PDA

View Full Version : Three Dogs.

Rockntractor
08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
There are three 6 month old pups sitting on the side of the road a mile from my house.I can't pick them up I have seven dogs. I wish people would stop dumping them that way.:mad:

megimoo
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
There are three 6 month old pups sitting on the side of the road a mile from my house.I can't pick them up I have seven dogs. I wish people would stop dumping them that way.:mad:you know you will !

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
At one time we had 12 dogs, all of them taken in as lost dogs.

We have four now, all of them lost dogs.

And 3 cats. Same.

I know what you mean.

Rockntractor
08-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I didn't tell my wife they are there.They look like part Jack Russell.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
I didn't tell my wife they are there.They look like part Jack Russell.

I really don't like Jack Russells. Too damned much energy.

I like hillbilly dogs that lay about like I do.

Rockntractor
08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I really don't like Jack Russells. Too damned much energy.

I like hillbilly dogs that lay about like I do.
I like um all.

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I like um all.

Okay. You got me. I even like dogs I don't like.

There. Satisfied? :p:D

Rockntractor
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/jack_russell4-2.jpg_w450.jpg

PoliCon
08-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Okay. You got me. I even like dogs I don't like.

There. Satisfied? :p:D

One of these days I'll get me either a Basset Hound or an English Bulldog. :)

Rockntractor
08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
One of these days I'll get me either a Basset Hound or an English Bulldog. :)
I haven't had much luck with the Bassets they are lacking in the brains department!

PoliCon
08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I haven't had much luck with the Bassets they are lacking in the brains department!

I know. One of the reasons why I like em ;)

Rockntractor
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I know. One of the reasons why I like em ;)
I did have a half basset half weenie dog that was pretty smart.She was a piece of work!

Bubba Dawg
08-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Years ago, we took in a pair of bassett hounds. Sam and Shorty. I watched them follow a scent up the trunk of a fallen tree, as far as they could go before the steepness got them.

Good dogs.

SaintLouieWoman
08-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Years ago, we took in a pair of bassett hounds. Sam and Shorty. I watched them follow a scent up the trunk of a fallen tree, as far as they could go before the steepness got them.

Good dogs.

When my first greyhound, Jessie, had bone cancer, I was on a canine cancer support site. A young woman from Tennessee had a beautiful lemon bassett hound named Mollie. She stopped off to visit in STL with Mollie, a darling bassett. The inevitable happened to both poor dogs with cancer. But during that visit, my big ole lanky fawn greyhound got along very well with Mollie, the bassett. That dawg even stole bread from her kitchen cabinets, an accomplishment for a dawg so short.

BTW, did you take in those 3 young pups? Seven is a lot of dogs. I admire your ability to keep that many. We have a limit of 3 in STL County or I'd probably have more.

stsinner
08-31-2009, 08:54 AM
http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/jack_russell4-2.jpg_w450.jpg

Jack Russels are supposed to be really smart! When I took my dog to obedience class, the Jack Russels were always the teacher's pet.. :)

noonwitch
08-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Jack Russels are supposed to be really smart! When I took my dog to obedience class, the Jack Russels were always the teacher's pet.. :)

Jack Russells are less annoying than most little dogs. I always liked the one who was on Frazier, and I know people who have them and they are pretty smart little dogs.

I'll stick with my norwegian elkhound-I got her at the Humane Society, but she has turned out to be the best dog I've ever had. She's trustworthy with children, she is mostly obedient (she even climbs into the bathtub for her baths), and she's pretty smart.

Rebel Yell
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM

I'd have a house full of Jack Russells if they wouldn't come with divorce papers. They are too smart sometimes. They also tie ass with anything, no matter how big. I had another Jack owner tell me, "If they were the size of Rottweilers, we'd have to kill them all." Oh yeah, he uses his for hog hunting. Says they make the best "nut dog".

SaintLouieWoman
09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd have a house full of Jack Russells if they wouldn't come with divorce papers. They are too smart sometimes. They also tie ass with anything, no matter how big. I had another Jack owner tell me, "If they were the size of Rottweilers, we'd have to kill them all." Oh yeah, he uses his for hog hunting. Says they make the best "nut dog".

