PDA

View Full Version : Court orders Christian homeschooled girl to attend public school

megimoo
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
New Hampshire Court orders Christian homeschooled girl to attend public school

A Christian homeschool girl in New Hampshire has been ordered into government-run public school for having "sincerely held" religious beliefs. An attorney working with the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) has filed motions with a New Hampshire court, asking it to reconsider its order to send the 10-year-old homeschooled girl into public school. According to ADF allied attorney John Anthony Simmons, the court acknowledges that the girl in question is doing well socially and academically, but he adds that the court went too far when they determined that the girl's Christian faith was a "bit too sincerely held and must be...snip

The court order stated: "According to the guardian ad litem's further report and testimony, the counselor found Amanda to lack some youthful characteristics. She appeard to reflect her mother's rigidity on questions of faith." The guardian noted that during a counseling session, Amanda tried to witness to the counselor and appeared "visibly upset" when the counselor purposefully did not pay attention.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=659638

Rockntractor
08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
How much more of this will we take?

Shannon
08-27-2009, 10:24 PM
It was a dispute between the parents that was taken to court. Just another reminder that you need to think carefully about who you choose to have children with.

Rockntractor
08-27-2009, 10:28 PM
It was a dispute between the parents that was taken to court. Just another reminder that you need to think carefully about who you choose to have children with.

I didn't read the entire story. That puts a different light on it.

Gingersnap
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
The idea that homeschoolers need "more socialization" is absurd. All young humans are hard-wired to socialize and they do. Homeschooled kids interact a lot more with various teens and adults. They aren't confined to interacting with 20 other 10 year olds and so they are more socially adept than their age-classed peers.

The average 10 year old cannot answer simple questions posed by strangers such as "What's your favorite book?", "What part of history do you like best?", or "Who is your favorite painter/sculptor/poet?". The "average" homeschooler will have a wealth of opinion on these topics and be willing to spend up to 20 minutes discussing it even if you are over 25.

The "average" public school kid will have no skills to help him or her relate anybody outside of a very narrow age range. They are bored with both adults and small children.

AlmostThere
08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
The idea that homeschoolers need "more socialization" is absurd. All young humans are hard-wired to socialize and they do. Homeschooled kids interact a lot more with various teens and adults. They aren't confined to interacting with 20 other 10 year olds and so they are more socially adept than their age-classed peers.

The average 10 year old cannot answer simple questions posed by strangers such as "What's your favorite book?", "What part of history do you like best?", or "Who is your favorite painter/sculptor/poet?". The "average" homeschooler will have a wealth of opinion on these topics and being willing to spend up to 20 minutes discussing it even if you are over 25.

The "average" public school kid will have no skills to help him or her relate anybody outside of a very narrow age range. They are bored with both adults and small children.

What Ginger said. ;)

noonwitch
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM

It's different, for sure, for a custody issue then it would be if the government were to come to the house and force the family to send the kid to public school.

In divorce or custody issues, it's not about the same thing-it's about which parent offers the best plan for the child, or negotiating issues of religion between the two parents. If it's one of those things where dad is somewhat secular and mom has converted to a fundmentalist religion and it is influencing the kid to the point where the kid's attempts to witness to everybody have become a problem, I can see where the court might want her out of the mother's 24/7 influence, without removing her from the mother's custody. It's a compromise.

stsinner
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Forced socialization is bullshit! With so many bad parents today, I'm dreading my daughter starting pre-school next month.. That's just an opportunity for the poorly parented kids to hurt her-to take things from her and make her cry, etc... We attended a "group" session one time for socialization, and I couldn't stand the bratty damn kids ripping things out of her hand right in front of their parents and running around like little psychotic idiots.. My daughter at 3 just stood there with a scowl watching the hyperactive idiots run around the classroom like they had no manners or common sense, and the parents just looked on lovingly... It was disgusting. I'd say that about 60% of parents today suck and are too permissive thinking that their kids are the happiest if they're left alone. They think their parenting role is just to ensure the safety of the kids, but kids are happiest when they have rules and schedules and know exactly what's expected of them..

