PDA

View Full Version : Randy Weaver surrenders after an 11-day siege of his Idaho cabin

megimoo
08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
August 31, 1992: Randy Weaver surrenders to end an 11-day siege of his Idaho mountain cabin

"These are the very people who will be coming after the average American when and if Revolution happens !"

Another Federal Fiasco! BATF's entrapment of Randy Weaver led to the violent deaths of three people. Says his defense attorney, Gerry Spence: "What happened to Randy Weaver can happen to anybody in this country." Seeing his dog, Striker, shot to death by masked intruders clad in camouflage, Sammy Weaver, 14, fired back in fear for his life.

The 4 ft., 11" tall youngster was hit in the arm, then shot in the back as he turned to run for home. He died instantly, killed by an agent of the federal government.
Cradling her 10-month-old daughter in her arms, Vicki Weaver stood in the doorway of her home, mourning her slain son, unaware that she herself had only seconds to live. In an instant a bullet tore into Vicki Weaver's face, blew through her jaw and severed her carotid artery. The bullet was fired from 200 yds. away by an agent of the federal government.
What had the Weaver family done to bring FBI snipers and submachine- gun-toting U.S. marshals to the woods around their cabin on Ruby Ridge in northern Idaho? Why did the government act as though the Weavers had forfeited the protections guaranteed all Americans by the United States Constitution? Who made the decisions that led to their unjustified deaths and also to the death of deputy U.S. Marshall William Degan?
snip
Among the federal law enforcement commanders was Richard Rogers, the head of the FBI's hostage rescue team (HRT), which includes its snipers. On the flight out, he took an extraordinary step--he decided to alter radically the prescribed rules of engagement of FBI sharpshooters.
Normally, agents can only shoot when they are facing death or grievous harm. But 11 snipers that were positioned around the Weaver cabin were given new orders:
"If any adult in the compound is observed with a weapon after the surrender announcement is made, deadly force can and should be employed to neutralize the individual." This meant Randy Weaver's wife would be fair game. It went on:

Read the rest

http://land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/weaver.shtml

megimoo
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
RANDY WEAVER: SIEGE AT RUBY RIDGE
Idaho vs Randy Weaver

As the gunsmoke began to clear on Ruby Ridge, prosecution of the Weaver case was assigned to U.S. Attorney Ron Howen. Randy Weaver and Kevin Harris were commended to the Ada County Jail and eventually charged with ten counts, including murder, aiding and abetting murder, conspiracy and assault. With the wealth of information to sift through, the trial would not begin for another eight months, during which time Kevin and Randy remained incarcerated.

On April 13, 1993, a jury consisting of seven women and five men, along with six alternates was selected at the Federal Courthouse in Boise, Idaho, with U.S. District Court Judge Edward J. Lodge presiding. The trial began the following day and ultimately lasted for a total of 36 days. During the trial, the prosecution called 56 witnesses, while the defense, confident that the government would destroy their own case, called none. The entire ordeal was bizarre to say the least and almost everyone of the prosecution's witnesses contradicted or countered the testimony of a previous witness. The prosecution spent several days going over the Weavers' religious views, trying to establish that they were racist and had a long-lived conspiracy to violently confront the government. Marshall service witnesses described pre-siege scenarios to root Weaver out of his cabin, however when pressed by the defense, they said they never considered simply knocking on the door and arresting him. In addition, government agents admitted that the FBI had tampered with evidence and that the crime scene photos given to the defense were phony reenactments. Even though the prosecutor knew this, he had failed to inform the defense and it was only during the trial that these facts came to light. For prosecutorial misconduct, the judge ordered the government to pay part of the defense attorneys' fees an action almost unheard of in a criminal case. Prosecutor Ron Howen was also was forced to apologize in open court.

The defense countered the prosecution's conspiracy arguments by stating that the Weaver family had moved to northern Idaho in 1983 to practice their religion in peace. They wanted to be left alone. It was then alleged that Randy had been set up on the weapons' charge and that federal agents sought to arrest him when he refused to become an informant. The resulting failure- to-appear charges were then brought because Randy Weaver was given an incorrect court date and then indicted before that date. The defense continued by arguing that the shootout was a direct result of federal agent Arthur Roderick's actions, in which he killed the Weaver family dog in proximity to Samuel Weaver, which caused Samuel to return fire in self-defense. Finally, the defense claimed that Vicki Weaver was murdered in cold blood by FBI sniper Lon Horiuchi.

