PDA

View Full Version : Paging Linda numbers...

Teetop
08-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Readers unload their grammar pet peeves (http://www.mcall.com/news/all-bill-white-grammar-pet-peeves.6988947aug15,0,4230084.column?track=rss)

I promised last time to share some pet peeves about how people speak and write.

Readers dumped a lot of these on me in response to my Grammar Police column about ''graduated college'' and the misuse of ''myself.''

Before I get to the pet peeves, I'll note that I reluctantly accepted the role of grammar expert -- which I never claim to be -- in connection with a sports terminology dispute between a husband and wife. The fact that the husband is a friend of mine played no part in my ruling.

He asked, ''Now Mr. Grammar, what is the proper way of calling for time out in a game on many different occasions? Is it: 'He has now requested four time outs during the game?'; or 'He has now requested four times out during the game?' My wife and I have a running battle over that. She claims it's times out. She is overwhelmingly correct most of the time, but I am not conceding at this point.''

I ruled that ''time outs'' is correct. It's a two-word phrase that essentially functions as one word. As one Internet grammar site explained, there is no independent ''time'' in this situation. It's a time out. So to make it a plural, you put the ''s'' at the end.

Linda it doesn't bother me that you help us out with our writing skills, or lack there of. I was in a chat room for years and a Canadian lady drilled into my head, the difference of "there", "their" and "they're". And I am a better person for her correcting me. I hated English in high school!

It's a good article.

Phillygirl
08-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Readers unload their grammar pet peeves (http://www.mcall.com/news/all-bill-white-grammar-pet-peeves.6988947aug15,0,4230084.column?track=rss)

Linda it doesn't bother me that you help us out with our writing skills, or lack there of. I was in a chat room for years and a Canadian lady drilled into my head, the difference of "there", "their" and "they're". And I am a better person for her correcting me. I hated English in high school!

It's a good article.

I likewise enjoy Linda #'s corrections. When I dictate, I have to spell out "parties, party's, and parties' " each and every time, or it will be typed wrong. Drives me crazy!

linda22003
08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
It's (not its, it's) nice to be appreciated. :D

Teetop
08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
It's (not its, it's) nice to be appreciated. :D

Like I said, I hated english in high school and I appreciate you helping us out. :)

Rockntractor
08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I need to figure out the whole to, too thing now.

PoliCon
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM

too means ALSO. Easy enough.

lacarnut
08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Like I said, I hated english in high school

I hated school period. Had to take remedial English in college, and wound up writing letter ruling for the Dept. of Revenue on sales tax issues. The dumb ass attorney's we had could not cut the mustard.

PoliCon
08-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Like I said, I hated english in high school and I appreciate you helping us out. :)

I have always enjoyed the study of English and English grammar :) It's spelling that I suck at!

linda22003
08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
The dumb ass attorney's we had could not cut the mustard.

Ah, but did they at least know not to put an apostrophe in a simple plural? ;)

patriot45
08-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank God I learned my english grammar good when I went to school! We didn't have as many words as there are today! The singular plural stuff drives me nuts, I always say that where you need a hypostrophe just use them and use enough of them'! And I wish I could remember what omona, onamo, Onomatopoeia meant so I could use that here and there, croak, groan! :D

JB
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Posting in a thread merely to correct someone's grammar and/or typos is lame. Always has been, always will be. Besides, she is hardly immune from it herself.

Teetop
08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I have always enjoyed the study of English and English grammar :) It's spelling that I suck at!

That's just it! I'm am excellent at spelling, but sucked at everything else. I get it now.

Shannon
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM

You need to figure out more than that.

Rockntractor
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
You need to figure out more than that.

Yes dear!