PDA

View Full Version : Need help - kids and heroin

Rockntractor
08-19-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6347918

fumsm (269 posts) Wed Aug-19-09 04:08 PM
Original message
Need help - kids and heroin
Found out my kid has been doing heroin. Apparently it is much cheaper and leaves your system quicker than other drugs, such as pot, so it is convenient for kids in school. Kid is now 19, keeps lying that he's done, then I find out he's back at it. Refuses to go to rehab (which will cost me a fortune due to my f'd up health insurance)but I am willing to give up everything to save him. Nothing is working and I can't put him in due to his age.

Anyone else been through this?

Please help!!!
I feel bad for her other than the remark about her health insurance.

Flaneur (495 posts) Wed Aug-19-09 04:34 PM
Response to Reply #2
20. DO NOT talk to the cops. They are not your son's friend.
Explore various treatment options, but recognize that treatment often doesn't work. Recognize also that most drug users grow out of it on their own.

Learn about harm reduction. If he insists on using heroin, he should smoke it, not shoot it, to reduce the risk of overdose and coming down with blood-borne diseases.
What the hell! Might as well buy it for him too!

fumsm (269 posts) Wed Aug-19-09 04:37 PM
Response to Reply #17
22. Thanks!
I am at wits end now. We live in the suburbs, and it seems heroin is the new drug of choice. The number of girls I now know of doing it blows my mind. They are intelligent, beautiful, and very streetwise. I chase the guys friends away, and the girls show up. I've tried everything I can do. Counseling, they put him on suboxin, that was a disaster. There all selling their subs to each other for a high.
Ww are at the point now that if his lips are moving, he's lying. He works, but has no money or anything to show for his efforts. I've taken his car, his cell phone (which is a real big problem due to his ability to find someone instantly) and he's fine for a awhile. Then as he gets things back, he last about two weeks and back at it. I don't know what else to do. We are devastated. He is the oldest of three. Our life this past few month's has been devastated.
It is a strange world.

djones520
08-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Thats a sad situation. The DUmp is definitely not a place I'd go looking for help on this topic though.

Teetop
08-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I have experimented with certain drugs, in my earlier years, but, ....

My oldest brother told me, "If you ever try heroin, I'll kill you myself".

I believed him, and I never have tried it.

I also asked him why he said, what he did.

He told me he got hooked on heroin for two years. So he knew what "it was about".

linda22003
08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
When I was growing up, we only knew about injectable heroin. I never did any drugs that involved needles; I hate shots!

Shannon
08-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Flaneur (495 posts) Wed Aug-19-09 04:34 PM
Response to Reply #2
20. DO NOT talk to the cops. They are not your son's friend.
Explore various treatment options, but recognize that treatment often doesn't work. Recognize also that most drug users grow out of it on their own.

Learn about harm reduction. If he insists on using heroin, he should smoke it, not shoot it, to reduce the risk of overdose and coming down with blood-borne diseases.

WTF? What is wrong with these people?

stsinner
08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
When I was growing up, we only knew about injectable heroin. I never did any drugs that involved needles; I hate shots!

LOL!! My fear of needles saved me, too...

I was amazed to hear from a cop friend of mine that crack is more popular in my small town of 10,000 than marijuana.. Cheaper, too.. What a shame.

movie buff
08-20-2009, 09:23 AM

It could take all day to list everything that's wrong with them!
However, in this case, it is that they, like most ultra- liberals, believe that all police officers are evil, corrupt, racist pigs who are worse than drug dealers.
Hell, maybe Flaneur is one of the boy's dealers!

Gingersnap
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM

No, this is actually sensible advice. The vast majority of heroin users unhook themselves when they are tired of constantly chasing down dealers and never having sex. Putting them into rehab when they seriously don't want to quit just dumps them into an environment with a bunch of other users and they learn new tricks.

The parent should turn the kid out on the street and stop any rescuing activity. The quicker the kid hits bottom, the sooner he'll decide that being a junkie isn't worth it.

From a health standpoint, smoking H is better than shooting it.

Claret1995
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
fumsm (269 posts) Wed Aug-19-09 04:08 PM
Original message
Need help - kids and heroin
Found out my kid has been doing heroin. Apparently it is much cheaper and leaves your system quicker than other drugs, such as pot, so it is convenient for kids in school. Kid is now 19, keeps lying that he's done, then I find out he's back at it. Refuses to go to rehab (which will cost me a fortune due to my f'd up health insurance)but I am willing to give up everything to save him. Nothing is working and I can't put him in due to his age.

Anyone else been through this?

Please help!!!

Massive amounts of CHEETOS

FDK
08-21-2009, 10:50 AM
The parent should turn the kid out on the street and stop any rescuing activity. The quicker the kid hits bottom, the sooner he'll decide that being a junkie isn't worth it.

+1 but that's a VERY hard thing or parents to do. My parents couldn't do it for my brother (put, booze and dropping out of college, not heroin.) Although they tried they just make themselves couldn't go 100%.

And with heroin there's also the risk of the kid ending up dead.

I don't envy those parents and wish them luck.

Sonnabend
08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I have a question.

Where's he getting the money for his fix? Does he have a job....or is he breaking into peoples homes and stealing to feed his habit? :mad:

Gingersnap
08-21-2009, 11:11 AM
+1 but that's a VERY hard thing or parents to do. My parents couldn't do it for my brother (put, booze and dropping out of college, not heroin.) Although they tried they just make themselves couldn't go 100%.

And with heroin there's also the risk of the kid ending up dead.

I don't envy those parents and wish them luck.

It is hard. It's the hardest thing a parent will ever do other than bury a child. If you talk to people who've come out the other side of addiction, they'll tell you that being cut off was the best thing that happened to them. It motivated them to eventually change and to change a lot sooner than they would have done otherwise.

Phillygirl
08-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I do feel bad for this woman. Drug addiction can happen to anyone's child, and it's heart breaking to watch.

Speedy
08-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I taught my daughters to view drug use and people who abuse drugs with utter contempt and well deserved disdain. From a young age they saw the abuse of drugs as something only the weakest of heart would do. I did not raise them feeling that those that used drugs were worthy of any "understanding." You use drugs, you are a piece of shit and you will be seen as nothing more than a piece of shit. Apparently it took. Neither one of my daughters has ever even expirmented with drugs and only the oldest drink on occassion socially.

Jfor
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Speedy, my thoughts exactly. Folks who start to use drugs made a CHOICE. It was not forced on them. No need of my sympathy or my money to help them kick the habit.

Speedy
08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Speedy, my thoughts exactly. Folks who start to use drugs made a CHOICE. It was not forced on them. No need of my sympathy or my money to help them kick the habit.

I wasted over 6 years of my life in prison after getting busted. I have alot of regrets about it, but not a single one of those regrets has anything to do with selling to people a product they sought me out to sell them.