PDA

View Full Version : Churches out supporting Obamacare, where's the IRS threats?

enslaved1
08-18-2009, 05:05 PM
More doublethink linky (http://www.conservativepunk.com/articles/2164/)

Tue Aug 18, 2009 - The question is rhetorical because we know that they selectively use the separation of church and state to target churches that oppose abortion. But ever since the healthcare debate began, the left has been using faith as an argument to support reform. Ed Schultz of MSNBC even asked the question, wouldn’t Jesus want healthcare reform?

If the watchdog’s lack of interest in Trinity United during the campaign in ’08 taught us anything, it’s that they’re not particularly concerned with churches that support leftist goals and candidates. But just for laughs, let’s take a look at some possible violators who might be due for an inquiry on their Federal tax-exempt status.

snip

I know pointing these churches out might not make me very popular with some of my religious readers, but if we’re going to try to uphold this standard, shouldn’t it apply to everyone? For example, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, whose stated purpose is to preserve the constitutional principle of church-state separation, state on their website that, “As tax-exempt entities, houses of worship may not intervene in partisan politics…” Yet there is not a single mention of churches advocating on behalf of healthcare reform, while at the same time they decry churches injecting themselves in the abortion or same-sex marriage debates.

Loonies, you got some 'splain to do. After all isn't it horrible for any churches to use their position to influence politics, voting, or culture (saying homosexuality is a sin)? Any answers lurkers and trolls?

Rockntractor
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
More doublethink linky (http://www.conservativepunk.com/articles/2164/)

Loonies, you got some 'splain to do. After all isn't it horrible for any churches to use their position to influence politics, voting, or culture (saying homosexuality is a sin)? Any answers lurkers and trolls?

I think they allow churches to support issues not candidates.