PDA

View Full Version : OK, lets talk cordless drills

gator
09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I decided to get a new cordless drill today.

I have had several and they only seem to last a couple of years. When you try to replace the battery you find out it cost as much as the original drill almost.

I decieded to get a Rigid.

A Rigid is a heavy duty drill that has a lifetime warranty, including the batteries.

Hopefully this will be the last cordless drill I will ever buy.

http://www.ridgid.com/assets/thumbnail.asp?path=/ASSETS/01C7EA16B1EE4E1AA72B12861E3FAB49/R86006_1_Final.jpg&key={20DE32DF-9757-4C22-A45E-43EC0B6A3D98}

Features
in. Single Sleeve Locking Carbide Chuck tightens bits quickly and securely
Automatic Spindle Lock open and close chuck with one hand
High Impact Torque Adjustment Ring, 24 Position Clutch for durability and lighter weight

Patented Slide In Battery Pack easily load-n-lock with one hand
2-Speed Transmission for matching power to the task
Ergonomic Overmold Gripping Areas provides user comfort and better grip
High Capacity Lithium-Ion Batteries longer run time more work per charge

Specifications
Volts: 18 V
Torque: 455 in.lb.
Chuck: in.
No Load Speeds: 0-450 / 0-1,600 r/min. (RPM)
Clutch: 24 position
Charger: 18 V output
120 V input
Charge Time: 30 minutes

Includes
Two 18 Volt Lithium-Ion batteries, a 30 minute charger, and heavy duty contractor bag

Bubba Dawg
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Did you mean to post this in the watermelon thread? :D

Space Gravy
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
18V is pretty heavy duty. You should be good for a long time. I like Milwaukee.

SarasotaRepub
09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Very nice! I have a 14 Volt Ryobi.

Rockntractor
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I have an 18 volt Milwaukee,18 volt makita and an 18 volt ryobi. I like the makita the best. You can't beat the warranty on the home depot rigid tools . Good choice gator!

FlaGator
09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I buy cheap ones form Harbor Freight for about $16. The one I have now is a Drill Master and does everything that I need it to do. If it ever breaks then I just go get a new one.

Bubba Dawg
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I buy cheap ones form Harbor Freight for about $16. The one I have now is a Drill Master and does everything that I need it to do. If it ever breaks then I just go get a new one.

I googled it. The store on Beach Blvd. I didn't remember the name but I've been in it.

gator
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM

That is actually a good strategy.

I did that for years.

I had to pay $200 for the Rigid and I don't know if I will ever get the money out of it seeing that I only use one about a dozen times a year.

I just liked the idea of a lifetime warranty on something that usually doesn't last two years.

RobJohnson
09-02-2009, 12:44 AM

I've used some of HF's tools and found the cordless products did not work very well. Simply no torque! It would be ok for hanging a picture, etc but that's about it.

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 12:50 AM
So... You finally got a Rigid tool. Today you are a man. Congrats, gator.

:D

FlaGator
09-02-2009, 06:09 AM
That is actually a good strategy.

I did that for years.

I had to pay $200 for the Rigid and I don't know if I will ever get the money out of it seeing that I only use one about a dozen times a year.

I just liked the idea of a lifetime warranty on something that usually doesn't last two years.

It's one of those things where I don't use a drill a lot but when I need one I need one. I can understand someone who uses one for a living or who does a lot of work with one needing something more substantial. A contractor friend of mine buys the Harbor Freight ones and gives them to new laborer's who don't have their own tools. If they lose or break one it's no big loss.

gator
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
So... You finally got a Rigid tool. Today you are a man. Congrats, gator.

:D

It has been a long time coming. I am very proud of myself.

jinxmchue
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
It has been a long time coming. I am very proud of myself.

Just be careful where you point that thing. You could put someone's eye out.