PDA

View Full Version : Grillin for Gator!

patriot45
06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I guess recipes are going here!
I felt bad for that hog anus thread getting into plank territory, so here is some real Florida BBQ
Pulled pork! When you can take it off the grill and pull the meat apart with 2 forks, you know you did well!!
Boston butt
Inject with mojo sauce
rub with your favorite rub ( my favorite rub right now is a store bought rub called Grill Mates Pork Rub by Mc Cormick)
Soak some hickory wood chunks
Get grill to about 250 degrees, heat on one side only, put roast on other side of grill.
Put wood chunks in tin foil and place on the hot side of grill
Cook for at least 30-40 mins a lb. or until 180 for sliced pork or 190-200 for pulled pork.
A good idea is to get a spray bottle , and mix beef broth and apple juice and use to wet down roast every hour or so.

I forgot to take a before pic.

This is after

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/anniversary001-1.jpg

And I do mean pull apart!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/anniversary002.jpg

JB
06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Is that from your kill?

If so, we've seen the before pic. :p

gator
06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
"Grilled" pulled pork is a poor sustitute for real BBQ.

In order to do up real pulled pork you need to smoke it with an offset firebox using real wood. If you aren't going to do that then you might as well just put it in the oven with BBQ Sauce over it.

Shannon
06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh shit. This isn't the beginning of the Barbecue Wars Part Umpteen , is it?

Bubba Dawg
06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Gotta go with the Gator on this one. Gotta have smoke.

Best is firebox on one end, chimney on the other, fifteen or twenty feet of cooking area in between. Sheet metal lids over the cooking area. Low and Slow.

Warms the cockles of my heart.

gator
06-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh shit. This isn't the beginning of the Barbecue Wars Part Umpteen , is it?

Would you rather talk about Australia?

Shannon
06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Would you rather talk about Australia?

Barbecue it is.:p Start a chili thread too. We kinda have a Civil War one going so we'll see where that one takes us.

Bubba Dawg
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
That Bar-B-Que does look good P45. Just messin' :D

Since my folks sold the bar-b-que restaurant I don't have access to a for-real pit so I make do, and it's pretty da-gone good.

Still, low and slow, and smoke makes it good.

RobJohnson
06-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Gotta go with the Gator on this one. Gotta have smoke.

hmmmmmmm....

Soak some hickory wood chunks

I thought for sure the hickory would make smoke.

Jumpy
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Looks great, as always, P45. I did the grilling thing for a few years, with the offset firebox, splitting the wood myself, preburning it before I put it into the firebox. I did okay with it, but eventually gave the whole thing away. I fussed over it too much, and was never really happy with the turnout.. never really found that perfect temp.. no flame, just coals, etc.

I often work near a real BBQ place that actually knows how to do it right. I usually bring a container of the meat home..rolls and cabbage slaw on the side to assemble later. mmmm.

gator
06-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Looks great, as always, P45. I did the grilling thing for a few years, with the offset firebox, splitting the wood myself, preburning it before I put it into the firebox. I did okay with it, but eventually gave the whole thing away. I fussed over it too much, and was never really happy with the turnout.. never really found that perfect temp.. no flame, just coals, etc.

I often work near a real BBQ place that actually knows how to do it right. I usually bring a container of the meat home..rolls and cabbage slaw on the side to assemble later. mmmm.

When I moved to Washington state I realized that nobody up there knew how to BBQ. In fact they didn't even know what BBQ was. They thought grilling was BBQing. Dumbasses.

I bought an offfset firebox smoker so that I could fix my own BBQ. It took me about two years to get it down pat. There is a learning curve.

I found out the best way was to use a bed of regular hardwood coals. Usually the wood was apple because that was available in Washington. Then use hickory wood to provide the good flavor smoke.

Now that I am back in the South I have no need to do my own BBQ. I can find all I want nearby.

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
That Bar-B-Que does look good P45. Just messin' :D

Since my folks sold the bar-b-que restaurant I don't have access to a for-real pit so I make do, and it's pretty da-gone good.

Still, low and slow, and smoke makes it good.

I can testify that no one cooks like Patriot45. Too bad Gator couldn't stop by. Jeskibuff, SR and I had an absolute feast.

Shannon
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I can testify that no one cooks like Patriot45. Too bad Gator couldn't stop by. Jeskibuff, SR and I had an absolute feast.

Oh yeah well, Scott, Melanie, DS and I had great food too, kinda...so there!:p

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh yeah well, Scott, Melanie, DS and I had great food too, kinda...so there!:p

Felt bad that Pat45 and Robin stayed up til 1:30am making all those delicious Beef Wellingtons. Glad you had good food, sad that the board went down at the wrong time.

Jumpy
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
When I moved to Washington state I realized that nobody up there knew how to BBQ. In fact they didn't even know what BBQ was. They thought grilling was BBQing. Dumbasses.

I bought an offfset firebox smoker so that I could fix my own BBQ. It took me about two years to get it down pat. There is a learning curve.

