PDA

View Full Version : Jaycee Lee Dugard bore children of kidnapper, lived in backyard compound, authorities

Gingersnap
08-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Jaycee Lee Dugard bore children of kidnapper, lived in backyard compound, authorities say

By Robert Salonga and John Simerman
Contra Costa Times

http://i27.tinypic.com/a1507q.jpg
Phillip Garrido, suspect in the Jaycee Dugard abduction.

Posted: 08/27/2009 09:23:58 AM PDT
Updated: 08/28/2009 03:11:19 AM PDT

ANTIOCH For 18 years, since two strangers snatched 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard off the street in the morning light as her stepfather watched in disbelief, she has dwelled in a hidden backyard, raising two girls fathered by one of her abductors, authorities said.

It appears Dugard, now 29, may never have left the two-acre property in Antioch , following her abduction as she walked to a bus stop near her South Lake Tahoe home.

It was not until recently that her two daughters, ages 11 and 15, were noticed by neighbors and then police when Phillip Craig Garrido took them to pass out religious literature Tuesday on the campus of UC Berkeley.

The details authorities revealed Thursday drew a mix of joy that Dugard remains alive, and shock at her fate since 1991.

She and the girls lived on Walnut Avenue, in an elaborate backyard compound of sheds, tents and outbuildings with outside locks one soundproofed. Hidden behind a fence, trees and tarps, they were undetectable even to the parole agents charged with checking on Garrido, a registered sex offender, authorities said.

They had rudimentary, camp-like bath facilities. Power was supplied by electrical cord.

"None of the children had ever gone to school or been to a doctor," said El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar, who fought back tears as he announced the discovery. "They were kept in complete isolation."

Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_13214564?source=most_viewed)

BadCat
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
That poor, poor girl.
They should gut this S.O.B.

Gingersnap
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I have to say that I'm pretty skeptical about his Christian conversion. If he really had turned to Christ, he would have turned himself in to the police after freeing this woman and her daughters. :(

AmPat
08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
God help this woman and her two children. :(
Thank you Lord for her survival.

Rockntractor
08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
The guys wife went on day after day knowing her husband had a sex slave with children he had fathered locked up in the backyard for 18 years!

FlaGator
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
The guys wife went on day after day knowing her husband had a sex slave with children he had fathered locked up in the backyard for 18 years!

I pray that she's in jail and gets the exact same sentence when they are convicted.

Gingersnap
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
The wife is in jail for conspiracy and some other things. The Brit tabs (always the best on this stuff) had aerial views of the "compound". You really couldn't tell that this slave compound existed if you just looked from the fake backyard toward the "other" backyard. It's very secluded.

The parole officer and the neighbors have to be going through the tortures of the damned right now. I can't even imagine the awful second-guessing they are doing tonight. :(

The woman seems kind of potentially "okay" but it's looking like the kids have been too deprived of social interactions to escape this unscathed.

Shannon
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM

That's sick. This whole story is sick. That poor woman. Those poor kids. It must be so strange for her parents. I'm sure they accepted her as dead a long time ago.

Rockntractor
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
That's sick. This whole story is sick. That poor woman. Those poor kids. It must be so strange for her parents. I'm sure they accepted her as dead a long time ago.
I have so many questions. Could she watch tv, did she have books to read anything other than the children to occupy her mind!

Zathras
08-28-2009, 11:22 PM
And this case is getting stranger and stranger.....

Link sought between Garrido and series of prostitute killings

By Peter Hecht

Published: Friday, Aug. 28, 2009 - 1:30 pm

Law enforcement officials are looking for a link between Phillip Craig Garrido, accused of abducting Jaycee Lee Dugard in 1991 and holding her for 18 years, and a series of prostitute killings in the early 1990s.

"Pittsburg police this morning have sealed off the house in Antioch to investigate potential connection between a series of murders of prostitutes in the Bay Area in the early 1990s," Contra Costa County Sheriff's Capt. Daniel Terry told The Sacramento Bee.

Several bodies were found in an industrial location where Phillip Garrido supposedly worked, Terry said.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest/story/2146268.html

noonwitch
08-31-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm glad that the girls were rescued and will be able to turn to their family for help, now.

When I saw the footage of the compound on the news, I was shocked that the police hadn't been out there to check it out previously. It looked like a possible site for a meth lab.

The UC Berkeley campus cop who figured this out deserves some serious credit, for being more observant than the average campus cop, and checking out a suspicious looking man who was hanging out with teenaged girls.

AlmostThere
09-02-2009, 04:19 AM
How much longer do I have to look at this son of a bitch's face every time I visit CU?

AmPat
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Agreed. Can we at least get one of our resident expert phot-shoppers to operate on his mug?