PDA

View Full Version : Government trying to prosecute man who created Obama/joker poster

Constitutionally Speaking
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
CLERMONT - Clermont police have interviewed one suspect who is admitting to putting up the dozens of posters pasted around the city depicting President Obama as the Joker character from the Batman film The Dark Knight, city officials confirmed.

Assistant City Manager Darren Gray said city officials have an individual "admitting to putting up 500" of the posters.

Clermont Police Capt. Eric Jensen said the male individual has admitted to putting up some signs, but investigators suspect others were involved and their investigation is continuing.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-obama-joker-suspect-081309,0,4959018.story

Fascism --- are we there yet????

:mad:

Rockntractor
08-15-2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-obama-joker-suspect-081309,0,4959018.story

Our freedom of speech is dying!

PALEOCON
08-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey folks, the LEO's are just enforcin' the Law.

Why is that even remotely 'fascist' except to the most fanatically hyprocritical among CU true believers.

Sonnabend
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Internet_Troll_Nettle_Award.png

Rockntractor
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/questionMark.gif?t=1250348384
Hey folks, the LEO's are just enforcin' the Law

stsinner
08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey folks, the LEO's are just enforcin' the Law

Why aren't you banned yet?

Lanie
08-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Unless the posters contained a threat, I don't think there's a case.

FeebMaster
08-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Well, it is vandalism.

The real question is why this guy is not only talking to the police, but admitting to putting up hundreds of the posters.

Sonnabend
08-15-2009, 12:39 PM
The real question is why this guy is not only talking to the police, but admitting to putting up hundreds of the posters.

Because he is proud of what he did?

PALEOCON
08-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, it is vandalism.

Possibly a low level blackop to build the case that 'terrorism' includes anti-admin vandalism.

PALEOCON
08-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Why aren't you banned yet?

God you people have trouble dealing with Truth............kinda like your cousins at DU

BadCat
08-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Possibly a low level blackop to build the case that 'terrorism' includes anti-admin vandalism.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g7KcbMxmLEU/R5E2Yk_YZ4I/AAAAAAAADFY/_m0pJ7oocXI/s400/TinfoilHat.jpg

FeebMaster
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Because he is proud of what he did?

That's no reason to be a moron.

Yeah, I doubt it.

FlaGator
08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't see where he has violated any laws. Rock and rap groups tack up posters like this announcing gigs all the time. No one charges them with anything. If it is just the point of the poster that is causing issues then in the name of justice all such persons who post any type of poster must be charged and prosecuted otherwise unequal justice is being applied and that does violate the constitution. Perhaps the powers that be should prosecute those who put up signs advertising garage sales and lost pets?

Rockntractor
08-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't see where he has violated any laws. Rock and rap groups tack up posters like this announcing gigs all the time. No one charges them with anything. If it is just the point of the poster that is causing issues then in the name of justice all such persons who post any type of poster must be charged and prosecuted otherwise unequal justice is being applied and that does violate the constitution. Perhaps the powers that be should prosecute those who put up signs advertising garage sales and lost pets?
Off an on when work has been slow I put up posters. If they are in the wrong place they just take them down!

linda22003
08-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Did anyone actually read the article? The issue is the posting of signs illegally, not the CONTENT of the signs.

FlaGator
08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Did anyone actually read the article? The issue is the posting of signs illegally, not the CONTENT of the signs.

That is what I was answering in my post. The enforcement of this law seems to be extremely narrow.

FeebMaster
08-15-2009, 05:20 PM
That is what I was answering in my post. The enforcement of this law seems to be extremely narrow.

That's the beauty of it. You just charge people you don't like. Then you can turn around and say things like "the law is the law" and "our hands are tied. We're just enforcing the law as written."

If worse comes to worst, they can always charge him with disturbing the peace.

hazlnut
08-16-2009, 06:42 PM

So, communities are not allowed to designate which areas/surfaces are appropriate for posting?

And tax-payers are supposed to just foot the clean-up bill? If you leave flyers with your phone number on cars and those flyers end up on the ground, I've heard of people getting tickets for littering.

It doesn't read fascist to me at all. The guy put up 500 posters on pubic and private property. If he wants to decorate the walls of a building he owns or get permission from someone, that's one thing, but the rules about this sort of thing seem very reasonable--not 'fascist' at all.

hazlnut
08-16-2009, 06:52 PM

If it's excessive--they do in L.A. A poster here or there around the college areas is not going to get you in trouble, especially if you pull them down after the event.

Those temporary fences around construction sites are one thing, but public and private buildings. You can't do that and not expect someone to complain to the police. The police get enough complaints and someone's getting a ticket.

Mailboxes? Really bad idea.

I think it's one of those laws that gets enforced when it's excessive and the police get numerous complaints. -- 500 sounds excessive.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
So, communities are not allowed to designate which areas/surfaces are appropriate for posting?

And tax-payers are supposed to just foot the clean-up bill? If you leave flyers with your phone number on cars and those flyers end up on the ground, I've heard of people getting tickets for littering.

It doesn't read fascist to me at all. The guy put up 500 posters on pubic and private property. If he wants to decorate the walls of a building he owns or get permission from someone, that's one thing, but the rules about this sort of thing seem very reasonable--not 'fascist' at all.

Read Feebs post above.

It is NEVER enforced.

hazlnut
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Read Feebs post above.

It is NEVER enforced.

You say 'never' but do you have an example of someone posting 500 posters in the same manner and never being investigated?

Sure people will post a handful of posters to advertise an event--usually around colleges and club areas. Construction fences get covered in posters in some cities. But that's not what was indicated in the article.

Rockntractor
08-17-2009, 01:01 AM
You say 'never' but do you have an example of someone posting 500 posters in the same manner and never being investigated?

Sure people will post a handful of posters to advertise an event--usually around colleges and club areas. Construction fences get covered in posters in some cities. But that's not what was indicated in the article.
It happens every election!

hazlnut
08-17-2009, 01:11 AM
It happens every election!

Again, I'm just going by what was in the story in the OP, but this single person took credit for the majority of the illegally hung posters. How they tracked him down, I don't know.

During an election, yard signs find their way to all manner of 'illegal' places, however police don't have the time and resources to investigate every sign--unless there is some sort of vandalism or trespassing complaint made.

PoliCon
08-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I never heard of anyone being prosecuted for the Bush hitler sticker plastered up all over the place.

Rockntractor
08-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I never heard of anyone being prosecuted for the Bush hitler sticker plastered up all over the place.

Bush was evil you know that!

PoliCon
08-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Bush was evil you know that!

oh sorry. forgot! ;)

Rockntractor
08-17-2009, 01:22 AM
oh sorry. forgot! ;)

I think Hazle agrees with us. He is just playing devils advocate!

noonwitch
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM

The only laws I see violated in that are copyright laws by Warner Brothers/DC Comics-but as far as I can see in the article, they're not the ones bringing the charges.