megimoo
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Judgements Passed
As the trial came to an end, Prosecutor Howen began his closing arguments, during which time he reiterated the Weavers' racist views and hatred for the government.
It was obvious to those in the courtroom that Howen was unnerved, however everyone was surprised when he collapsed during the middle of his closing statement, telling the judge, "I can't go on." When Gerry Spence made the closing arguments for the defense, he drilled home earlier statements regarding misconduct by government officials and again claimed that the Weavers acted in self-defense.
"This is a murder case, but the people who committed the murder are not here in court," Spence told the jury as he finished his closing argument.
Following the trial, the jury deliberated for nearly three weeks before finding Kevin Harris not guilty of murder or any of the other charges that had been brought against him.
While Randy Weaver was also found not guilty of any federal felony counts, the jury did find him guilty of failing to appear in court and guilty of violating his bail conditions.
Randy was then sentenced to 18 months in jail, 14 of which he had already served and fined him $10,000. After the jury announced its decision, Gerry Spence told {The New York Times}, "A jury today has said that you can't kill somebody just because you wear badges, then cover those homicides by prosecuting the innocent.
What are we going to do now about the deaths of Vicki Weaver, a mother who was killed with a baby in her arms, and Sammy Weaver, a boy who was shot in the back?" Randy Weaver also spoke out from behind bars while serving his remaining four months, and denied being a white supremacist or having had any affiliation with white supremacist groups.
"I'm not a white supremacist. I'm a white separatist," Weaver said. "I was born white. I can't help that.
If I was black I'd probably be affiliated with Louis Farrakhan's group, but as it is, I don't belong to anything. I don't believe I'm superior to anyone, but I do believe I have the right to be with my own kind of people if I choose to."
After a Justice Department investigation, it reported that the late disclosures by the prosecution during the trial were, "unnecessary, were embarrassing and damaged the integrity of the government...the late production of materials related to the shooting incident report were particularly devastating to the prosecution.
The FBI is responsible for that incident. We hope that corrective procedures are instituted to prevent a similar occurrence in the future...although we do not view that incident as having been intentional, we think that if more care and attention had been directed to the original search and production of the materials, it would have been avoided."

megimoo
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Epilogue

Following his release from jail, Randy Weaver flew back to Iowa with his children and filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the government for the killing of Samuel and Vicki Weaver.
In an out-of-court settlement, Randy was given $100,000 and his daughters were granted $1 million apiece.
"The government got caught with its pants down," Randy stated after the settlement.
"They broke a whole bunch of serious laws, they were totally embarrassed, and they settled our lawsuit out of court because they didn't want a lot of questions asked.
This became a personal vendetta with the government when I laughed in the face of the agent who offered to drop my charges if I became an informant. They admitted in court that crime is about as serious as a traffic violation."
Federal prosecutors eventually ended a two-year long probe into several FBI officials for their role in the Ruby Ridge standoff.
Following the investigation, Danny Coulson, former head of FBI headquarters, was given a letter of censure;
Michael Kahoe, who had been involved in researching the rules of engagement, was censured and suspended for 15 days;
Richard Rogers, head of the hostage rescue team, was censured and suspended for 10 days;
Larry Potts, the man who had approved the rules of engagement, was censured;
Eugene Glenn, Ruby Ridge field commander, was censured and suspended for 15 days, and
Lou Horiuchi, the HRT "Blue" sniper/observer team leader, received no punishment for his actions, which resulted in the death of Vicki Weaver.
Randy Weaver eventually relocated to Montana with his daughters and purchased a car lot.
Kevin Harris moved to Republic, Washington, where he currently works as a welder. The Weaver cabin still stands on Ruby Ridge and, as of this writing, remains unoccupied.
Since the shoot out at Ruby Ridge, Randy Weaver has been deemed the patron saint of militant gun owners, a living martyr whose infamous shoot-out with federal agents helped ignite "A seething backlash in the country," as the N.R.A. puts it.
This backlash, along with the Branch Davidian's standoff in Waco, Texas, was later said to have caused the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City, by Timothy McVeigh.

NJCardFan
08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
This was Clinton's justice department at work. Look at Reno's legacy: Ruby Ridge, Waco, Elian Gonzalez. And to think that Alberto Gonzalez was being dragged through the mud for firing 3 lawyers. But no AG in history has a body count like Reno: 78(76 for Waco and 2 for Ruby Ridge). Let me hear liberals talk about John Ashcroft or Gonzalez again. Had this happened under Bush, the Democrats would hold Bush personally responsible.

FeebMaster
08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
This was Clinton's justice department at work. Look at Reno's legacy: Ruby Ridge, Waco, Elian Gonzalez. And to think that Alberto Gonzalez was being dragged through the mud for firing 3 lawyers. But no AG in history has a body count like Reno: 78(76 for Waco and 2 for Ruby Ridge). Let me hear liberals talk about John Ashcroft or Gonzalez again. Had this happened under Bush, the Democrats would hold Bush personally responsible.

Riveting tale, chap.

Ruby Ridge was on Bush's watch.

noonwitch
09-01-2009, 10:00 AM

The Governor of Arkansas does not command the ATF.