PDA

View Full Version : How was it for you, when you were a youngster, and sick?

Jumpy
07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
When I was sick, and puking as a kid.. preteen, etc, my mother was always there to hold my hair back, make sure I have a bucket, in case I did not make it to the bathroom. She was available to me all night, or day.

I did the same with my children. If they were sick, puking, and feverish, I had a bell beside their beds and they rang the bell, and I came with dry toast, chicken soup, water, etc. I just now asked my daughter if she ever puked without me knowing, or being at her side. No, she did not.

Okay.. I am going somewhere with this.... The neighbor lady.. her son is sick. He is just 11 yrs old. It is a bug that is going around. I told my friend that she has a long night ahead of her. This bug is brutal for about 24 hours.
My friend told me that she is taking her sleeping pill tonite, just like she does every night. OH MY GOD!!!

I took a water bottle up to the poor kid, and a bucket to puke in, along with sympathy, which goes a long way IMO.

How was it with you, when you were sick? Do you baby the hec k out of your kids when they are sick?? Did your mother do the same for you?

Shannon
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
My mom didn't miss work when we were sick. We were on our own. She would call and check on us though.:p

Jumpy
07-13-2008, 07:37 PM
My mom didn't miss work when we were sick. We were on our own. She would call and check on us though.:p
:eek: My mother always stayed home if we were sick.

I told my neighbor lady that her son will remember this when he is older.. her comforting him when he feels like he is dying.

I guess she needs her sleep.

I want to carry the bratty kid over to my place and mother him.

No kid should have to puke alone, if they are not teenagers.

LibraryLady
07-13-2008, 07:39 PM
My Mom always stayed with me when I was sick (heck, she still will if I let her know!)

I was right by my children through illnesses but I had to be very careful if they vomited. I have such a gag reflex that I would upchuck too.:eek:

lurkalot
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
If I was puking my mom had to be a long way away...it was my dad who got puking detail...
but a cool hand on a fevered brow, homemade soup..lots of attention

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 09:24 PM
:eek: My mother always stayed home if we were sick.

I told my neighbor lady that her son will remember this when he is older.. her comforting him when he feels like he is dying.

I guess she needs her sleep.

I want to carry the bratty kid over to my place and mother him.

No kid should have to puke alone, if they are not teenagers.

Jumpy, you were taught to be a good mom from your good mom. My mom did the same and I did the same for my kids.

I even baby the dogs. SR accuses me of making Blue a bubble dog. Of course he's in a protective bubble. He's 9 years old and has had epilepsy since he was 2. If he wasn't babied, he wouldn't be here.

I can't imagine your neighbor not being more concerned for her kid. You'll be the person he thinks kindly about and remembers.

Shannon
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Jumpy, you were taught to be a good mom from your good mom.

Whoa there! What are you trying to say?:p

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Whoa there! What are you trying to say?:p

Oops, meant to say "by your good mom". I meant we learn parenting from our parents. Sometimes it's good and we imitate, other times it's not so good and we avoid those behaviors.

My mom rarely gave encouragement or expressed much emotion. I tried not to replicate that. But she did hold the bucket and cooked the chicken soup and stayed home with my sister and me when we were sick.

She's been gone for about 7 years now, and I really miss her.

jendf
07-13-2008, 11:12 PM
My mom was a SAHM so she was always there when I was sick. She would set up the couch in the living room with blankets and pillows so I could rest but still have some TV. If I was puking, she would keep a paper grocery sack next to the couch for me. She would bring me medicine, soup, 7up, whatever I needed.

I think I got very lucky in the mother department.

Shannon
07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
If I was puking, she would keep a paper grocery sack next to the couch for me.

If Tristan is puking, I'm throwing his skinny butt in the bathroom. I'll bring him a pillow and blanket if it's an all nighter but there is no way I'm letting him throw up near my couch into a paper sack. Uck.

jendf
07-13-2008, 11:18 PM
If Tristan is puking, I'm throwing his skinny butt in the bathroom. I'll bring him a pillow and blanket if it's an all nighter but there is no way I'm letting him throw up near my couch into a paper sack. Uck.

It was just to serve as an emergency recepticle if I couldn't quite get to the bathroom in time. It wasn't meant as a replacement for the bathroom.

She didn't want me puking on the living room floor, hence, the paper sack.

noonwitch
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I rarely missed school for illness. I missed a week for chicken pox when I was 8-my mom brought me to work with her one day, and left me home alone another day.

I passed out at school in 9th grade, and my mom was actually home that day, and she wouldn't come get me. "You sound okay now" is what she said on the phone. "You'll feel better after swimming class".

I had a really bad flu in 11th grade, and missed a couple of days. She didn't stay home with me then, either, but I was 16.

My mom was a nurse. For us to miss school, we had to either throw up or run a fever over 100. Or have white spots on our tonsils that she could see by shining a flashlight down our throats.

Gingersnap
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
We worked too hard to make a big deal out of being sick - child or adult. Where we lived, things still had to happen regardless of the circumstances and you cannot feed 30 horses and bring soup to a kid simultaneously.

My folks were really good about seeking out professional medical attention if arterial spurting was involved, though.

To this day I can't stand to be pestered when I'm sick. I would be horrified beyond belief about the puking assistance offer. Mr. Snaps tried to do that with me when were just married. He tried it once. Now, I don't mind babying someone else and I've done it often in trivial cases and life and death cases. I just don't want it for myself. ;)

MrsSmith
07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd have to say that it depends on the severity. If the child is puking enough that they have trouble walking to the bathroom, I am most certainly there with water to rinse and spit, 7-up to sip, etc. If they puked once and then fell asleep, I'll go back to bed but remain alert to any weird noise and get up if they get sick again. If it's the next day, and they've kept some 7-up down, I may go to work. It would depend on how much we were both up during the night and the age of the child. Under 10, I'm home. Over 14, I'm gone. Between, judgment call...

Cold Warrior
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Can I just say that this would have been a much more interesting thread if you had retained only the first five words of the thread title?

Shannon
07-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Can I just say that this would have been a much more interesting thread if you had retained only the first five words of the thread title?

You're incorrigible.

I think Gator started a thread for you.:p

Jumpy
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM

:D We have probably had threads like that already.