PDA

View Full Version : The End: the best movie endings ever, from E.T. to Casablanca

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 10:34 AM
The End: the best movie endings ever, from E.T. to Casablanca (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article4302890.ece)

As usual I have only seen a handful but thought you movies buffs might like this. Go to the site for the full description. I got this from Betsy Newmark and I agree with hers:

I'd add in Godfather I as the doors close on Diane Keaton as she watches them kiss Michael's hand and realizes that her husband is the new Godfather.

1. Carrie
2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
3. Casablanca
4. E. T.
5. Chinatown
6. Breakfast at Tiffanys
7.Some Like it Hot
8. The Italian Job
9. The Usual Suspects
10. The Sixth Sense
11. Thelma and Lousiia
12. Wizard of Oz
13. Les Diaboliques
14. Doctor Strangelove
15.Gone With the Wind
16.Shawshank Redemption
17. Planet of the Apes
18. Memento
19. The Blair Witch Project
20 Se7ven

I still love the ending of "The Sting"

Shannon
07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Carrie got #1? It was a decent flick but best movie ending ever? I think not.

Eyelids
07-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Dr. Strangelove should be #1.

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM

It's on Lifetime right now.

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Some Like it Hot is on TCM.

megimoo
07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Carrie got #1? It was a decent flick but best movie ending ever? I think not.Have you seen 'In Bruges' with Farrell,Fiennes and Gleeson ?

Servonaut
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Some of my favorites

Jaws

One flew over the Cuckoo's nest

Friday Night Lights

DarkScribe
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Agreed. And what? No Raiders of the Lost Ark? That was a freakin' GREAT ending!!!

ralph wiggum
07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
The Usual Suspects has a great ending twist. I was floored when I saw it in the theater, I never saw it coming. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but you all should have seen it by now. :D

Shannon
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
The Usual Suspects has a great ending twist. I was floored when I saw it in the theater, I never saw it coming. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but you all should have seen it by now. :D

I am rarely surprised by movie endings. I had The Sixth Sense figured out very early on. The Usual Suspects got me though. I never saw that coming.

Tantal
07-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Lone Star with Matthew McConoughey, Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Pena, and Kris Kristofferson. Serious spork alert though.

jinxmchue
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
The End: the best movie endings ever, from E.T. to Casablanca (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article4302890.ece)

As usual I have only seen a handful but thought you movies buffs might like this. Go to the site for the full description. I got this from Betsy Newmark and I agree with hers:

1. Carrie
2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
3. Casablanca
4. E. T.
5. Chinatown
6. Breakfast at Tiffanys
7.Some Like it Hot
8. The Italian Job
9. The Usual Suspects
10. The Sixth Sense
11. Thelma and Lousiia
12. Wizard of Oz
13. Les Diaboliques
14. Doctor Strangelove
15.Gone With the Wind
16.Shawshank Redemption
17. Planet of the Apes
18. Memento
19. The Blair Witch Project
20 Se7ven

I still love the ending of "The Sting"

No "Return of the King?" What idiot wrote that list up?

lurkalot
07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Dirty Dancing "Nobody puts Baby in the corner"..still makes me get all teary
Animal House....the perfect revenge

biccat
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
I am rarely surprised by movie endings. I had The Sixth Sense figured out very early on. The Usual Suspects got me though. I never saw that coming.
What about Blazing Saddles?

Goldwater
07-13-2008, 11:40 PM

That is an amazing ending and movie in general.

Shannon
07-13-2008, 11:45 PM

I've never seen it. I know, I know.

Full-Auto
07-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I thought the ending to Titanic was good... shocking... total surprise... but good.

LibraryLady
07-14-2008, 11:35 PM
I thought the ending to Titanic was good... shocking... total surprise... but good.

I still haven't seen it so don't tell me.

CLibertarian
07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I've never seen it. I know, I know.

