PDA

View Full Version : Any Ladies Ever Have Induced Labor ?

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Any Ladies Ever Have Induced Labor ?

Hi all, I'm pregnant with my 4th and last child. My due date is September 5th, but my doctor has scheduled to have me induced this Friday, August 28th, because I have gestational diabetes :( with this pregnancy. Anyway, with my first three, labor came naturally so I'm curious to hear others' experiences with inductions. Does it tend to progress more quickly or slowly? Anything I should expect? Anyone mind sharing your stories?

~Peri

Phillygirl
08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on the baby, Peri!! Good luck with everything.

I don't have any first hand experience with the induced labor, so I can't add much to your question. Just wanted to say hello and congrats!

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Congratulations on the baby, Peri!! Good luck with everything.

I don't have any first hand experience with the induced labor, so I can't add much to your question. Just wanted to say hello and congrats!

Thanks, I can't wait actually, it's been a long hot summer.

Linda
08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
My water broke with both my babies before labor started...They induced labor on me with both....
My duration of labor was less than 6 hours with both....as to weather the pain was less or more I couldn't tell you....I personally think the length of labor has more to do with the baby than the mom....

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.....

djones520
08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
My wife was induced two weeks early with our first born. There where blood pressure concerns. As for whether or not it speeds the process up, I haven't a clue. She spent about 14 hours in labor, and she had just signed the forms to have them do a c-section when the kid finally decided to come out.

Rebel Yell
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
No, but I gave birth to a HUGE brownsnake this morning.:D

ralph wiggum
08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
No first hand knowledge either, Peri. Just wanted to wish you the best with everything! You have been missed around here.

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
My water broke with both my babies before labor started...They induced labor on me with both....
My duration of labor was less than 6 hours with both....as to weather the pain was less or more I couldn't tell you....I personally think the length of labor has more to do with the baby than the mom....

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.....

Thanks for the insight. My sister had a similar story. Her labor with induction was about 6 hours as well. None of my other 3 went that fast so it's encouraging to hear.

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 03:01 PM
My wife was induced two weeks early with our first born. There where blood pressure concerns. As for whether or not it speeds the process up, I haven't a clue. She spent about 14 hours in labor, and she had just signed the forms to have them do a c-section when the kid finally decided to come out.

14 hours sounds like about the norm in my experience. Of course I'm hoping to go much faster this time. The C-section is a fear of mine. I've never had one and don't want one. Although my doctors offered to do a C-section, I'll only agree to one as a last resort. I just hope it doesn't come to that. :o

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
No, but I gave birth to a HUGE brownsnake this morning.:D

Congratulations... I guess. :p

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
No first hand knowledge either, Peri. Just wanted to wish you the best with everything! You have been missed around here.

Thanks Ralph. It's good to see familiar faces still here. I miss hanging out here too.

BadCat
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Congratulations... I guess. :p

You gonna send me a picture of you all big and stuff?

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Heck no, I'm disgustingly huge IMO. I may post a pic in a couple of months, after I get back in shape. A before and after type thing.

MrsSmith
08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
My first child was by induced labor...the other 4 were natural. Of course, the first is hardest anyway, but I think the induction made it far worse. Compared to the other labors, the pains got much harder very quickly, instead of gradually over several hours. It did go fairly fast - but the pain was far worse than the labor with baby #2. I guess it's a trade-off...more pain, less time.

Hopefully, they're better at it by now. My first one turns 31 today. :D

Perilloux
08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
My first child was by induced labor...the other 4 were natural. Of course, the first is hardest anyway, but I think the induction made it far worse. Compared to the other labors, the pains got much harder very quickly, instead of gradually over several hours. It did go fairly fast - but the pain was far worse than the labor with baby #2. I guess it's a trade-off...more pain, less time.

Hopefully, they're better at it by now. My first one turns 31 today. :D

I can't imagine anything worse than what I went through with my second child (epidural didn't take). So as long as it isn't that bad I think I'll be OK. I'm just sooo ready to get it over with. This has been the most difficult pregnancy for me by far.

Shannon
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Congratulations! Sheesh, how old are the other ones now?

Rockntractor
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM

They need to find some way to grow them in a machine of some sort. It messes up the playground to much!

Shannon
08-26-2009, 09:01 PM
They need to find some way to grow them in a machine of some sort. It messes up the playground to much!

Nice.:rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
08-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Peri, good to hear from you and the best of luck with the delivery. We're hoping for the best for you and the new baby.

Can't share any experiences with labor being induced. My first was 3 weeks early, the 2nd son was a little over a week early.

Nubs
08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Go for the c-section. No muss, no fuss. Plus the kid comes out without the pointy head.

djones520
08-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Go for the c-section. No muss, no fuss. Plus the kid comes out without the pointy head.

The pointy head was freaky. I totally didn't know about that. I waited to see how the doc's reacted before I said anything, and when no one seemed to blink at it I figured it must be normal.

Jumpy
08-26-2009, 09:19 PM

You have got to be kidding. The recovery is a heck of a lot tougher... stomach is scarred, risks are always involved with any surgery. Say NO to the C-section unless it is needed in an emergency.

Perilloux
08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Congratulations! Sheesh, how old are the other ones now?

Thanks. 16, 14, & 7. A junior, a freshman, and a second grader.

Perilloux
08-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Peri, good to hear from you and the best of luck with the delivery. We're hoping for the best for you and the new baby.

Can't share any experiences with labor being induced. My first was 3 weeks early, the 2nd son was a little over a week early.

Thanks. My first was 3 weeks early, my second was 2 weeks early, and my third was 2 days early. Were it not for the gestational diabetes and the high birth weight of my last one (she was 9 1/2 lbs) we would be doing the induction.

Perilloux
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM

I hope it doesn't come to that. Even with all the pain and work, I cherish the experience of natural child birth.

Perilloux
08-27-2009, 07:14 AM
The pointy head was freaky. I totally didn't know about that. I waited to see how the doc's reacted before I said anything, and when no one seemed to blink at it I figured it must be normal.

:D

The pointy-ness goes away pretty quickly.

Perilloux
08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
You have got to be kidding. The recovery is a heck of a lot tougher... stomach is scarred, risks are always involved with any surgery. Say NO to the C-section unless it is needed in an emergency.

That's true, I'd forgotten about the prolonged recovery time. And I definitely don't want a scar. I've already told my doctors "only as a last resort".