View Full Version : Coroner: Boulder teen died from poppy-pod tea

08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
"They had better check those MU Mu Dancing Hippies ! Ifni 17 Hippies cd "

An autopsy has revealed that a Boulder teenager who died in July after drinking poppy-pod tea had lethal levels of morphine in his system indicating the brewed beverage killed him, Boulder County Coroner Tom Faure said.
Jeffrey Joseph Bohan, 19, of Boulder, was found dead in his friend's Boulder home about 6 p.m. July 21 after drinking poppy-pod tea the night before with his brother, according to Boulder police.
Investigators suspected the Fairview High graduate, who was going to Colorado State University, died from the psychoactive tea, which is brewed from the plant that produces opium. But they couldn't be sure until the Coroner's Office confirmed Monday that Bohan's cause of death was morphine overdose, and his manner of death was accident.
Witnesses, after Bohan died, told police that he and his 21-year-old brother drank the tea about midnight July 21 at their family's Navajo Place home and then went to a friend's house in the 4300 block of Hanover Avenue to play video games. They fell asleep about 4 a.m., witnesses told police, and a few hours later the older brother awoke to find Bohan not breathing.
Faure said he can't tell, based on the autopsy, when exactly Bohan died that morning. He said investigators also found a small amount of THC in Bohan's system, consistent with using marijuana. But, Faure said, the THC didn't play any role in Bohan's death.
The brothers had bought the tea from an Internet site about a week before using it, according to police.

Bohan is the second person to die from poppy-pod tea in Boulder.


09-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I heard about this. I have some opium poppies as specimen plants but I feel no need to harvest my own opium. :eek:

Apparently these idiots buy dried poppy stems and seed heads over the Internet. The dried stalks are meant to be used in dried flower arrangements. Then they steep the poppy seeds in hot water and drink the "tea". From a chemistry point of view, this is a pretty damn haphazard method of extracting the active compound. You'd never be able to control or even know what you were getting.