PDA

View Full Version : New Yorker Cover Shows Obama In Turban With Gun-toting Michelle...

megimoo
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Ya_cant_make_it_up.htmlYa can't make it up

The New Yorker says it’s satire. It certainly will be candy for cable news.
At a press availability Sunday afternoon in San Diego, Senator Obama was asked, according to the diligent Maria Gavrilovic of CBS News: “The upcoming issue of the New Yorker, the July 21st issue, has a picture of you, depicting you and your wife on the cover. Have you seen it? If not, I can show it to you on my computer. It shows your wife Michelle with an Afro and an AK 47 and the two of you doing the fist bump with you in a sort of turban-type thing on top. I wondered if you’ve seen it or if you want to see it or if you have a response to it?”

Obama (shrugs incredulously): “I have no response to that.”

snip

The magazine explains at the start of its news release previewing the issue: “On the cover of the July 21, 2008, issue of the The New Yorker, in ‘The Politics of Fear,’ artist Barry Blitt satirizes the use of scare tactics and misinformation in the Presidential election to derail Barack Obama’s campaign.”

I’m sure Senator Obama is oh-so appreciative for The New Yorker’s help.

UPDATE -- Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton says: "“The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Ya_cant_make_it_up.html

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 07:23 PM
And Du is coming unglued. Look in the fireplace!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Obama/tny721.jpg

Goldwater
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Terrorist fist jab indeed.

Elspeth
07-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Apparently, the article itself is positive. I haven't read it yet.

Elspeth
07-13-2008, 09:44 PM
14 threads on DU at last count!

Edited to add: It seems the article is not very positive:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/21/080721fa_fact_lizza?printable=true

SarasotaRepub
07-13-2008, 09:54 PM
O.M.G.!!!!

That cover is PURE EEEEEEEVIL!!!! I love it!!! :D:D

No doubt Teh Rove is behind it!!!

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 10:01 PM
O.M.G.!!!!

That cover is PURE EEEEEEEVIL!!!! I love it!!! :D:D

No doubt Teh Rove is behind it!!!

Maybe not Teh Rove----but couid Bill or Hill be behind it? After all, she's the senator from NY, and I'm sure they have powerful friends there. Who knows?

SarasotaRepub
07-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe not Teh Rove----but couid Bill or Hill be behind it? After all, she's the senator from NY, and I'm sure they have powerful friends there. Who knows?

We have to get a copy of that and save it!!! :D

Odysseus
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Why wouldn't it be? The New Yorker is as much a Democratic Party press-kit as the rest of the New York City media with the notable exception of the NY Post. Upper-West Side liberals don't see anything wrong with being a 60's radical.

LibraryLady
07-14-2008, 12:21 AM
At least 16 threads on the Latest page right now. Maybe more, you can never tell what they're talking about!

Elspeth
07-14-2008, 12:26 AM
At least 16 threads on the Latest page right now. Maybe more, you can never tell what they're talking about!

Here's one thread that gets it:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=132&topic_id=6496539&mesg_id=6496539

Redstate_democrat Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-13-08 11:28 PM
Original message

Um...this New Yorker Story Paints Obama as a Cold, Calculating, Cut Throat Typical Politician

The story left me with my mouth wide open. I knew Chicago politics was fierce, but this story paints Obama as some kind of self-absorbed, cut throat leech whose only desire was to rise to the next political level, regardless of who he had to step on to get there. The stories they tell from the different people show an arrogant person. They show him as someone who accumulates people for his immediate and long term needs, and then when he is finished with them, kicks them off the moving bus. I did NOT like this article. More importantly, the cover art didn't even go with the article. The cover art dealt with the smears and the article didn't even address it. What the hell?

Elspeth
07-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Why wouldn't it be? The New Yorker is as much a Democratic Party press-kit as the rest of the New York City media with the notable exception of the NY Post. Upper-West Side liberals don't see anything wrong with being a 60's radical.