Live under a rock?:p

noonwitch
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Live under a rock?:p

That's all right, I've never seen ET. Neither has my brother. We were 17 and 19 when it came out and had no desire to see it then, and have never desired to see it since.

linda22003
07-15-2008, 12:04 PM

It sank. If you were totally surprised, think how the people who were on it felt. :D

Theophilus
07-15-2008, 02:39 PM
A River Runs Through It

Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.

Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.

ConJinx
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Pink Floyd's "The Wall"

Molon Labe
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Birdy (1984)

This is a really obscure movie...but "Birdy" with Nicholas Cage and Mathew Modine has one my all time favorite endings. It's not for everyone, but it still makes me smile everytime I see it.

I couldn't believe somone actually mentioned it at the site for this thread.

movie buff
07-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd never seen the original 'The Italian Job,' but I really liked the ending of the newer version with Mark Wahlberg, where you see each of the guys enjoying what they chose to do with their shares of the money.

Theophilus
07-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Would the ending of the Mini-Series Lonsome Dove count?

Not really a movie per se.

gator
07-15-2008, 06:38 PM
No Country for Old Men

LogansPapa
07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
That's all right, I've never seen ET. Neither has my brother. We were 17 and 19 when it came out and had no desire to see it then, and have never desired to see it since.

communist.:cool:

LibraryLady
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Would the ending of the Mini-Series Lonsome Dove count?

Not really a movie per se.

Someone on the original site asked if they could name The Newhart Show!

LogansPapa
07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974)

ralph wiggum
07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Someone on the original site asked if they could name The Newhart Show!

You have to admit, it was a good twist.

nightflight
07-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I love the ending of "Spun".

whoooosh!

Dharma Bum
07-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Good call on Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. The Sands of Iwo Jima. The Searchers has the best end shot. Excaliber. Most Peter North movies have good endings, the mans a master.

Shannon
07-16-2008, 08:07 AM
No Country for Old Men

That ending sucked.

Odysseus
07-18-2008, 01:07 PM

It's a great movie, but I always thought that the ending was the lamest part. Not awful, just weaker than the rest of the movie.

I used to work with one of those people who absolutely refused to let anyone talk about a movie that he planned to see within earshot because he hated spoilers. When Titanic came out, I tried to tell him that it was playing at the local IMAX theater, but he wouldn't even let me tell him that. Finally, I got fed up with him and told him that the boat sank. Ruined the ending for him. :D

Goldwater
07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
That ending sucked.

You go Shirley, I agree.

marinejcksn
07-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Personally, I love the ending to "Gotti". Armand Assante standing there as John Gotti in prison serving a life sentence, voiceover monologue where he's talking about the state of Organized Crime. It's really poetic, he's giving a statement about America in general that really hits home, especially now.

"Yeah so you humble me. What you got now? You got a war. You got a global war. You got the Chinks, you got the Dominicans, the Asians, the Russians, the Columbians, Jamaicans. What they doin? They desecrate the nation. You got your variable snowstorms of cocaine, smack -- whatever the hell else they shove in their veins. You got a worldwide crime syndicate now. There's no rules. There's no parameters. There's no feelings. There's no feelings for this country.

You got anarchy. So... 5-10 years from now, they're gonna wish there was an American Cosa Nostra. 5-10 years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti."

Classic.

movie buff
07-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Also, I thought 'Enchanted' had a pretty good ending.

marinejcksn
07-19-2008, 06:19 AM
You go Shirley, I agree.

Whaaa? I originally wasn't happy with the ending either, mainly because Josh Brolin is the MAN and I wanted to see an epic showdown. But on the second viewing I really grew to appreciate the ending. It's brilliant in my opinion.

BUT, i totally know why people hate it. I did myself for a while and you should've seen how mad my DAD got! haha! I watched it with him the week I left for Iraq, he loved it until the ending and then was pissed off the rest of the night.:p

biccat
07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
It's a great movie, but I always thought that the ending was the lamest part. Not awful, just weaker than the rest of the movie.
I agree that it was a weak ending. But it was definitely nothing you could have guessed at. I'm pretty sure even Shannon would be surprised by the ending.