Hitler's Brownshirts....Stalin's Red menace, Mao, Che, Castro.....over and over what could be best descrbed as fascist has repeatedly come from the Left, not the Right. Hell, it goes back to the French Revolution for God's sake! Leave it to Harvard elites not to know their history. I'm a high school educated Marine and even I take the time to read up on my history, lest I'm doomed to repeat it.

Sonna, I salute you.:cool:

Sonnabend
07-14-2008, 07:24 AM
The bold you use always makes me think you're screaming red-faced at your computer. No...never. In fact I am virtually always calm and collected.That post took two days to write, and is the third draft. which I was finally happy with.

The bold are the salient points..I'd rather use bold than bullet points, it has more impact. I meant every word of it. There is a vast difference between political discourse and legitimate criticism of any man in office...and the gibbering, foaming at the mouth lunacy of the Left.

One makes sense.

The other makes for a stint in the local asylum.

marinejcksn..sir, from you that is high praise indeed.

Would it be an ask if you could blog or do a few posts on how things are in Al Anbar at the moment? I am aware of OPSEC, can you give us any general day to day details? It would be a treat to get the news from the source.

noonwitch
07-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I thought he did an excellent job as Bush's press secretary. He could handle the press corps well.

AmPat
07-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Heh,heh. :D Maybe.

Does this mean eyegunk is your sock puppet?:)

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I was afraid of this:

Statement in Regard to 'Tony Snow Family Trust' (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/statement-regard-tony-snow-family/story.aspx?guid=%7B5DDD3CED-75BE-4A03-A454-5E0940214A81%7D&dist=hppr)

Last update: 6:42 p.m. EDT July 14, 2008

WASHINGTON, July 14, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- In response to the many people who have called and asked how they could help, the "Tony Snow Family Trust" was set up today at the Wachovia Bank in Bowie, Maryland, to help with Tony Snow's children's education and expenses. Jill Snow, Tony's wife, will serve as the Trustee with Tony Snow's three children (Kendall, Robbie and Kristi) as beneficiaries. Donations can be made directly to the Tony Snow Family Trust by either: sending a check made payable to the "Tony Snow Family Trust" to: Center for Health Transformation, Attn: Tony Snow Family Trust, 1425 K Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20005 or going to www.healthtransformation.net, which is the website for the Center for Health Transformation. Tony was working with The Center for Health Transformation on a cancer project with Geraldine Ferraro to help eliminate cancer as a cause of death.
Randy Evans, the grantor of the Trust, stated that, "Serving our country at times means sacrifice. Tony did just that. At a time when he was at the pinnacle of his career at FOX News, he was asked to serve his country and he gave up the financial rewards his future held. Having served his country well, Tony left the White House to earn money to help secure his children's future. Unfortunately, fighting cancer did not give him much time to do that, and so, the purpose of this Trust is to help achieve Tony's goal of securing his children's future including their college educations."

hampshirebrit
07-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Only just saw this sad news.

Tony Snow was a class act. He fought a brave fight against his illness. He'll be missed.

hampshirebrit
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Ignore is for pussies. How many goddamn times do I have to say this?

LibraryLady
07-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Bush hails Snow's 'record of accomplishment' (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080717/ap_on_go_pr_wh/snow_funeral)

WASHINGTON - President Bush fondly remembered Tony Snow Thursday, telling mourners at Snow's funeral that the conservative commentator-turned-White House press secretary "amassed a rare record of accomplishment."
ADVERTISEMENT

"He knew the job of a reporter was vigorous. He understood the profession and always treated it with respect," said Bush, who traveled to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception to pay respects to his former lead spokesman, who died of colon cancer last Saturday.

His was a life that was "far too brief," the president said of Snow.

Bush was accompanied to the funeral on the campus of Catholic University by some familiar faces from earlier in his presidency, including former top adviser Karl Rove and one-time chief of staff Andrew Card. Row after row at the shrine was packed with family members and friends and associates, including White House correspondents.

"We will always remember his wry sense of humor and abundant goodness. We will also remember he was lots of fun," Bush said.

A somber Bush had a special message for Snow's three children Kendall, Robbie and Kristi. In a particularly poignant moment, he talked directly to them, noting he'd often called their father on the weekend seeking his advice, and just as often would find that he was helping his kids with homework or cheering them on the soccer field.

"He loved you a lot," Bush told the three children. "I hope you know we loved him a lot, too."

MrsSmith
07-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Ignore is for pussies. How many goddamn times do I have to say this?

'lids is ignoring half the board by now. Otherwise he/she/it might end up actually thinking something through. :rolleyes:

I know God knows what He's doing, but it's hard to see people like Tony gone while those like 'lids and the DUmpMonkies are still here. (Of course, staying here may not be the nicest thing God could do for someone...)

SaintLouieWoman
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
'lids is ignoring half the board by now. Otherwise he/she/it might end up actually thinking something through. :rolleyes:

I know God knows what He's doing, but it's hard to see people like Tony gone while those like 'lids and the DUmpMonkies are still here. (Of course, staying here may not be the nicest thing God could do for someone...)

That's the eternal question, isn't it? I've always wondered why some of the bad people last so long. Maybe it's God is delaying seeing them.

I'm glad Bush said such nice things about Tony Snow.

MrsSmith
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
That's the eternal question, isn't it? I've always wondered why some of the bad people last so long. Maybe it's God is delaying seeing them.

I'm glad Bush said such nice things about Tony Snow.

I would guess He is giving some of them time to grow into wisdom, and others time to complete their work.