PDA

View Full Version : Surviving Disaster. This Looks Interesting!

Speedy
08-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Spike TV is debuting it's new series Surviving Disaster September 1st. It looks like a very well produced show and may actually save your life. The first show is on surviving a airplane hijacking. There is a Sneak Peek of the first episode on the Spike Tv website. I learned one interested tidbit already from the preview. Did you know that the protocol is now to shoot down hijacked aircraft?

Since 9-11 hijacked aircraft are considered terrorist weapons and will be shot down. So if you ever find yourself aboard a commandeered plane, your goose is cooked unless your fellow passengers take command of the aircraft.

Anyway, the preview is here (http://www.spike.com/video/sneak-peek-airplane/3228447).

stsinner
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
That looks interesting.. The Colony is a good show on Discovery that chronicles the survival of 10 participants in a post-apocalyptic world where there is no electricity or running water.. They cordoned several square miles outside of L.A. to film it.. I'm surprised at the resourcefulness of the participants.. . The men rig up a couple of car alternators to a pressure washer motor to make electricity, then weld a structure to hold solar panels and even design a tracking system for the solar array to track the sun in order to receive full sunlight all day.. It's pretty interesting.. A professor even creates a water purification filter by stacking alternating charcoal/sand/charcoal/sand in a 55-gallon barrel with a catch basin underneath it for purifying water out of the L.A. River.. They then boil the water to purify it and make it potable.

Funny thought I had while watching it-the point is to see if these colonists could rebuild society after everything is wiped out... In order to do this it means that they would have to breed... Setting aside the obvious awkwardness of breeding to replenish mankind, what about the filthy conditions they are living in and would have to deliver a baby in-what would the baby eat, etc..... Lots of strange things like that would have to be worked out..

Speedy
08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I watch The Colony also and I was heartened in a way when they introduced the "outsiders" and the colonists became more of a tribe and kicked them out.

stsinner
08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I watch The Colony also and I was heartened in a way when they introduced the "outsiders" and the colonists became more of a tribe and kicked them out.

That Asian chick sounded like an 8 year old kid when told that there were rules... But that big black guy would have mopped the floor with every one of those colonists... They're lucky he was instructed to not hurt them! He was MASSIVE!!!

Speedy
09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
This show premires tonight. Just a reminder for those interested.

Gingersnap
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
This show premires tonight. Just a reminder for those interested.

Tell us how it went.