PDA

View Full Version : Final Destination IV

Gingersnap
08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
We saw this over the weekend. I had been looking forward to this for months but I was also pretty apprehensive about seeing it in 3D. A lot of the time, tech will trump plot in these kinds of movies. Also, I wasn't sure if the movie would have the same intricate death scenes, jokes, insider references, and dark humor that made me a complete fan of the first three movies.

My worries were groundless. The 3D experience totally enhances this installment without overpowering the plot. The movie was clearly made by people who were fans of the other movies. A dedicated fan will find tons of insider stuff here - too much to catch in only one viewing.

The theme remains the same: death has a design. Can you alter Death's design or even defeat it? There are plenty of small references to the original movie that tie the "design" theme and the back story together to support the latest menace.

This is a throughly enjoyable popcorn horror flick that won't disappoint fans on any level and it's a good introduction to the franchise for newbies.

Warning: all the FD movies are graphic by nature (and sometimes use dark humor in otherwise horrifying scenes) but FDIV is rather more so in this regard than the others. The 3D effect can makes these scenes very gory. FDIV isn't for you if you're seriously bothered by explicit gore. On the other hand, with all it's "gotcha" moments, FDIV is the perfect pre-make-out movie for the teen set.

Rebel Yell
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
They weren't showing it in 3D at the theater I saw it at. I knew going in it was a bad, but entertaining movie. They all have the exact same plot, bad acting, and bad script. Great death scenes though. I enjoyed it.

Shannon
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I have to go see this sometime this week. I don't know why. I'm sure it will be available to rent within a month.

jinxmchue
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
I will never understand the appeal of watching and eagerly anticipating people's gory deaths.

noonwitch
08-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I will never understand the appeal of watching and eagerly anticipating people's gory deaths.

I watched the first one with my then-teenaged cousins. I didn't like it. I don't believe that anyone has a certain time that they are supposed to die, so I don't even find them to have much suspense. You're right, it's all about watching elaborate death scenarios.

I don't like slasher films, either, but their popularity is my generation's fault. The first films in all the slasher film series were made when I was a teen-Halloween, Friday The Thirteenth, Nightmare on Elm Street.

Gingersnap
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM

It's not much different from watching and eagerly anticipating people's criminal careers (Godfather), public humiliation (Caine Mutiny), murderous day jobs (Mission Impossible, The Bourne Identity) or sexually random hobbies (any chick flick). :D

princyjoshu
09-01-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah even i saw its nice i have seen all the episodes of final destination its amazing man,,,,