PDA

View Full Version : District 9

FreeAmerican
08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
How many have seen this? Who was pissed when realizing the previews had misled you? I know I was.

Lars1701a
08-26-2009, 03:29 PM
It was a ok movie, wish they had shot it someone else other then South Africa.

Or had gotten a total tool to play lead roll.

linda22003
08-26-2009, 03:43 PM
How many have seen this? Who was pissed when realizing the previews had misled you? I know I was.

In what way do they mislead? I've barely heard of this movie, so I don't have any preconceptions about it.

Gingersnap
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Normally, I would have seen this already but I was afraid that it was one of those Humans = Evil, Aliens = Good type of things. I'm sick of that theme. Was it like that?

FreeAmerican
08-26-2009, 04:01 PM
SPOILER

The previews I saw didn't portray what really happened in the movie. I believed there would be more action than there was and I had no clue that it involved a man turning into a friggin alien. I expected it to be more thriller or suspense than have such a stupid/semi sappy story to it.

It is the Human=bad alien=good with a spin, the lead guy turns into an alien. It was ok but I am glad I didn't pay to see it.

Lars1701a
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Normally, I would have seen this already but I was afraid that it was one of those Humans = Evil, Aliens = Good type of things. I'm sick of that theme. Was it like that?

Thats another reason I disliked the movie, but the speical effects more then made up for it.

Phillygirl
08-26-2009, 05:04 PM

I didn't see the previews, but saw the movie. You got the theme right. Plus throw in some "military guys" are evil. But I've been told that it wasn't so much military guys are evil, but hired military guys, like Blackwater, are evil.

There were some good parts to the movie. But it was pretty predictable, very violent, and it stole a scene from Blackhawk Down. I did find one bit of commentary amusing, when they talked about the Nigerians, in their greatest scam...that was pretty funny.

I expect it will be an Academy Award nominee, as it fits the liberal narrative.

Gingersnap
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I didn't see the previews, but saw the movie. You got the theme right. Plus throw in some "military guys" are evil. But I've been told that it wasn't so much military guys are evil, but hired military guys, like Blackwater, are evil.

There were some good parts to the movie. But it was pretty predictable, very violent, and it stole a scene from Blackhawk Down. I did find one bit of commentary amusing, when they talked about the Nigerians, in their greatest scam...that was pretty funny.

I expect it will be an Academy Award nominee, as it fits the liberal narrative.

I'll skip it then. I'm seeing 'Final destination IV' next weekend anyway.

Shannon
08-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Will you take Tristan with you, please? He's begging me to take him to see that and I have zero desire to see it.

xavierob82
08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
At first it seemed intriguing--especially the highly interesting setting of South Africa--but then as I saw more of the previews it just looks like a mindless action movie. And the aliens look corny as hell.

PoliCon
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM

good LORD! the first one was bad enough - there are 4 of them now?? just goes to show that Hollywood will sell us anything . . . .

Gingersnap
08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
good LORD! the first one was bad enough - there are 4 of them now?? just goes to show that Hollywood will sell us anything . . . .

Are you kidding? Where else am I going to see two cheerleader types fried in tanning beds? Have you ever seen a teenage boy smashed flat by a huge plate glass window? I have and it was terrific! The sheer intricacy of the French teacher scene was pure cinematic gold and coupling the annoying John Denver 'Rocky Mountain High' to her ultimate destruction was nothing short of genius! :D

PoliCon
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Are you kidding? Where else am I going to see two cheerleader types fried in tanning beds? Have you ever seen a teenage boy smashed flat by a huge plate glass window? I have and it was terrific! The sheer intricacy of the French teacher scene was pure cinematic gold and coupling the annoying John Denver 'Rocky Mountain High' to her ultimate destruction was nothing short of genius! :D

It was the stupidest movie I've seen since jeepers creepers. :rolleyes:

FlaGator
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Its the principle that some movies are so bad that they are good. Plan 9 from Outer Space is a classic example of this. Mommy Dearest is another excellent bad movie.

Rebel Yell
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Apparently, you missed Jeepers Creepers 2.

Shannon
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM

Jeepers Creepers freaked me out a little bit. :o

BadCat
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Apparently, you missed Jeepers Creepers 2.

The chick in the first one was a babe....hasn't aged so well though.

http://cdn.maxim.com/18501-19000/18627_gina-philips-gm_l1.jpg