My first dogs after graduating from college were schnauzers. Little Schnapps, the daddy of the other two, was a terror. Those terriers are fearless. I showed him in obedience trials, but had to watch him. He'd try to take down bulldogs, German sheps, etc.

Someone at a training class said that I didn't train him with a hard enough hand, so he tried snapping the choke chain too hard. He came up with a handful of blood. The folks servng as "judges" in the practice sessions wouldn't check Schnapps mouth. They would check rotties and dobermans. Schnapps was indeed a terror, a dog with an indomitable spirit. Loved that little rascal. :)

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
The puppies were gone yesterday morning so some one must have picked them up. I hope they got a good home!

Bubba Dawg
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
When my first greyhound, Jessie, had bone cancer, I was on a canine cancer support site. A young woman from Tennessee had a beautiful lemon bassett hound named Mollie. She stopped off to visit in STL with Mollie, a darling bassett. The inevitable happened to both poor dogs with cancer. But during that visit, my big ole lanky fawn greyhound got along very well with Mollie, the bassett. That dawg even stole bread from her kitchen cabinets, an accomplishment for a dawg so short.

BTW, did you take in those 3 young pups? Seven is a lot of dogs. I admire your ability to keep that many. We have a limit of 3 in STL County or I'd probably have more.

We pretty much take any/all who show up. The numbers vary. We have two pretty old dogs and two younger ones. And 3 cats.

As of today.

Tomorrow, who knows?

The most we ever took in at one time was 9. Yes 9.

A female Pit Bull with 8 pups.

Yes, 8.

The mother led 8 pups across busy Hwy 441 to our restaurant. We finally got/caught them all. Took them in until we gave them away.

We kept the mother. Named her Bessie. We had her til she died of old age.

Good memories. :)

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
There was a big dish of food on the side of the road where the puppies were today.

megimoo
09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Send one to Shannon !

Shannon
09-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Send one to Shannon !

I will take one. I think I'm going to the pound this weekend to look.:eek:

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 08:29 PM

Thats the best way to do it and that way you save their lives:D too.

BadCat
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM

Just get a Savannah Cat and don't worry about dogs anymore....

http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//7000/000/40/0/17040.jpg

Shannon
09-02-2009, 08:39 PM

I know. But I remember the last time I was at the pound...they had "expiration dates" for the poor babies and I wanted to take them all home.:(

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I know. But I remember the last time I was at the pound...they had "expiration dates" for the poor babies and I wanted to take them all home.:(

Limit yourself to only three.

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Unfortunately my dogs like to eat pussy!

BadCat
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM

They might have trouble with one of these.

If I get one, I plan to feed it Cocker Spaniels.

Shannon
09-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Knock it off.:mad:

Rockntractor
09-02-2009, 08:44 PM

http://www.pets4you.com/savanna.html

BadCat
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.pets4you.com/savanna.html

Cool!

One of the breeders has F1's.

Gingersnap
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM

I've told this story before but for the benefit of the n00bs:

When I was first married we did not have a pot to piss in. We paid cash for everything and you can believe I wasn't turning my nose up at "used" meat or stale bread at the grocery store. I had never been without a dog so long before and I wanted one but Mr. Snaps sensibly said that we could hardly feed ourselves let alone a dog.

I used to go to the shelters and pounds on Saturday to look. I never took any cash or my checkbook and we didn't have any credit cards then. I deliberately made sure that I could not succumb. I was leaving one pound and the dog dude said that I hadn't seen this one puppy. I told him I was just looking but not in the market. He said just play with the puppy - he's lonely.

The guy brought out a 3 month old English Setter with awesome confirmation. All English Setters are hard-wired to be sweet. I told the guy he's nice but I have no money. The guy put the puppy in my arms. The puppy licked me.

I reiterate the "no money" thing. He tells me I can have the dog for free.

I take the dog home and Mr.Snaps is doomed and he knows it. Two days later the dog is sick. Turns out he has kennel and AND distemper. Most pups don't pull through distemper. Mine did after hundreds of dollars we couldn't afford.

Luke grew up to be a brilliant bird dog, bon vivant, and all around jewel. Around 14 he went deaf and a few years later, blind. He still had a stellar life. We finally put him down at 18 when he could no longer eat enough to maintain a normal weight.

Cruising the pound - been there, done that, and have the happy memories. :D