PDA

View Full Version : Feverish Friday

linda22003
08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
It will be hot and sticky in the DC area today, with possible monsoon rains in the afternoon.

TOTD: You're a member of Congress. The Health Care bill has to be completely reworked. There is going to be a health care bill; you can't just scuttle it completely. What one item would you put in it - a must-have?

For me, I think it would be the ban on pre-existing conditions. My husband and I have been lucky so far - "no lumps yet" - but that luck can't last forever.

Crystal Wizard
08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Overcast here in New England with thunderstorms later today. Finished my last gig yesterday and onto a new one in NJ on Monday. Going to drive to this one as well, as it's in northern NJ so not worth flying into Newark :eek: and renting a car there.

TOTD: I like your choice. If I added another, it would be tort reform to cap the pain and suffering component of medical malpractice suits.

Shannon
08-21-2009, 08:46 AM
It's hot. I was late to work because a church burned down last night and the road is still closed. I'm always looking for signs from Him so I'm wondering what He was trying to tell me there.

TOTD: I don't know. Why does there have to be a health care bill?

Rebel Yell
08-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Hot and sticky. Can't y'all just assume that on all my TOTD post?

TOTD: Working in insurance, I'd say CW hit the nail on the head. Tort reform would lower malpractice premiums, which would lower doctor's fees, which would lower health premiums.

Banning limitations on pre existing conditions would increase the costs incurred by insurers, which would drive up the cost on premiums for everyone.

Shannon
08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Now the computer system at work has crashed. I think I was supposed to stay in bed this morning.

linda22003
08-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Banning limitations on pre existing conditions would increase the costs incurred by insurers, which would drive up the cost on premiums for everyone.

Exactly, which is why it would be key to have a wider base of insured, including the younger and healthier people. This would have to be part of more nearly "universal" coverage. Hell, we have to get it on our cars....

Gingersnap
08-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Another beautiful day here in Colorful Colorado. We'll have seasonal temps over the weekend and then another cool down. I made a killer beef shish kebab last night.

TOTD: I like both of the first two proposals and I'd add an immediate ban on any restrictions prohibiting enrollment in health insurance plans across state lines. If the company operates in the U.S. and is willing to enroll people from every state or territory they ought to be able to do so. No more regional monopolies.

Rebel Yell
08-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Exactly, which is why it would be key to have a wider base of insured, including the younger and healthier people. This would have to be part of more nearly "universal" coverage. Hell, we have to get it on our cars....

That would help keep the premiums down, but I don't like the idea of being forced to carry insurance. It'd help my wallet out tremendously, commissions and all, but I still don't like it.

linda22003
08-21-2009, 09:58 AM
That would help keep the premiums down, but I don't like the idea of being forced to carry insurance. It'd help my wallet out tremendously, commissions and all, but I still don't like it.

I've never been willing to risk NOT having insurance, although my health has been good so far. It's always been provided through employers, I've always paid whatever my share is, and it's completely normal to me.

Rebel Yell
08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I've never been willing to risk NOT having insurance, although my health has been good so far. It's always been provided through employers, I've always paid whatever my share is, and it's completely normal to me.

Just because it is a good thing to have doesn't mean it should be forced on people.

linda22003
08-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Just because it is a good thing to have doesn't mean it should be forced on people.

Given your attitude about seat belts, I guess I shouldn't ask if you have "forced" car insurance.

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Because of the direction the government has forced the economy I will have to choose between making house payments or paying for their mandatory health insurance. The IRS will fine me at the end of the year for not having health insurance. I will not have the money to pay their fine so than they wil come to put me in jail. I am not just walking into one of their prisons!

linda22003
08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Because of the direction the government has forced the economy I will have to choose between making house payments or paying for their mandatory health insurance. The IRS will fine me at the end of the year for not having health insurance. I will not have the money to pay their fine so than they wil come to put me in jail. I am not just walking into one of their prisons!

Well, then, in terms of the TOTD, what would you want to see in a health care bill, to mitigate this problem?

Crystal Wizard
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM

We don't have debtors' prisons. The IRS can't put you in jail for not having the money to pay your taxes.

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, then, in terms of the TOTD, what would you want to see in a health care bill, to mitigate this problem?

I want them to stay out of my @##$$$%%^^&& dam health care business!

Rebel Yell
08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Given your attitude about seat belts, I guess I shouldn't ask if you have "forced" car insurance.

"Forced" car insurance is just liability in the state of Ga. All you are required by law to carry is to protect the other drivers, not youself.

