PDA

View Full Version : Opponents of Obamacare Screened Out of Poll on Healthcare

megimoo
08-19-2009, 11:26 AM
"They're 'smoking' the poll's again !"

Late this afternoon I received a call from Harris Interactive. They were conducting a poll with women on HealthCare.I normally inform anyone calling for polling purposes that I work in Market Research. Normally that disqualifies participation. In this case it did not. I let the caller proceed since I was interested to hear what the questions might be.

The opening questions in any survey are qualifiers. You have to give the answer they are looking for in order to be included in the survey. The usual reason for these qualifying questions is to screen out respondents who have no connection to the subject being studied. The interviewer is normally sitting at a computer monitor. As responses are recorded, the program creates certain skip or continue patterns depending on the response to each question.

One of the two qualifying questions made no sense. It lacked clarity and was perhaps the vaguest question I've ever seen in a questionnaire. However, in another way it was brilliantly Machiavellian.

The first qualifier was:
Some people feel that people in Washington are out of touch with the rest of the country, do you agree with that statement? The obvious response is YES, I agree.

The second qualifier was:
Some people feel they are left out of everything around them, do you agree with that statement?

I said I could not answer the question because it was a stupid question. I had no idea what it meant or what it referred to, therefore, I could not respond. The interviewer said it referred to whatever I thought it referred to and related to the first question. I repeated it was a question that was impossible to answer since it had no clarity.

The young man called his supervisor. He was told if I could not respond, the interview would have to be terminated. I wanted to hear the questions in the survey so I told him to record NO as my response.

The next questions were demographic questions, that is, where do you live, what is your education level, what is your income level, etc. These questions always occur at the end of a survey.

I asked what had happened to the questions on healthcare. He replied my response to one of the qualifiers generated a skip pattern and so the questions on healthcare were skipped.

The point of all this is that in order to be presented with the entire questionnaire, you needed to respond with a YES to the second qualifying question.

The only people who would respond YES to that question are people who see themselves as victims in almost all circumstances. That would likely mean that they would be ripe to be taken care of especially if the care appears to be free.

http://www.aipnews.com/talk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7247&posts=1

Teetop
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Everything about the Obama Administration is smoke and mirrors. :mad::rolleyes: