PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Cool and cloudy on The Mountain. I just got back from The Island. The Wife and I went for a trip in The Car.

Okay, enough of that.

Vacation was nice. We had almost a week, then got back late on a Friday and have the Weekend to get ready to go back to work.

It is nice to get away for a few days. A change of scenery, time to ourselves as a married couple, time to read and watch movies and just not be pressured to do any particular thing. For me, I had time to do some writing. We had a very pleasant time.

http://www.edistobeach.com/edisto-beach-photos/cache/family-photos/Pictures6.jpg_595.jpg

The thing is, for the most part, a vacation is maybe twice a year. Other time off is reserved for going to see family, taking care of things that are required, etc.

But, we also get a weekend here and there. Even a day or so can recharge the batteries. Time away is important.

TOTD: Time away. It doesn't have to be a whole week, or even weekend. It can be an hour or two, or even a few minutes. What do you do for brief periods (not vacations, etc.) to get away in a mental or spiritual sense?
I find that reading is an important escape for me. It focuses my mind and also entertains and/or enlightens me. Reading is an important escape, as well as being an important avenue for learning.

Music is also an important escape for me. I love every kind of music, from classical to rock to country and so on......Music helps me to get outside myself and just groove in the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ClTktEf4CA

Exercise. Walking. Cycling. Hiking. I try to build in time in the day for physical activities. I work out a lot of tension and frustration in exercise.

http://hikingthecarolinas.com/featured_photo/LeConte_6.jpg

Cooking. I love to cook. I work with people who often times are very ill and who have had major disruptions in their lives. It is stressful, but rewarding. But to put together ingredients and make a good dish or a good meal allows me to exercise a different kind of effort on the behalf of others, and also affords me a different kind of reward for my efforts.

Sweet Potato Pudding

2 cups butter
4 cups grated raw sweet potatoes
1 cup Georgia cane syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped Georgia pecans
1 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a heavy black skillet, melt butter. Mix remaining ingredients except eggs. Beat eggs and add last. Place in very slow oven and bake 1 to 2 hours until a light crust forms on top.

Testing note: Baking time will depend on size of pan used. If you do not have an iron skillet, a baking dish will do just fine. Adjust baking time accordingly. This is almost custard-like when baked.

That recipe was from the Georgia Department of Agriculture Market Bulletin this week.

I also enjoy a decent cigar and a drink. I had several cigars last week as I sat on a balcony and watched the dolphins in the river. I watched the marsh and the sea birds. It was very nice.

Just curious: what do you do on a day to day basis to step back from the world?

Gingersnap
08-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Finally a Sunday thread I can chime in on.

Mr. Snaps goes to estate sales and that sort of thing, I ski, hunt and fish. We also go to church, of course. I never lack for mini-breaks - I can be reading a book, knitting a sock, watching one of those appaling LTM things and I'm fine.

I also shoot trap. :)

lacarnut
08-30-2009, 02:13 AM
The weather forecaster is full of it. It was supposed to rain Sat.. Rain predicted for Sunday. Going shopping tomorrow to load up on groceries to take to the beach Tuesday. Will be gone for the month.

TOTD: I enjoy driving my sports car around, going to the beach and have gotten interested in collecting coins. My dad left me a nice collection and have added to it in the last several months. Been doing research into buying a vacation home in South America.

Shannon
08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm off to get my nails done then I'll stop by the office for awhile.

TOTD: I read.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Cool. One thing I enjoy is putting in miles on a bicycle. The repetition of the strokes, adjusting to terrain, lets the tires just eat up miles.,,,that can clear the mind and the endorphins are nice too.

http://www.trailmonkey.com/USpages/colorado/lonesomewhist_clim3.JPG

BadCat
08-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I grab my Sako TRG and a box of .338 Lapua Mags, a man sized target and head south about 5 miles.

Nothing clears your mind like practicing 1300 yard head shots.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Finally a Sunday thread I can chime in on.

Mr. Snaps goes to estate sales and that sort of thing, I ski, hunt and fish. We also go to church, of course. I never lack for mini-breaks - I can be reading a book, knitting a sock, watching one of those appaling LTM things and I'm fine.

I also shoot trap. :)

I enjoy shooting. When I go to the indoor pistol range, I like the feeling of isolation I get on the line. I wear full hearing protection so most of what I get is a big whump when the shots go down range. Other people are around, but I'm in my own little world.

LTM?

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I grab my Sako TRG and a box of .338 Lapua Mags, a man sized target and head south about 5 miles.

Nothing clears your mind like practicing 1300 yard head shots.

I've never shot at anything over 100 yards. What kind of scope do you use for that range?

Teetop
08-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice cool morning in no-man's land, mid 90's later today.

TOTD; I do many things to "escape"...

Shoot, hunt, play poker, drink beer, sit with my best friend at his house discussing various subjects about life or our experiences in life. Look after my best friend's house while he is gone on weekends, sitting on the front porch watching chickens, kittens, dogs or native birds. So relaxing...

I don't have many close friends, it's the way I like it. But the friends I do have, I hold close. I would do anything for them, as they would for me.

I am also a "people watcher" at large gatherings or at airports, malls, etc. You see all kinds of people and how they interact with others, some nice, some very scary.

BadCat
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I've never shot at anything over 100 yards. What kind of scope do you use for that range?

Burris 6x24

RobJohnson
08-30-2009, 02:41 PM
We are having another warm day with tempatures over 10 degrees above avg. There is crzay talk that parts of Las Vegas might hit 116!

The good news is, where I live, we have not broken 110 all weekend! But of course, I live in paradise. :)

Today I think I will get a haircut & go for a ride and see some parts of town that I have yet to see.

TOTD:

What do you do for brief periods (not vacations, etc.) to get away in a mental or spiritual sense?

Prayer of course. I also listen to music while I stare at the mountains from my recliner or watch the birds fight over crumbs. I also enjoy doing laundry& cleaning, it winds down the day for me.