BadCat
08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
"Forced" car insurance is just liability in the state of Ga. All you are required by law to carry is to protect the other drivers, not youself.

Re: Your sig line.

Who uses the missionary position?

Chez dull.

aerojarod
08-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Oh, you mean kind of like sexy time?

RobJohnson
08-21-2009, 03:00 PM
High of 110 today. Yesterday my mom had to take her cat to the vet, it was pretty serious (urinary infection & cat could not urinate) but things seem to be better today. The cat was in so much pain she was pulling her hair out with her teeth. So by the time I got home yesterday I was pretty worn out...first work, then the cat thing...I'm glad I don't have any pets or KIDS. :)

I'm glad the cat is going to be ok, I was pretty worried also.T

I'm having a diagnostic ultrasound tomorrow, so I have to remember to fast at work tonight. That might suck! I also need a chest x-ray, I must be getting old! The doctor is just trying to track down the source of some uncomfortable pain(s) It took three weeks just to get the prior authorization (speaking of health care) to have it done...I'm sure it would be worse if we went national.

TOTD: I'm with Shannon, why does there have to be a health care bill? Tort reform does not excite me either, as insurance premiums always increase at a faster pace then claims....even with tort reform, there usually is not much savings for the doctors.

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
We don't have debtors' prisons. The IRS can't put you in jail for not having the money to pay your taxes.

Oh of course! The IRS has never put anyone in a federal prison!

Crystal Wizard
08-21-2009, 10:44 PM

They have not put anyone in prison for not being able to pay their taxes. Now, if you fail to file or if you file a false return, they certainly will. But if you file a return that says you owe them money, they cannot put you in prison for it.

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
They have not put anyone in prison for not being able to pay their taxes. Now, if you fail to file or if you file a false return, they certainly will. But if you file a return that says you owe them money, they cannot put you in prison for it.

They will confiscate everything you own and if you resist they will imprison you!

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2009, 10:56 PM

They can take everything away from their prey. I remember a neighbor years ago who had a construction biz. Apparently he didn't pay all his taxes. I remember the car towed off, the boat gone, then the house taken over. This was long before the time of mass foreclosures.

The IRS can be very, very nasty.

Oops, just submitted my post and see that Rockn said the same thing, but more succinctly. :D

Crystal Wizard
08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
They can take everything away from their prey. I remember a neighbor years ago who had a construction biz. Apparently he didn't pay all his taxes. I remember the car towed off, the boat gone, then the house taken over. This was long before the time of mass foreclosures.

All of those things are true. However, they cannot put you in jail if you've filed accurately.

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Oops, just submitted my post and see that Rockn said the same thing, but more succinctly. :D

But you put it into real life!:)

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2009, 10:59 PM
All of those things are true. However, they cannot put you in jail if you've filed accurately.

I'm not commenting on jail, just saying they're very nasty folks who'd extract the gold fillings out of one's mouth if they thought they could get away from them. I sell to the feds, but always avoid calling on them. Even a sales rep has some principles. :D

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I've been honest and payed my taxes all my life but the thought of being forced to buy health insurance when I don't have the money or having the IRS force a fine on me is more than I will take. If they do that I may be taking an early dirt nap!

Gingersnap
08-21-2009, 11:05 PM

True but the fallout can be pretty horrific. My family wasn't always exactly truthful with the IRS (what ranchers are, really?). I was present when the IRS searched our home for "assets". We had already transported everything of value to relatives, friends, and other IRS-haters.

They took our dining room table set - seriously. They didn't take the dogs because the dogs didn't have AKC papers even though they were full breeds. They actually looked for the dog papers. :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2009, 11:42 PM
True but the fallout can be pretty horrific. My family wasn't always exactly truthful with the IRS (what ranchers are, really?). I was present when the IRS searched our home for "assets". We had already transported everything of value to relatives, friends, and other IRS-haters.

They took our dining room table set - seriously. They didn't take the dogs because the dogs didn't have AKC papers even though they were full breeds. They actually looked for the dog papers. :rolleyes:

As I said, they're cold blooded blankety blanks. Can't believe they took the furniture.

I was only a few years out of college when I saw the IRS strip that poor guy next door of all his possessions. Always will remember the couple and their little kids sitting on their front porch, with everything taken away.

I'm always extremely conservative with my tax returns, will take no chances. I probably overpay, but don't want them intruding into my life.

lacarnut
08-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that I do not get audited. After my dad had a stroke, I took care of his financial affairs and moved funds around to pay sitters and medical bills.