Actually the article is quite negative.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/21/080721fa_fact_lizza?printable=true

I just read the whole damned thing. No more St. Obama.

jeskibuff
07-14-2008, 06:43 AM
I did NOT like this article.Bad, naughty article! Article speak badly of my p-r-e-c-i-o-u-s, my precious Obama. Still we will vote for Obama, yes-s-s-s we will??? Don't care if Obama is cold, calculating politician, I will still vote for him but bad article should not say bad about the p-r-e-c-i-o-u-s-s-s-s!

SarasotaRepub
07-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Hee,hee. :D

vetwife
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Nailed it !:eek:

Sonnabend
07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
...and?

Did I, or did I not, mention the word "payback" recently?

Looks like DU can dish it out, but they sure as hell cant take it.

lacarnut
07-14-2008, 10:34 AM

A picture says a thousand words and that picture is damming .

linda22003
07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Damming? It holds back a river or stream? :confused: Since the title of it is "The Politics of Fear" I would take it as a satire on what some people think will be happening in the Oval Office if he's elected.

megimoo
07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Actually the article is quite negative.

I just read the whole damned thing. No more St. Obama.
Obama's honeymoon with the far left is rapidly drawing to a close !If he doesn't 'dash' back to the 'Evil Dark Side' quick they will cry .Hillary isn't 'evil' enough to follow the dictates of the Maoists and 'EU takeover of America' fans so under the buss she went.

They have NightMares of the American Electorate rising up and dumping their former poster boy and voting in a new Congress and Republican president !This 'No Drill' Congress will be in 'deep do do come November !

LogansPapa
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Damming? It holds back a river or stream? :confused: Since the title of it is "The Politics of Fear" I would take it as a satire on what some people think will be happening in the Oval Office if he's elected.

Bingo. Somebody actually gets it. :D

Elspeth
07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Bingo. Somebody actually gets it. :D

It is supposed to be over the top satire. What it ends up being is a snarky laugh for lots of folks who think Obama is a bad candidate for President.

For me, the article is far worse because it is realistic. It shows Obama how he really is: a cold, calculating politician who has no internal values of his own but uses people and ideas. After using them, he disavows them or just ignores them with no sense of guilt or remorse. There are some GREAT examples in that story and they bode ill for Obamaphiles.

Face it, kiddies. Obama used the left base to get the nomination and is now using the center of the American electorate to win the election. Once he takes office, he will ignore the electorate and sell his services to the highest bidder. (Speaking of high bidders, Rezco figures prominently in the story.)

BTW, did you all know that there are 57 Islamic states? I read that on another board this morning. Maybe that was where Obama planned to do his campaigning?

Zafod
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I think I will make it into a t-shirt.

LogansPapa
07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
You have to keep things simple for voters and unless you’re legally blind, you’re influenced by outrageous visuals like this (blind folk actually have to use their other scenses to make a voting decision). Rove had the gays to glom onto and the Christian Right ran off into the night like a vengeful mob with pitch forks and torches, looking for the nearest fag. This illustration exemplifies the average voter’s need for a focal point that demonises the candidate. To Hell with the issues - go for shit like middle names. Keep it simple, stupid!

megimoo
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
It is supposed to be over the top satire. What it ends up being is a snarky laugh for lots of folks who think Obama is a bad candidate for President.

For me, the article is far worse because it is realistic. It shows Obama how he really is: a cold, calculating politician who has no internal values of his own but uses people and ideas. After using them, he disavows them or just ignores them with no sense of guilt or remorse. There are some GREAT examples in that story and they bode ill for Obamaphiles.

Face it, kiddies. Obama used the left base to get the nomination and is now using the center of the American electorate to win the election. Once he takes office, he will ignore the electorate and sell his services to the highest bidder. (Speaking of high bidders, Rezco figures prominently in the story.)

BTW, did you all know that there are 57 Islamic states? I read that on another board this morning. Maybe that was where Obama planned to do his campaigning?

First he has to follow JFK'S Berlin speech to establish that he too is a German Pastry ,'Ein Berliner'!

Before we had Clinton's de rigueur Kennedy adoration now it's Obama's Turn as the first
'Half Black' JFK ,'The POTUS Candidate from Nairobi '!

The Far Left is stuck with this bird for the duration no matter what he does !

He will continue to swing back and forth like a pendulum until most thinking people will figure out he's just another political hack !

megimoo
07-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I think I will make it into a t-shirt.Look around they're already on the Net !

lacarnut
07-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Many voters do not know or give a hoot whether it is satire or not. They will look at the picture and that's it; it does put Obama in a very negative light.

LogansPapa
07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Many voters do not know or give a hoot whether it is satire or not. They will look at the picture and that's it; it does put Obama in a very negative light.

And that would be the point of it all: Most folks don’t have common sense enough not to be diverted by a silly picture. But I’ll bet dollars-to-donuts the weeks not out an McCain condemns it.

Elspeth
07-14-2008, 01:18 PM
And that would be the point of it all: Most folks don’t have common sense enough not to be diverted by a silly picture. But I’ll bet dollars-to-donuts the weeks not out an McCain condemns it.

He's got to condemn it. Otherwise he is a "racist."

LibraryLady
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
It isn't just the Obama campaign that's critical. A spokesman for John McCain's campaign agreed that the cover was "tasteless and offensive."

http://www.rnntv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8670137

lacarnut
07-14-2008, 01:43 PM

McCain already has condemed it. These two are like a couple of sissies in a fight. Oh, I did not mean to hit you so hard. Excuse me.

LogansPapa
07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
McCain already has condemed it. These two are like a couple of sissies in a fight. Oh, I did not mean to hit you so hard. Excuse me.

"A spokesman for John McCain's campaign" is not him - just a spokeshole.:cool:

SaintLouieWoman
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
You have to keep things simple for voters and unless you’re legally blind, you’re influenced by outrageous visuals like this (blind folk actually have to use their other scenses to make a voting decision). Rove had the gays to glom onto and the Christian Right ran off into the night like a vengeful mob with pitch forks and torches, looking for the nearest fag. This illustration exemplifies the average voter’s need for a focal point that demonises the candidate. To Hell with the issues - go for shit like middle names. Keep it simple, stupid!

Sometimes folks can learn from Bubba and Carville with their "it's the economy, stupid". Turnaround is fair play.

LogansPapa
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Sometimes folks can learn from Bubba and Carville with their "it's the economy, stupid". Turnaround is fair play.

Agreed. ;)

lacarnut
07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
"A spokesman for John McCain's campaign" is not him - just a spokeshole.:cool:

If you want to get technical, all the critters in DC are ass-holes.

LibraryLady
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Seems to be the "camps" that are bothered. Who knows what the candidates think!

Barack Obama and John McCain: New Yorker cover is 'tasteless and offensive'

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign is furious over a New Yorker mag cover illustration of a Muslim-garbed Obama fist-bumping his wife, Michelle, wearing an Angela Davis afro, a camo jumpsuit, and a rifle slung over her shoulder. An American flag burns in the fireplace.

NewyorkercovertotObama's camp calls it "tasteless and offensive." So for that matter does presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain's camp.

ahhhhhh, wait a minute:

Republican candidate John McCain agreed with his rival for the November election.

"I just saw a picture of it on television," McCain told reporters in Phoenix. "I think it's totally inappropriate and frankly, I understand if Senator Obama and his supporters would find it offensive."

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed7/idUSN1442783520080714

SarasotaRepub
07-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Before McCain said that he should have LOL. :D

I was thinking in work today that there is one person who is probably thrilled
with The New Yorker cover. Mr. Jesse Jackson! The spotlight is off his "nuts" comment.
:D

Odysseus
07-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Aw. c'mon... It's just a cartoon making fun of a guy in a turban. It's not like anyone would riot over something like that, right? :D

lacarnut
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Aw. c'mon... It's just a cartoon making fun of a guy in a turban. It's not like anyone would riot over something like that, right? :D

I am with you; the cartoon is just for shits and grins. Somehow I think it backfired on a liberal rag.

LibraryLady
07-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Matthews Worries 'Right' Will Turn New Yorker Cover into T-Shirt (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dickens/2008/07/14/matthews-worries-right-will-turn-new-yorker-cover-t-shirt)
By Geoffrey Dickens
July 14, 2008 - 18:39 ET

On Monday's "Hardball" Chris Matthews was so upset about the New Yorker's cover, depicting Barack Obama in a turban and Michelle Obama toting an AK-47, because he feared "the right will be using that as t-shirt material within the next couple of weeks."

Already on Cafe Press.:D

Odysseus
07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Already on Cafe Press.:D

Chris Matthews' thighs must be all tingly again. :D

lacarnut
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Chris Matthews' thighs must be all tingly again. :D Then he needs another Zell Miller smackdown.

megimoo
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM

Tweety Matthews Worries 'Right' Will Turn New Yorker Cover into T-Shirt

On Monday's "Hardball" Chris Matthews was so upset about the New Yorker's cover, depicting Barack Obama in a turban and Michelle Obama toting an AK-47, because he feared "the right will be using that as t-shirt material within the next couple of weeks.

" Matthews, along with The New Yorker's Ryan Lizza and the Atlantic Media's Ronald Brownstein also insulted all the non-New Yorker subscribers who didn't get the joke as unsophisticated, or as .. snip

MATTHEWS: Well the problem, the problem, Ryan is and you're as smart as I am about this. Let's face it there are lot of people out there who want to believe he's a Muslim, who want to believe that he's too exotic to vote for, for a lot of ethnic reasons. They prefer to think of a guy named Osama Bin, not Osama, there I make the mistake. Barack Obama with a middle name "Hussein," as a Muslim, as someone who is exotic and un-American. It's useful to them to have this kind of art.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dickens/2008/07/14/matthews-worries-right-will-turn-new-yorker-cover-t-shirt

jeskibuff
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Tweety Matthews Worries 'Right' Will Turn New Yorker Cover into T-Shirt

On Monday's "Hardball" Chris Matthews was so upset about the New Yorker's cover, depicting Barack Obama in a turban and Michelle Obama toting an AK-47, because he feared "the right will be using that as t-shirt material within the next couple of weeks.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dickens/2008/07/14/matthews-worries-right-will-turn-new-yorker-cover-t-shirt
I just tried finding the shirt on Cafe Press (good luck searching through 400,000 designs) and ended up my fruitless search on this same Newsbusters page. I'm going to have to remember to make regular visits to Newsbusters. Their little video reports are hilarious and fill in the void that was left when the Half Hour News Hour went off the air. Everyone should make an effort to check out the current one!

SarasotaRepub
07-15-2008, 07:56 AM
LOL! NewsBusted is pretty good. That's a keeper. :D

LibraryLady
07-16-2008, 12:35 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/Obama/darcy.jpg

jeskibuff
07-17-2008, 06:22 AM
LOL! NewsBusted is pretty good. That's a keeper. :D
There's a new edition on there now, this one hosted by Jodi Miller.

"Jesse Jackson apologized to Obama after wanting to castrate him. Hey Jesse...do you kiss your wife and mistresses with that mouth???"
http://www.MoreThanUltimate.com/Emoticons/rofl.gif

Odysseus
07-19-2008, 12:47 AM
There's a new edition on there now, this one hosted by Jodi Miller.

"Jesse Jackson apologized to Obama after wanting to castrate him. Hey Jesse...do you kiss your wife and mistresses with that mouth???"
http://www.MoreThanUltimate.com/Emoticons/rofl.gif

That's too funny!!!
http://www.morethanultimate.com/Emoticons/rofl.gif