And I'd like to know just what the problem is with rigidity in your religious beliefs.... Years ago I believe this would have been called devotion.

jinxmchue
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Simple solution: move out of New Hampshire.

FlaGator
08-28-2009, 01:55 PM
What a lot of judges and law makers over look is that the freedom to associate implies a freedom not to associate if one doesn't want to.

linda22003
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't read the entire story. That puts a different light on it.

Megi sort of counts on that. A close reading of the story is far less "end of teh world!" :rolleyes:

MrsSmith
08-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Megi sort of counts on that. A close reading of the story is far less "end of teh world!" :rolleyes:

Not really:

The situation was then analyzed by the court-appointed guardian, who made a recommendation to the court. During the evaluation process it was determined that Amanda was excelling in her schooling and used curriculum that was approved by her school district. The curriculum used in her home schooling was created by certified teachers, and Amanda routinely took standardized tests.

Furthermore, Amanda attended her local public school to take art, Spanish, and P.E. classes. Her public school instructors also commented on the fact that Amanda was well-rounded in her social skills. But a sticking point arose concerning Voydatch's Christian faith.

This court decision was made solely on the fact that she is a Christian. In every other area, they found no problems whatsoever...but because the child is a devout Christian, she MUST be forced into public school and fully exposed to the secular humanist religion immediately.

Gingersnap
08-29-2009, 12:56 AM
It looks like she wasn't shy about being upfront as a believing Christian among her public school peers. I mean she wasn't simply a cultural Christian. This annoyed her Dad and the school.

I wonder how this would have gone if her mother was a believing Muslim who home schooled but her Dad had been simply secular. Would the the school psychologists, counselors, etc., been so adamant that the girl needed secular "socialization" to off-set her Mom's religious training?

How about if the Mom and girl were black Muslims? How about if the the Mom and girl were pagan? Native American? LDS? Vegans with a "spiritual" twist? Into to Yoga as a lifestyle?

wilbur
08-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Not really:

Help, help! I'm being repressed!

This court decision was made solely on the fact that she is a Christian. In every other area, they found no problems whatsoever...but because the child is a devout Christian, she MUST be forced into public school and fully exposed to the secular humanist religion immediately.

The court decision seems to have been made over a parental dispute which involved religion... the father was being marginalized in the eyes of his child as a result of the circumstances. So, he seems to have sued for a chance to have his say in the kids upbringing, as the article implied both parents agreed too.

But sure.. thats exactly the same as the state swooping of its own accord and demanding that a Christian home-schooled child be taught in the ways of secular humanism! It must be the end times! You couldnt get anymore batshit insane if you tried....

Just how do you think the state should settle such disputes... by simply identifying which parent is Christian then awarding them sole custody and decision making power over the child?

Rockntractor
08-29-2009, 12:59 AM
It looks like she wasn't shy about being upfront as a believing Christian among her public school peers. I mean she wasn't simply a cultural Christian. This annoyed her Dad and the school.

I wonder how this would have gone if her mother was a believing Muslim who home schooled but her Dad had been simply secular. Would the the school psychologists, counselors, etc., been so adamant that the girl needed secular "socialization" to off-set her Mom's religious training?

How about if the Mom and girl were black Muslims? How about if the the Mom and girl were pagan? Native American? LDS? Vegans with a "spiritual" twist? Into to Yoga as a lifestyle?
Good question although we all no what the outcomes would have been!

Gingersnap
08-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Good question although we all no what the outcomes would have been!

Yes, we do. The mother's Christianity obliterated any other religious/lifestyle defense.. Had this girl been a home schooled.....Muslim......Mormon.....hippy.......Hi ndu.......Gay......Amish......Native American......(fill in the blank) who was articulate and steadfast in the face of adult questioning, she would have been viewed as a peer role model.

Since her mother and herself are simply "Christians", she's just a victim.

Rockntractor
08-29-2009, 01:23 AM
We are just now starting to wake up. We have been far to passive for to long! I hope it is not to late.