I found out the best way was to use a bed of regular hardwood coals. Usually the wood was apple because that was available in Washington. Then use hickory wood to provide the good flavor smoke.

Now that I am back in the South I have no need to do my own BBQ. I can find all I want nearby.
We have a few places that have stands at the local fairs, and carnivals. They dont compete with the one I buy from that only grills in the warm months as it is easier for them to help keep the temp stable.

I spent about 2 summers with my offset firebox smoker, and never could write home about the results. And boy did I try. I tried all sorts of wood. My temp was either too hot or too cold. I could never stabilize it to my satisfaction. I was trying for an all day smoking project. 10-14 hours or so. I wanted to perfect a brisquit, or pulled pork. In the end, I added tons of flavoring to the stuff, and folks fussed over it, but I was never happy with it.

Shannon
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Felt bad that Pat45 and Robin stayed up til 1:30am making all those delicious Beef Wellingtons. Glad you had good food, sad that the board went down at the wrong time.

Stop! We all felt sooo bad for Pat45 with the food situation. I still blame your husband for that fiasco.

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Stop! We all felt sooo bad for Pat45 with the food situation. I still blame your husband for that fiasco.
Please!! :rolleyes: Remember, Mapquest is your friend, especially a printout before the event. I stayed late at work tonight to print the mapquest directions for a couple biz appointments.

Shannon
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Please!! :rolleyes: Remember, Mapquest is your friend, especially a printout before the event. I stayed late at work tonight to print the mapquest directions for a couple biz appointments.

You need an ADDRESS for mapquest! I was never given directions. I blame DS and SR. You don't even want to know the hilarity of that morning between me and Scott on the phone trying to figure out where Pat45 lived.:D

Jumpy
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
You need an ADDRESS for mapquest! I was never given directions. I blame DS and SR. You don't even want to know the hilarity of that morning between me and Scott on the phone trying to figure out where Pat45 lived.:D

This is a good thread! Did you ever get there, Shannon? Pics should prolly be posted.

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Pat sent directions to everyone. We were in Sanibel and travelling. It was our vacation. Sadly it was a comedy of errors. Scott sent a message to my old email address from NU from a long time ago. I never check it-----well hardly ever. Checked it after we got home.

SR had sent his phone # numerous times to Gator, who said he didn't have it. How in the world was it SR's fault?

It's taught me not to have one of these gatherings here. It reminded me of a stupid political fundraiser I had hosted. 200 invitations were sent out. I was really sweating it that too many would show up. Know how Pat felt. I had food for at least 100 and about 25 showed up. Guess people didn't understand the meaning of RSVP. I never, ever had another one.

SarasotaRepub
06-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Printers are your friend!!! Printing out directions BEFORE the event is even better!!!;):p:D

Christ! You guys live in FL, I was just visiting! :p

Shannon
06-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Printers are your friend!!! Printing out directions BEFORE the event is even better!!!;)

Christ! You guys live in FL, I was just visiting! :p

I WAS NOT THE RECIPIENT OF THE DIRECTIONS!!!!!

DS got yelled at as did Melanie.:p

You are still a dumbass for not checking NU earlier.

patriot45
06-03-2008, 11:46 AM
hmmmmmmm....

I thought for sure the hickory would make smoke.

You are right , I have 4 burners on the grill. I keep 3 off and put the injected and rubbed butt on the unlit side. On the lit burner goes some soaked hickory chunks and I smoke for 2 hours, it gives favor and a smoke ring. That was an 11 lb butt that I put on at 10 am and took off at 6 pm, the last 3 hrs wapped in foil. It was better than the smokehouses aroud here.

Here are some pics from the meet-up, I posted them on the temp board, here they are again!

Because I broke the internets that week, we had a communicaton snafu and we ended up with a more intimate meet-up, quality over quantity!

Dinner!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/cumeetup026.jpg

patriot45
06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
This is a good thread! Did you ever get there, Shannon? Pics should prolly be posted.

Ha, no. There was actually 2 Florida meet-ups that day!:D

Funny part, they had to go right by my house twice.

nightflight
06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
That looks awesome!

linda22003
06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I just assumed the Florida "meet up" was the reason the whole site went down.

RobJohnson
06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Great pictures....I thought SR was going to bring along his wife, not his daughter. ;)

RobJohnson
06-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Ha, no. There was actually 2 Florida meet-ups that day!:D

Funny part, they had to go right by my house twice.

Heck, even I know your last name and where you work....and I was not even planning on going....how hard could of it been to find? :D

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Heck, even I know your last name and where you work....and I was not even planning on going....how hard could of it been to find? :D
And you don't even live in Florida. :D

Jumpy
06-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Great pictures....I thought SR was going to bring along his wife, not his daughter. ;)

omigod.. what an asskisser!!! lol! Gotta agree though, they are great pics. And the food looks amazing. Beautiful presentation.

RobJohnson
06-03-2008, 09:19 PM
omigod.. what an asskisser!!! lol! Gotta agree though, they are great pics. And the food looks amazing. Beautiful presentation.

It just tickles my heart to see two people so happy together. :)