PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Dumbest/Smartest Dog Breeds

SarasotaRepub
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not surprised at some of the "winners" (http://cbs2chicago.com/slideshows/smartest.dumbest.dogs.20.696673.html)...:D

Hounds don't fair well in the list! :D

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm not surprised at some of the "winners" (http://cbs2chicago.com/slideshows/smartest.dumbest.dogs.20.696673.html)...:D

Hounds don't fair well in the list! :D
That's because hounds are way too smart to obey people who tell them to sit or fetch a stick. Hounds, like elkhounds, make greyt independent hunters. Greyhounds run races w/o a tiny jockey on their backs. They make their own decisions on how to run the race.

Anyone can have a dog who obeys blindly. I've always loved those independent hound dogs. :D (could this be an excuse? hmmm, maybe). :p

Shannon
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I can't believe poodles are considered the second smartest.:eek: Cockers weren't on either list so I guess my dog is "normal".

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I can't believe poodles are considered the second smartest.:eek: Cockers weren't on either list so I guess my dog is "normal".

Actually wasn't surprised with poodles. I thought they'd be the smartest. Long ago I had a stubborn little schnauzer named Schnapps. I thought I'd obedience train him---started at 7. It was an exercise in futility, a clash of wills. But then I got an obedience title, CD, on his son, the Count.

Those darned poodles took first place in the majority of the contests. They're smart as a whip, but stubborn in their own ways (like house training).

I guess cockers and greyhounds are normal---neither are on the list.

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 12:47 PM
#1 Smartest: The Border Collie
#2 Smartest: The Poodle
#3 Smartest: The German Shepherd
#4 Smartest: The Golden Retriever
#5 Smartest: The Doberman Pinscher
#6 Smartest: The Shetland Sheepdog
#7 Smartest: The Labrador Retriever
#8 Smartest: The Papillon
#9 Smartest: The Rottweiler
#10 Smartest: The Australian Cattle Dog

#1 Dumbest: The Afghan Hound
#2 Dumbest: The Basenji
#3 Dumbest: The Bulldog
#4 Dumbest: The Chow Chow
#5 Dumbest: The Borzois
#6 Dumbest: The Bloodhound
#7 Dumbest: The Pekingese
#8 Dumbest: The Mastiff
#9 Dumbest: The Beagle
#10 Dumbest: The Basset Hound

Took me forever to find a written list.

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
#1 Smartest: The Border Collie
#2 Smartest: The Poodle
#3 Smartest: The German Shepherd
#4 Smartest: The Golden Retriever
#5 Smartest: The Doberman Pinscher
#6 Smartest: The Shetland Sheepdog
#7 Smartest: The Labrador Retriever
#8 Smartest: The Papillon
#9 Smartest: The Rottweiler
#10 Smartest: The Australian Cattle Dog

#1 Dumbest: The Afghan Hound
#2 Dumbest: The Basenji
#3 Dumbest: The Bulldog
#4 Dumbest: The Chow Chow
#5 Dumbest: The Borzois
#6 Dumbest: The Bloodhound
#7 Dumbest: The Pekingese
#8 Dumbest: The Mastiff
#9 Dumbest: The Beagle
#10 Dumbest: The Basset Hound

Took me forever to find a written list.
Bless you, LL, you're the best. :)

I was looking for that list. I'll admit the Afghan Hound, although beautiful, isn't the sharpest knive in the drawer. Glad my greys weren't on the stupid list. I see Ginger's shelties are on the brightest list.

I'd like to find the criteria of that doggie intelligence test. I remember reading the last time one of those lists was published that it mostly related to obedience training. I'll admit it's darned difficult to train a hound dog. When I had the Norwegian elkhounds, there was a big article in an Elkie breed book trumpeting the fact that an elkie finally had won an obedience title.

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Never satisfied!;) Here you go:

In order to find the smartest breeds in the world, scientists tested each breed based on learning a series of new commands. Breeds were then ranked according to how many repetitions it took to for them to understand and obey the first command. Your top 10 are breeds that obeyed the command with a 95% accuracy rate after only 5 repetitions. And donít feel bad is your dog didnít make the top 10 because my giant goof came in with a 6 way ties at number 34 which means he needed 15-25 repetitions and only obeyed the first command with 70% accuracy.

Smartest Dogs

1. Border Collie: This breed is number one because their sole purpose in life is to have some sort of a job and be with their humans exercising.
2. Poodle: This breed is very smart, loves their humans and will work to keep them safe when needed.
3. German shepherd: This breed is also really smart and needs to have some sort of a job while at home. They also love being with their humans.
4. Golden Retriever: This breed is all around wonderful! Not only are they smart but they are sweet and gentle too.
5. Doberman Pinscher: Besides being very intelligent, this breed is also very loyal to and protective of their owners.
6. Shetland Sheepdog: Although this breed is closer to the ground than the above mentioned, these sheep herders are the personification of intelligence and concentration.
7. Labrador Retriever: This breed is smart and keeps its mind sharp with regular exercise and work- indoors or outdoors.
8. Papillon: The smallest dog in the top ten, this breed is intelligent but can be moody and is very possessive of its owners.
9. Rottweiler: This breed is gentle, intelligent, reliable, and very courageous!
10. Australian Cattle Dog: This smart breed loves to be outside working and protecting their property/

DarkScribe
07-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Wait...didya see the Most Psychotic Breeds list yet?:p

Tantal
07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
My Bullmastiff isn't dumb, just stubborn. If you throw a stick, she will not go get it. It isn't that she doesn't know what to do, it's just that she's decided not to do it.

SarasotaRepub
07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
My Bullmastiff isn't dumb, just stubborn. If you throw a stick, she will not go get it. It isn't that she doesn't know what to do, it's just that she's decided not to do it.

I wouldn't tell a Bullmastiff to do anything. :D

Jumpy
07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
When I was breed shopping, I wanted a smart dog. Papillon was my first pick. Cute, small.. blah blah... I ended up with a Corgi. I think he is #11 on the list for smarts. Cute.. smallish..
That said,I think a "smarter" dog might be more of a challenge.. You cannot trick them into thinking you have treats for them if you are just trying to catch them. They will chase anything that moves.

If I ever go breed shopping again, I might start at the bottom of the list. hehe.

Tantal
07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't tell a Bullmastiff to do anything. :D
Just a big bucket-o-love.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Tantal88/fam082-1.jpg

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
As I said before, the truly smart dogs just don't blindly obey. :D They are too smart to go chasing a silly stick.

BTW, good to see you here again. :)