PDA

View Full Version : Sunblock May Cause Horrifying Diseases.

Gingersnap
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Suncream may be linked to Alzheimer's disease, say experts

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:24 PM on 24th August 2009

Suncream stops millions of people each year from burning their skin, but scientists are now looking for a link between suncream and Alzheimer's disease.

The frightening possibility of Alzheimer's disease being induced by suncream is being investigated by academics.

Millions of British holidaymakers use block to protect their skin from the sun every year.

Now the University of Ulster says two of its experts have been awarded 350,000 by the European Union to explore the possible links between the suncream and the brain disease.

They are leading a groundbreaking three-year research project into whether human engineered nanoparticles, such as those found in sunscreen, can induce neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
It follows a 2003 study by British doctors that found some leading brands of sunscreen lotions failed to stop the sun's damaging rays penetrating the skin.

They recommended staying out of the sun or covering up when outside as the best way to protect against skin cancer.

Professor Vyvyan Howard, a pathologist and toxicologist, and Dr Christian Holster, an expert in Alzheimer's, are conducting the latest research as part of a worldwide project called NeuroNano.

The University of Ulster experts will be specifically looking at nanoparticles present in chemicals found in sunscreens and an additive in some diesel fuels - titanium dioxide and cerium oxide - and their connection to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

More...Low-factor suncreams 'should be banned', health experts warn

Professor Howard said: 'There is now firm evidence that some engineered nanoparticles entering intravenously or via lungs can reach the brains of small animals.

'Indeed they lodge in almost all parts of the brain and there are no efficient clearance mechanisms to remove them once there.'

Interesting.

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1208720/Suncream-linked-Alzheimers-disease-say-experts.html)

FeebMaster
08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh shit. Lewis Black was right.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/lewis-black/tracks/ozone-sunblock-the-flu-and-nyquil--12871985

NJCardFan
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
So, it comes down to skin cancer or Alzheimers.

patriot45
08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I've never used sunblock, I have natural sun block, hair! :D Plus I exude olive oil, I am basted out in the sun!

My poor blond wife and her danish blood can't go out without a big sun hat and spf 80!!

And in other news.... Bacon is good for you! :D

Jumpy
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Unless I have a full day in the sun, I skip the sunblock and enjoy the vitamin D.

Gingersnap
08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=FeebMaster;177884]Oh shit. Lewis Black was right.[QUOTE]

Unless you're Goth.

Rockntractor
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Unless you're Goth.

You probably can't tan or you break out with massive freckles!

Freckles are hot!

Gingersnap
08-24-2009, 10:34 PM
You probably can't tan or you break out with massive freckles!

Freckles are hot!

This isn't about my supposed hotness - this is news. Or fear-mongering. Either way, my skin tone is not an issue. :mad:

:D

Rockntractor
08-24-2009, 10:35 PM
This isn't about my supposed hotness - this is news. Or fear-mongering. Either way, my skin tone is not an issue. :mad:

:D
You have freckles don't you sweet thing!:D

Gingersnap
08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
You have freckles don't you sweet thing!:D

You need to feed a goat or something about now. :p

Rockntractor
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
You need to feed a goat or something about now. :p

I just did they're all in bed. So you tan under a screen door huh!

Gingersnap
08-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I just did their all in bed. So you tan under a screen door huh!

I tan courtesy of L'Oreal. :cool: