PDA

View Full Version : KFC tests new sandwich with 'bun' of fried chicken

Gingersnap
08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
KFC tests new sandwich with 'bun' of fried chicken
Comments

August 25, 2009

BY ART GOLAB Staff Reporter/agolab@suntimes.com
It might just be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

KFC is selling a sandwich that uses two fried chicken filets instead of a bun.

Between the finger-lickin' pieces of chicken are two slices of bacon, melted slices of swiss and pepper jack cheese and a dollop of "the Colonel's sauce."

It's been dubbed the "Double Down," and "It's so much 100 percent premium chicken, we didn't have room for a bun," according to a KFC commercial posted on YouTube.

Is your mouth watering? Well, don't run down to your local KFC just yet. The Colonel is test marketing these calorie bombs only in Providence, R.I., and Omaha, Neb.

They're $6.99 (not including airfare) for a value meal including fries and a drink.

The calorie count has yet to be posted on KFC's Web site. But an independent analysis by the Vancouver Sun (yet another example of Canadians looking down on Americans) estimates the Double Down has 1,228 calories.

To put that into perspective, that's almost 300 calories more than a Wendy's Triple with Everything.

I can't say that I care about the calories but this is just kind of crazy. :eek:

Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/1732869,CST-NWS-kfc25.article)

Rockntractor
08-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I can't say that I care about the calories but this is just kind of crazy. :eek:

Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/1732869,CST-NWS-kfc25.article)
Not if you eat it with a side of their tasty biskets!

Gingersnap
08-25-2009, 10:35 AM

I'm still not over the shock of learning that they offer a bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, chicken, and cheese. Who the heck would eat that outside of a survival situation?

megimoo
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm still not over the shock of learning that they offer a bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, chicken, and cheese. Who the heck would eat that outside of a survival situation?The new megaton 'porker' generation !

Rebel Yell
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM

Popeye's has the best biscuits.

Shannon
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm still not over the shock of learning that they offer a bowl of mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, chicken, and cheese. Who the heck would eat that outside of a survival situation?

I don't need the cheese but the rest sounds delicious.

NJCardFan
08-25-2009, 11:27 AM
You've never had a Sheppard's Pie? Same concept. That bowl(sans the cheese) is a chicken dinner all in the same bowl. Not that unusual. In the South you'd eat fried chicken, mashed taters, and corn. Good meal.

Gingersnap
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
You've never had a Sheppard's Pie? Same concept. That bowl(sans the cheese) is a chicken dinner all in the same bowl. Not that unusual. In the South you'd eat fried chicken, mashed taters, and corn. Good meal.

Of course I've had shepherd's pie. I'm pretty sure that my recipe doesn't involve either breaded, fried meat or the same proportions of veggies/meat/potatoes. I know my portion control a lot different.

djones520
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
god... thinking about that is making me sick.

Then again, I did just sprint two miles...

stsinner
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
A pizza joint near my house makes a Thanksgiving special where they put turkey, mashed taters, cranberry sauce and stuffing on a sub roll...

Nubs
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Mutiple courses in the same package? It all comes out the same in the end.

stsinner
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Mutiple courses in the same package? It all comes out the same in the end.

... And out the same end....

JB
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I must have one. And then another one.

And then I will have one surrounded by two Krispy Kreme doughnuts, like that hamburger.

SarasotaRepub
08-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I must have one. And then another one.

And then I will have one surrounded by two Krispy Kreme doughnuts, like that hamburger.

I agree JB...how could anyone turn this down????

http://www.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2009/08/24/1251138594-kfcblarg.jpg

SLW will never keep me away form KFC if they market this nationwide. :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree JB...how could anyone turn this down????

http://www.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2009/08/24/1251138594-kfcblarg.jpg

SLW will never keep me away form KFC if they market this nationwide. :D

I could turn it down very easily!! :D It's a heart attack waiting to happen. :eek:

Rockntractor
08-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Popeye's has the best biscuits.

Actually Churches does. Popeyes needs to back off on the salt in the batter on their chicken, sometimes it burns my throat.

Shannon
08-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Actually Churches does. Popeyes needs to back off on the salt in the batter on their chicken, sometimes it burns my throat.

I have never eaten at a Churches and I've only eaten at Popeyes once. I don't remember if I liked the biscuits or not.

stsinner
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Look at this pizze. (http://gizmodo.com/5345094/im-sad-i-never-got-to-try-japans-646+calorie+per+slice-pizza-hut-double-roll) It has over 600 calories per slice with bacon-wrapped sausages in the crust...