PDA

View Full Version : Tax Deduction for Pets

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
The House of Rep. has a bill to allow a $3,500 deduction for pet care (food and Vet bills). The proponents thinks this might increase adoption and result in better care for animals. I have to agree but I can see the other side of the coin. What do you'll think.

FeebMaster
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
The House of Rep. has a bill to allow a $3,500 deduction for pet care (food and Vet bills). The proponents thinks this might increase adoption and result in better care for animals. I have to agree but I can see the other side of the coin. What do you'll think.

I think I'm going to get a dog.

Lars1701a
08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Just another attempt to put animals on the same level as Humans.

SaintLouieWoman
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Just another attempt to put animals on the same level as Humans.

I presume you have no pets.

Personally, I think the pet tax break is a good idea. After all the years of spending big time for vet bills and food, I'd welcome a tax break. God only knows how much I've contributed tax wise to every other boondoggle of the fed gov't without a break.

The adoption groups are having a more difficult time with so many returns from people who can't afford their pets. Maybe this would help. It would have to be carefully written to prevent people who wouldn't take care of the poor animals get them only to take advantage of the tax break, then dump them.

And Lars, Christ made many references about being kind to all creatures. Statistics tend to bear out that people who are cruel/torture animals tend to have the same attitude toward humans. Some guy in the STL area murdered a young woman a while back. The guy had a record of torturing animals first.

A little kindness to all God's creatures doesn't hurt anyone. No use complainng about how people put animals over people. One would hope that folks can be kind all the way around.

stsinner
08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Also, there are a lot of animals being taken to shelters or just let loose when people lose their homes to foreclosure and move into an apartment.. Not many apartments allow pets..

AmPat
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Dangit! I just threw away some expensive vet receipts yesterday.:mad:

djones520
08-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Is this a one time thing, or a yearly thing?

Personally, I wouldn't mind the money at all. But I have to wonder, just where the hell is it going to come from when we're already deficit 1.2 trillion so far this year?

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I don' t have any pets but I do think it would be a good idea even though the exemption would be widely abused. I paid my ex g.f. vet. bills for many years. Hell, I even bought her a show quality cocker spaniel puppy. Paying less in taxes should appeal to all conservatives.

djones520
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I don' t have any pets but I do think it would be a good idea even though the exemption would be widely abused. I paid my ex g.f. vet. bills for many years. Hell, I even bought her a show quality cocker spaniel puppy. Paying less in taxes should appeal to all conservatives.

It does appeal to me, but I just have to wonder where it's going to come from. Cutting taxes and increasing spending is just as bad as increasing spending and taxes.

stsinner
08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Suddenly, everyone would be a dog lover!

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM

The deduction would not do those 50% of non tax paying citizens any good. So those on welfare, EITC, etc would not qualify for the benefit.

jawilljr
08-18-2009, 06:18 PM

No, just get an aquarium with 20 fish... that is 20 deductions!!! At that rate I won't pay any Federal Income Taxes!!:D

Jerry

Rockntractor
08-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Will bill get a deduction for Hillary now?

SaintLouieWoman
08-18-2009, 06:42 PM
It does appeal to me, but I just have to wonder where it's going to come from. Cutting taxes and increasing spending is just as bad as increasing spending and taxes.

Hey, it's going to come from the same place as those rainbows and free ponies. :D

How bad is this? I'll be happy if they finally throw some of those tax breaks my way. We're going to give free health care for illegals, which we'll be paying for, plus the myriad of other breaks to those who don't pay taxes, so I'd be happy as a clam to finally get a tax break that would apply to us. (not spoken in my usual conservative way, but just fed up with all the taxes).

Phillygirl
08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Bad idea...I think it's bullshit.

SaintLouieWoman
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Tell us what you really think! :D:p

Just think of all the poor little pups in the pounds it would save----well, maybe not. They'd be daddy's little tax deductions.

djones520
08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Maybe it'll make people like BC feel better about having parrots instead of kids. :D

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
It would provide a better tax benefit than humans presently have. In order for us to claim a tax deduction, we have to go over 7.5% of our adjusted income before we can claim the first dime. Fido would get it on the first dollar spent.

I don't think it will pass. Cash for clunkers and now cash for pooches.

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Will bill get a deduction for Hillary now?

Ruff, ruff

BadCat
08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Maybe it'll make people like BC feel better about having parrots instead of kids. :D

I already feel good about it, but it would make me feel even better...

2 parrots = $7000
12 Cockatiels = $42000
5 Cats = $17500
4 Dogs = $14000
1 Horse = $3500

$84000 right off the top.

Hell, I'd feel GREAT.

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 07:11 PM
I already feel good about it, but it would make me feel even better...

2 parrots = $7000
12 Cockatiels = $42000
5 Cats = $17500
4 Dogs = $14000
1 Horse = $3500

$84000 right off the top.

Hell, I'd feel GREAT.

The IRS would say you are too rich to get the deduction.:)

lacarnut
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Some people would say that a sales tax deduction for buying a new car or a credit on energy saving windows is bullshit also.