PDA

View Full Version : It's Two A.M. You hear a noise...

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Pick a tactical light and a firearm.

I know there is a question of whether or not you turn on a flashlight or not. That's a tactical question and depends on a lot of factors. But if it's dark i want to have a light with me so I have an option.

In this scenario I'm talking about being inside my house. I'd also be curious about outdoors too if anybody wants to offer an opinion.

I don't have a real tactical light and don't know much about 'em.

megimoo
08-15-2009, 06:37 PM
If you are talking about some neighborhood kid trying to break into your house it doesn't make much difference .If you turn on the outside lights they will likely leave.

Those motion sensing outside lights are great at keeping strange people away from your property at night and an armed serious professional wouldn't go after your house in the first place .

IMHO it's best to wait a bit but be ready to defend yourself and your family if they are armed.Don't show a light, that will just gives them a place to aim but move away from them quietly .

After a while you should be able to figure out where they are and what they are doing .You remain in control and know more about the house than they do.

It's better to stay away from them for as long as possible and have hopefully called the cops on your cell phone.

If you start blasting away and kill a dumb drugged up neighbors kid you will feel awful for the rest of your life but the same time you don't want to be shot by some critter .

I am all for defending my property from house breakers and if one of them were to start shooting I wouldn't have a problem with blasting back with my twelve gauge but if you are able to move away from them for awhile that to me makes more sense until help arrives.

That's why having a good sized dog or two makes a lot of sense,early warning .To me a tactical light is for after the shooting is over.IR Goggles are another matter .

SarasotaRepub
08-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Since it's only me and SLW in the house I don't need a light.

Anything that looks like a body is going to be vented by a .357 Mag
Hollow Point bullet. :D

I can hit em out the front door too...:p

Crystal Wizard
08-15-2009, 08:44 PM
It's 4 am and you awake only to look into the abyss. There is no good, no evil; no hope, no despair; no future, no past; no Yaweh, no Satan.. Only the abyss. Only the darkness. Only the nothingness. What do you do? Say hallelujah and, of a sudden, believe in God?

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys.

Looking for a light here. A tactical flashlight.

I have a Model 92 Beretta. That will be in my hand.

Watch. Wait. Listen.

Got it.

I saw a cool light that mounts under the barrel of a shotgun for outside. I'd like a light that I can carry with me and turn on as needed.

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 08:45 PM
It's 4 am and you awake only to look into the abyss. There is no good, no evil; no hope, no despair; no future, no past; no Yaweh, no Satan.. Only the abyss. Only the darkness. Only the nothingness. What do you do? Say hallelujah and, of a sudden, believe in God?

I have looked into the Abyss, Noble Mon......and at that exact moment....the Abyss looked back into ....me.....:eek::D

stsinner
08-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Just keep the unloaded Mossberg next to your bed, and when you hear an intruder, reach over and cock it forcefully. Then roll back over and go back to sleep.. You'll be alone again soon.

My only recommendation, especially in this commie state, is to shoot center-mass and shoot to kill, firing only one time. You don't want them to survive to sue you, but you don't want to look like you're trigger-happy. And if you shoot for the head you'll likely go down for murder with our messed-up judicial system. A well-placed single shot center mass looks like you were just using enough force to protect your life and diffuse the situation. If they die, they die, but at least you don't look like an animal.

Then I'd lock your gun back up and wait for the police with your hands up so you are not mistaken for the perp. And DON'T SAY A WORD TO ANYONE!! That's the most important thing! Don't speak to anyone but your lawyer, and don't leave the scene! Your gun will probably be taken from you for now, and you'll probably be arrested until the court case plays out, but that's just what has to happen. You'll likely be exonerated and then you'll get your gun back, so don't act like an ass at the scene-there's no stopping the procedure once it's begun.

Nothing against cops, but they aren't your friend! And if you watch a video that, I believe, Megi posted a month, or so, ago, it was pointed out that whatever you say to a cop that can be used against you will be-and it will be admissible, but anything that you say that can help you will be objected to as hearsay and will be thrown out.

Regarding the light, I have a very bright 3W LED that is blinding, but that would be a tough call.

When I took my firearms safety course to get my license to carry, the instructor said to carry them when you're out at night because it disorients a potential attacker when you shine it in their eyes, and, especially for the ladies, it can afford you a hasty exit from the situation while the perp waits for his night vision to come back.

stsinner
08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys.

Looking for a light here. A tactical flashlight.

I have a Model 92 Beretta. That will be in my hand.

Watch. Wait. Listen.

Got it.

I saw a cool light that mounts under the barrel of a shotgun for outside. I'd like a light that I can carry with me and turn on as needed.

Buy a Streamlight from www.galls.com like this one. (http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FL866) As a firefighter, we abuse our lights, and Streamlight has never let me down. And it's one of the brightest flashlights available!

BadCat
08-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Second the Streamlights.
Great tactical flashlights.

At 0200 at my house, you get to meet a Benelli M4 loaded with 8 rounds of 00 buck.

http://www.e-gun.net/guns/20478-1.jpg

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Buy a Stramlight from www.galls.com like this one. (http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FL866) As a firefighter, we abuse our lights, and Streamlight has never let me down. And it's one of the brightest flashlights available!

