PDA

View Full Version : Health Reform Supporter Shows Up At Protest With Revolver in Arizona

Carol
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
link (http://http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6382056)

RamboLiberal (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 04:40 PM
Original message
Health Reform Supporter Shows Up At Protest With Revolver in Arizona
Edited on Mon Aug-24-09 04:45 PM by RamboLiberal
Over the weekend, yet another Arizonan came to a tea party health care protest with a gun.

But this time, it was a vocal backer of the Dems' health care reform plan.

A man who will identify himself only as Josh, pictured below, told TPMmuckraker he came with two friends to the anti-reform demonstration near the office of Rep. Harry Mitchell (D-AZ) on Saturday.

Asked why he brought the .38 revolver to the event, Josh, noting he was within his rights under Arizona's open carry law, asked, "Why not?"

"I carry a firearm with me on a regular basis, so it wasn't completely out of the norm to have it. But part of it was in response to" the recent shows of arms-bearing by anti-reform protesters outside Obama events.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/08/healt... DU liberals are as clueless as ever. They can only see their own viewpoint.

SteppingRazor (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 04:43 PM
Response to Original message
1. Hmmm ... I'm of two minds about this.
On the one hand, I understand the desire for protection when walking into a place filled with armed people who hate you and everything you stand for. Too, I understand that going strapped amid these people mocks them in an ironic sort of way.

But at the same time, I can't help but think that this is sort of a weird form of brinkmanship, and that's certainly a bad idea.
Jennicut (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 05:16 PM
Response to Reply #1
12. I'm with you. It may make their heads explode but it could easily escalate
into a ego-driven violent incident. I haven't seen or heard of a single conservative head explode over something like this---I have however heard and seen many liberal heads explode over it.

They do it so they think we would too.

Mz Pip (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 04:45 PM
3. That must have confused the hell
out of the teabaggers.

I have somewhat sarcastically suggested this when these rw gunners started showing up at Obama events. It's not as though there are no liberals in this country with guns.
Confused? How so? So what. Some liberals carrry and use guns. It that supposed to be a big secret, or something they think we don't know?

DailyGrind51 (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 05:02 PM
7. Two can play the intimidation game!

damntexdem (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 05:08 PM
9. Oh great, now they can have a gunfight, maybe at the not-OK Corral.
Keep the guns away from protest meetings. Outlaw guns at protest meetings. It's just not a good idea to have guns at such events.

immoderate (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 08:38 PM
Response to Reply #9
19. Packing weapons sort of decries the whole purpose of town meetings.
This is like wearing weapons to a peace conference, particularly since this is just a display. It displays the wrong message.

I see this as part of the "whip up the crazies" campaign. Somebody will be emboldened enough to take a shot at the president.

And for the record, I'm a gun owner.

old mark (1000+ posts) Mon Aug-24-09 06:02 PM
13. Great idea. We need several thousand more like him to show up
at every RW function, meeting, ass scratching contest, whatever they have.Let them see a lot of armed Democrats/liberals.

Might give them something to think about, if they can actually do that.
I have carried a gun every day - legally - for 15 years and have never gotten into an "ego driven" confrontation. It's fucking insulting to even suggest something like that. I don't know Mark-it seems plenty of your fellow liberals think you would do just that.

patriot45
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I could just see one of these whack job libs showing up in a suicide vest to prove thier twisted point!

Rockntractor
08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I could just see one of these whack job libs showing up in a suicide vest to prove thier twisted point!
I don't think the constitution protects that!

FDK
08-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Must be quote a quandry for the DUmmies. A wingnut with a gun is someone ready to go off at any minute and engage in a mass slaying but for one of their own they'll bend over backwards to find a rationale.

(Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that there are some rather vocal pro-gun DUmmies that challenge the anti-gun DUmmies without reserve.)

noonwitch
08-25-2009, 08:47 AM
I support gun owner's rights, but it's really poor judgement to carry a gun to the town hall meetings. People are on edge, some are very angry, and something really tragic could happen really quickly.

AmPat
08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
This has all the potential of a comedy. Imagine groups of these quivering Nancys in a Mexican standoff with real men. I can visualize them piddling all over the floor.