PDA

View Full Version : Man tries to vacuum bee hive, gets attacked

megimoo
08-21-2009, 11:34 AM
PHOENIX An elderly man is in critical condition after being attacked by a swarm of bees Wednesday as he tried to use a vacuum to suck them up.

At about 6 p.m., the Phoenix Fire Department's Emergency Medical Services said they responded to the scene of the attack near 32nd Street and Indian School Road.

Captain Dorian Jackson of the Phoenix Fire Department said the 85-year-old man tried to vacuum the entire hive in a tree outside his home. Jackson said the victim suffered between 50 and 75 stings on his face alone.

When firefighters and medical personnel arrived at the scene, they tried to walk with the victim to get him away from the bees, but the bees continued to attack for two-city blocks, according to Dorian.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Dorian said it's extremely important that when people come into contact with a hive on their property, they should contact professional extinguishers and not attempt to get rid of the hive themselves.Firefighters used foam to extinguish the bees.

The attack was the second time Phoenix firefighters responded to a serious bee attack Wednesday.
An 81-year-old woman is also in critical condition after she was attacked by bees near 33rd Avenue and Cactus Road.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/central/story/Phoenix-FD-Man-tries-to-vacuum-bee-hive-gets/swc7SYoRfUqAL9pqEtTPsg.cspx

aerojarod
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
That sucks.

NJCardFan
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Obviously Africanized killer bees. These things are vicious. The fire department should have called in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrSOFyfxs

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I cut a tree down four years ago that was hollow. When It hit the ground the bees came out in a thick cloud and completely covered me except my face and head (I was wearing a steel mesh face shield for saw protection). I was stung at least a hundred times probably more. A neighbor saw what happened and ran over close to me and I told him to get a garden hose. He sprayed me with the garden hose and got the bees off me but not without getting stung himself. I was sick for about three days and when I went back over to the customers house the bees had moved back into the log. We called animal control and several city offices with out any results. I dressed up in my winter insulated overalls with my head covered and the steel mesh face shield. I mixed up some Lorsban very strong and filled the sprayer. I sprayed myself first and went over and kicked the log. The bees came out thick and I sprayed them as they exited.I killed all of them except the ones that were out getting honey. I then took the chain saw and split the log length wise. I was still wearing insulated overalls and it was in the 90's so I tried to work fast. I got all the honey with comb out of the log and put it in containers.By now the bees were returning from the Fields and attacking me again so i sprayed the log and the remainder of the swarm and killed every dam one of them. I still have a little honey left.

Gingersnap
08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
At least you didn't try to use a vacuum on them. :eek:

Rockntractor
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
At least you didn't try to use a vacuum on them. :eek:

One other thing; I always have benadryl along with me. I took some immediately!

jinxmchue
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
There was a nest of something in the ground at work once. I didn't look close enough to see if it was bees or wasps. I was able to maneuver a garden hose down the opening from several feet away and drowned the little bastards. Plus the opening filled with mud. We haven't seen any activity in that spot since.