Thanks. Yep. I'll put my back against a wall and wait any time I can. I do love the cavalry.

Thing is, where I live, on the Mountain, i'm a good ten minutes from the cavalry arriving.

This light is interesting....

http://www.galls.com/jpegs/346810.jpg

Full-Auto
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
This is what I sleep with next to my bed.

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/506589833_rfoxa-L.jpg

I think it speaks for itself.

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Second the Streamlights.
Great tactical flashlights.

At 0200 at my house, you get to meet a Benelli M4 loaded with 8 rounds of 00 buck.

http://www.e-gun.net/guns/20478-1.jpg

I've got a Mossburg pump, a Browning and S&W autoloader, but the light recommendation is very helpful.

The Mossberg is the one I would pick. Extended mag. Nice.

Streamlights.... sounds good.

Hadn't heard of them. This is what I was hoping for....

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM

Awesome....Wot is it....?????

lacarnut
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I would do like the NYC shopkeeper in Harlem did Thursday when 4 thugs tried to rob him. Killed two of them with shotgun blasts and the other 2 are in the hospital with wounds.

I hope the authorities do not pull a Bernard Goetz on the 72 year old man charging him with illegal gun possession. Living in a f. up liberal anti-gun city/state might be a problem for him. Not so in most of the red states.

Bubba Dawg
08-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I would do like the NYC shopkeeper in Harlem did Thursday when 4 thugs tried to rob him. Killed two of them with shotgun blasts and the other 2 are in the hospital with wounds.

I hope the authorities do not pull a Bernard Goetz on the 72 year old man charging him with illegal gun possession. Living in a f. up liberal anti-gun city/state might be a problem for him. Not so in most of the red states.

Up close, a 12 gauge with 00 Buckshot is an awesome weapon.

SarasotaRepub
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Awesome....Wot is it....?????

The gun they used on SG-1. :D

Rockntractor
08-15-2009, 10:49 PM
The gun they used on SG-1. :D
Turn the election 08 forum iinto a Gun forum!

lacarnut
08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Up close, a 12 gauge with 00 Buckshot is an awesome weapon.

I have 2 hand guns but need to buy a 12 gauge shotgun that will not break the bank. Thinking about a Winchester 1300. Any other suggestions.

Full-Auto
08-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Yup, it's the weapon used in SG-1. It's an FN P90. Great little weapon.

Teetop
08-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I have one of these (http://www.in-depthangling.com/forum/files/71861-PB060109.JPG).

12 gauge, deer slug.

I wouldn't shoot it inside the house, unless I lived alone.

Guaranteed to go through walls, and anything else in it's way.

Who needs a light?

PoliCon
08-16-2009, 01:08 AM

That's the gun I want!! :eek: I did a gun poll - and it even came up that I should get a P90 as well. :)

patriot45
08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
For light and power, this is in my nitetable! Its heavy but its got a double stack of 10mm rounds and I have 3 more clips next to it and the TLR-2 tac lite-laser should be up to any task at 2 am!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/001beefribs009.jpg

Bubba Dawg
08-16-2009, 09:04 PM
For light and power, this is in my nitetable! Its heavy but its got a double stack of 10mm rounds and I have 3 more clips next to it and the TLR-2 tac lite-laser should be up to any task at 2 am!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/001beefribs009.jpg

Now that's cool. The light goes right under the barrel. Have you practiced shooting it at night.?

That's not your...um....murse back there...is it...? :eek::D

patriot45
08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Bubba, I am not sure what you mean, but I laid thg Glock down an a bonifide original Fish lips beer coozy!
And no, I haven't practiced at nite with it, but I'm sure all will be good! :D

patriot45
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok! I get it! Murse! :D Thats the little womans bag!
I do have fanny packs tho!

Bubba Dawg
08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Bubba, I am not sure what you mean, but I laid thg Glock down an a bonifide original Fish lips beer coozy!
And no, I haven't practiced at nite with it, but I'm sure all will be good! :D

LOL. Kidding. Shannon was kidding me a few months ago because I carry my .44 Special revolver in a man purse or murse.

I was just wondering if you could see your sights or not. I mean, I know you're looking down the slide so you'd see what the light was shining on but I was just curious.

Bubba Dawg
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok! I get it! Murse! :D Thats the little womans bag!
I do have fanny packs tho!

Yeah, I have a fanny pack, but I have a shoulder bag too.

It's very manly. :D

patriot45
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
LOL. Kidding. Shannon was kidding me a few months ago because I carry my .44 Special revolver in a man purse or murse.

I was just wondering if you could see your sights or not. I mean, I know you're looking down the slide so you'd see what the light was shining on but I was just curious.

That tac light will blind you. It is bright. When I killed that last pig at night it lit the field out to a hundred yards!!! Its a weapon by itself!

Bubba Dawg
08-16-2009, 09:21 PM
That tac light will blind you. It is bright. When I killed that last pig at night it lit the field out to a hundred yards!!! Its a weapon by itself!

I wondered what it would be like to be in front of it. My concern was always that a light can pinpoint your own position. BUT, if you blind the Hell out of the guy in front, that is an advantage.