PDA

View Full Version : I think Scotland did an acceptable thing

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6358027

Stinky The Clown (1000+ posts) Thu Aug-20-09 07:50 PM
Original message
I think Scotland did an acceptable thing. You may now come and kick my ass.
Yes, it is easy for me to not feel the same outrage as survivors of the Lockerbie terrorist action. It is all abstract to me.

Yes, they guy that did it (if he did it) is lower and nastier than whale smegma.

Yes, this whole episode may be the UK pandering for oil. But the record is clear. Scotland has done this 23 out of 27 times it has been requested (or something very close to that).

Compassion is, to me, a liberal value. And I'm a liberal.

I am not saying anyone is wrong to feel otherwise. To feel outrage. This is a near dichotomy, this freeing of a terrorist for no better reason than human compassion.

I never liked the biblical quote "vengeance is mine sayeth the lord".

I'm a sap. Kick my ass if you must.

This poster sounds familiar!:cool:

Zathras
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
And, of course, there are very few at the DUmp who disagree with this decision and the few that do are ridiculed.

You'll never find a more wreched hive of scum and villany than the DUmp.

Sonnabend
08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I never liked the biblical quote "vengeance is mine sayeth the lord".

I'm a sap. Kick my ass if you must.

Go to Lockerbie and say that OUT LOUD in the main square. I am certain the people there will oblige you.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6358027

This poster sounds familiar!:cool:

Well of course, he's a dumbass. :D

That's old Hubs2Sparkly after a DU name change.

FlaGator
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM

I think that Tractor may have been referencing me...

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2009, 10:29 PM

LOL! I was being diplomatic...:D

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I was but I'm not being mean. I respect you for how you believe.

FlaGator
08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I was but I'm not being mean. I respect you for how you believe.

I did not take offense. I understand that my views seem extreme to some, but I try my best to live them and be true to them. A lot of this relates to my research on evil and I view hatred and anger as manifestations of evil and it is my duty as a citizen of the Kingdom of God to not pass evil on to another. One does not end violence with violent actions so one can not stop hatred by hating.

JB
08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Compassion is, to me, a liberal value. And I'm a liberal.You're supposed to have compassion for the vics, not the perps. Fooking liberals are so upside down.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit that ball-less made this DU OP.

FlaGator
08-22-2009, 08:24 AM
You're supposed to have compassion for the vics, not the perps. Fooking liberals are so upside down.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit that ball-less made this DU OP.

Why not have compassion for everyone involved?

djones520
08-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Why not have compassion for everyone involved?

There are some things that people do that they can not be forgiven for. No shown compassion for. This is one of those. I'm sorry FlaGator, but IMO your heart is in the wrong place here.

This man had no shred of compassion in his soul, and none should ever be shown for him.

FlaGator
08-22-2009, 01:27 PM
There are some things that people do that they can not be forgiven for. No shown compassion for. This is one of those. I'm sorry FlaGator, but IMO your heart is in the wrong place here.

This man had no shred of compassion in his soul, and none should ever be shown for him.

God tells me my heart is in the right place so I'll stick with his opinion. :)

The lack of compassion of the individual in question does not negate a kind act shown to him. The point of things like compassion is that generally the people who receive it don't deserve it. If they deserved it then you would be obligated to show compassion but you are not. It is a gift you choose to give or withhold.

Say you give someone a gift. If they really like it does that make your action better? If they don't want it does that make the act less valuable? Compassion says more about the person who shows it than it does for the one who receives it, but both benefit from the act.

To show him no compassion make you no different from him. I don't mean you literally, I am sure you are a much better person, but mercy is one of the few ways in which we can immitate the Creator (I know you don't believe but humor me ;)). If God can show compassion to me when I was a miserable excuse for a human then I should be able to do the same for others. Kind of a spiritual random act of kindness.

djones520
08-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Mercy was shown to him by letting him live, something he denied to all his victims.

That does not mean he needs to be allowed to roam free, and to be treated as a hero as he is now.

FlaGator
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Mercy was shown to him by letting him live, something he denied to all his victims.

That does not mean he needs to be allowed to roam free, and to be treated as a hero as he is now.

To a large degree I agree with you but the act of compassion has little to do with the deserving nature (or lack of) of the recepient.

MoshMasterD
08-22-2009, 04:56 PM

AKA Ol' Fred Sanford, the man who faked a heart attack.

michaelsean
08-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Doesn't a life sentence imply you will die in prison? What's the difference if it's now or in thirty years?